PDA

View Full Version : Palm OS to remove mac OS syncing for next version

MacBytes
Feb 10, 2004, 09:02 PM
Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Palm OS to remove mac OS syncing for next version (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040210220226)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

guyute
Feb 10, 2004, 09:07 PM
That really is a bummer. Apple should revive the newton for us.

Nermal
Feb 10, 2004, 09:08 PM
No Palm support? Apple will have to introduce some sort of PDA now! A new Newton maybe? iNewton? :D

innervision
Feb 10, 2004, 09:19 PM
who needs 'em! :rolleyes:

heathpitts
Feb 10, 2004, 10:34 PM
what would be the reason for this? Can't they just create conduits and let them be integrated into isync. Much like the palm conduits from apple do now. This is a stupid move on Palm's part.

At least Missing Sync will be available.

Keynoteuser
Feb 10, 2004, 10:38 PM
but that would be a GOOD idea, and we all know Palm is out of those these days.

If I gotta buy sync software anyway, then my next PDA will either be a phone or a PocketPC. No reason to bother with an over priced underpowered Palm if you still need to buy sync software for it.

aswitcher
Feb 10, 2004, 11:38 PM
I find palms decision pretty damn annoying...lets hope Apple look at working closely with other PDA/Phone providers with iSync etc so business people can still sync

SiliconAddict
Feb 10, 2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by innervision
who needs 'em! :rolleyes:

Ahh the excuse of the delusional. Better be careful or the only company you might have left to say that to is Apple themselves. Get a clue guys. This is what happens with a less then 5% market share. Palm did a major rewrite on how the PIM apps sync with the Palm Desktop. This would have required a "supposed" rewrite of OS X's Palm desktop and with Apple's market share as it stands its a legit question to pose: Is it worth development costs?

As an FYI http://www.brighthand.com/article/Whats_Not_in_Cobalt

Fortunately, a third party has already stepped forward. Mark/Space is going to release a version of its Missing Sync application for Cobalt. This will allow existing Mac conduits for other third-party applications to still work.

However as always it'll cost you which is not a good thing.

Mr.Hey
Feb 10, 2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Ahh salmon skin roll.

:rolleyes: <----this is an indicator, but as to what it indicates is vooshing over your head....duck!!....quack....yup its a duck alright. :D

LimeiBook86
Feb 11, 2004, 12:49 AM
This makes me mad. I hope my Palm lasts for a while. I'd hate to buy a new one if I need to buy additional software to work with it. This is just very stupid. I think a lot of people will think twice before buying a Palm now. Pocket PCs and CellPhones seem to be the wave of the future...

Come on Palm...you used to be cool...

wrldwzrd89
Feb 11, 2004, 04:40 AM
I'm not at all happy about this news. I have a Palm, but I don't use it very much, and I think this news might just be the final nail in its coffin. Not only that, but if this turns out to be true, I'm not buying a Palm again. I think events like this are what convinced Apple that PDAs are overrated and therefore not worth producing.

random1
Feb 11, 2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Ahh the excuse of the delusional. Better be careful or the only company you might have left to say that to is Apple themselves. Get a clue guys. This is what happens with a less then 5% market share. Palm did a major rewrite on how the PIM apps sync with the Palm Desktop. This would have required a "supposed" rewrite of OS X's Palm desktop and with Apple's market share as it stands its a legit question to pose: Is it worth development costs?

More relevant than Apple's market share is what portion of Palm's base are Apple users. I'm not sure of the answer. My first suspicion was that it would be higher, as there will be very few Apple users who go with WindowsCE solution, so they'll almost all be palm-based.
So, let's imagine that maybe 10% of Palm's market is Apple users. If that's the case, that 10% is history if there is no mac-syncing.

shamino
Feb 11, 2004, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. I guess when my m515 dies, I'll have to buy its replacement from somebody else.

I'm not going to buy a Windows PC just to be able to back up my Palm's database.

If they're so gung-ho over writing me off as a customer, I'm writing them off as a vendor.

Bye-bye Palm. It's been a nice 6 years. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.