Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
Does anyone out there use Airport in their home? We have a three story house and want to get Airport to avoid drilling. How is it through walls? floors? doors? shower curtains? ahehaehae, thanks in advance for your feedback.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i have a friend who uses it in his 2 story duplex...range is good but not as published, of course

Macwizzard

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2001
Holladay, UT
IT MIGHT WORK!

We use airport. Our newtork operates fine. Our house is only two stories, but we can go outside even. The range is pretty good, even through walls. The signal could be effected by the density of your walls. The WIFI waves will carry through a wall made primarily of sheetrock, no sweat, but super thick brick walls can decrease your signal strength significantly. There are five walls between my computer and out base station. I still have a great signal quality.

Go for it. Save yourself the trouble of weakinging your building's structural integrity.

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
word

Thanks. Yeah we have a home office arrangement and ifigured inveesting in wireless networking would make it an easy transition moving into an office when the time is right. Cool cool.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I have the same issue

I want to make my G4 on the 3rd floor the base station and I want 2 other Macs and 2 PC's to work with the Airport. One of the Mac's is on the bottom floor... I have seen reange extenders... but they are like $300.00!

mikedman

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2001

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
plunge... taken

I dove in and bought the AirPort2 base station and a card when I opened a referral check today. Boo yeah. I will test it out with the one card, and then fill the other Macs and PCs and have some fun. We'll see how it goes.

Do those booster things really work?

Disdain

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2001
Australia
Has anyone tried testing the difference in strength when having no lights on and lots of lights on?

I have heard that light boosts signal strength...

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
at my compusa store we have a base station hidden in a training room that is about 200 ft away from the farthest mac with a card installed (you know the oh so regular "back corner") and 90% of the time we get full signal on all of them.

as far as signal loss goes it is my understanding that going through any material that contains alot of moisture will either severely hinder or altogether block your signal.

i am anxious myself to try it, as i am buying a linksys wireless router on sunday...unless someone can justify the $120 difference to me for the base station.

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
signal strength

Question...

(watch me doing my research AFTER I have ordered it)

I have a 768 sDSL from Speakeasy. Does that mean I am going to get a fast connection even through my Airport?

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

NadeemF

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2002
Cambridge, UK
Linksys feedback

Has anyone any more feedback on the Linksys wireless router, it looks very attractive to me?
UK prices (without 17.5% sales tax)
Linksys - £125 (0.91 exchange rate)
Apple Airport - £211.91 (0.71 exchange rate)

Despite Linksys being overpriced in the UK (real exchange rate is about 0.60 pounds/dollar), it is still significantly cheaper than Apple's, but my concerns are:-
1) Configuring the machine - is this okay if I have no access to Wintel machines
2) Appletalk routing - is Appletalk routing permitted between wired and wireless clients in Linksys's router?

anshelm

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2002
To sweetaction...

Apple's AirPort supports 11 megabits per second, which equals 11264Kb (the little "b" means bits and the big "B" means bytes). Your 768Kb falls *well* within the range of the 11Mb rating of the AirPort, so I would imagine that yes, you should get screaming fast connections through it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.