PDA

View Full Version : Airport in real life

sweetaction
Nov 13, 2001, 05:59 PM
Does anyone out there use Airport in their home? We have a three story house and want to get Airport to avoid drilling. How is it through walls? floors? doors? shower curtains? ahehaehae, thanks in advance for your feedback.

jefhatfield
Nov 14, 2001, 09:54 AM
i have a friend who uses it in his 2 story duplex...range is good but not as published, of course

Macwizzard
Nov 15, 2001, 07:06 PM
We use airport. Our newtork operates fine. Our house is only two stories, but we can go outside even. The range is pretty good, even through walls. The signal could be effected by the density of your walls. The WIFI waves will carry through a wall made primarily of sheetrock, no sweat, but super thick brick walls can decrease your signal strength significantly. There are five walls between my computer and out base station. I still have a great signal quality.

Go for it. Save yourself the trouble of weakinging your building's structural integrity.

sweetaction
Nov 15, 2001, 07:10 PM
Thanks. Yeah we have a home office arrangement and ifigured inveesting in wireless networking would make it an easy transition moving into an office when the time is right. Cool cool.

evildead
Nov 15, 2001, 07:15 PM
I want to make my G4 on the 3rd floor the base station and I want 2 other Macs and 2 PC's to work with the Airport. One of the Mac's is on the bottom floor... I have seen reange extenders... but they are like $300.00!

mikedman
Nov 15, 2001, 08:06 PM
the card inside the basestation is a lucent orinoco, I think.

if you drill a hole in the back you can mount an external antenna for great range. If you use a full height antenna you can get much better range than the 1/4 height in the airport.

some links to help you out.

airport hack
http://macintouch.com/airportantenna.html

general info
http://www.seattlewireless.net/

antennas for 2.4ghz
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/antennas_2400.html

sweetaction
Nov 15, 2001, 08:13 PM
I dove in and bought the AirPort2 base station and a card when I opened a referral check today. Boo yeah. I will test it out with the one card, and then fill the other Macs and PCs and have some fun. We'll see how it goes.

Do those booster things really work?

Disdain
Nov 15, 2001, 08:37 PM
Has anyone tried testing the difference in strength when having no lights on and lots of lights on?

I have heard that light boosts signal strength...

sparkleytone
Nov 15, 2001, 11:06 PM
at my compusa store we have a base station hidden in a training room that is about 200 ft away from the farthest mac with a card installed (you know the oh so regular "back corner") and 90% of the time we get full signal on all of them.

as far as signal loss goes it is my understanding that going through any material that contains alot of moisture will either severely hinder or altogether block your signal.

i am anxious myself to try it, as i am buying a linksys wireless router on sunday...unless someone can justify the $120 difference to me for the base station.

sweetaction
Nov 16, 2001, 12:46 PM
Question...

(watch me doing my research AFTER I have ordered it)

I have a 768 sDSL from Speakeasy. Does that mean I am going to get a fast connection even through my Airport?

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

NadeemF
Jan 19, 2002, 04:28 AM
Has anyone any more feedback on the Linksys wireless router, it looks very attractive to me?
UK prices (without 17.5% sales tax)
Linksys - 125 (0.91 exchange rate)
Apple Airport - 211.91 (0.71 exchange rate)

Despite Linksys being overpriced in the UK (real exchange rate is about 0.60 pounds/dollar), it is still significantly cheaper than Apple's, but my concerns are:-
1) Configuring the machine - is this okay if I have no access to Wintel machines
2) Appletalk routing - is Appletalk routing permitted between wired and wireless clients in Linksys's router?

krossfyter
Jan 19, 2002, 05:44 AM
i wonder why they didnt just call it the iPort

anshelm
Jan 19, 2002, 06:16 AM
To sweetaction...

Apple's AirPort supports 11 megabits per second, which equals 11264Kb (the little "b" means bits and the big "B" means bytes). Your 768Kb falls *well* within the range of the 11Mb rating of the AirPort, so I would imagine that yes, you should get screaming fast connections through it.