PDA

View Full Version : Leopard installation on a PowerBook G4?

Changepoint
Nov 14, 2008, 12:38 AM
My wife recently purchased a new Mac Book and it came with a OS X 10.5 installation CD which I promptly slotted in my old PowerBook G4 1GHz laptop hoping to get some free Leopard action. After it restarted the PB to begin the installation process, nothing happened, just a lot of CD drive reading noises and the beach-ball timer on a blank screen. I had to power-down the computer and eject the disc to restore the PB to normal.

Was I hoping for too much? I tried a clean install (hold C down when powering up) but the same happened, nothing. I know you can't jump from 10.3 to 10.5 but surely with a clean install anything is possible?

thechidz
Nov 14, 2008, 12:47 AM
you cant use a restore disc from a macbook to install on a pb. you need to purchase an upgrade

kennyli
Nov 14, 2008, 04:30 AM
My wife recently purchased a new Mac Book and it came with a OS X 10.5 installation CD which I promptly slotted in my old PowerBook G4 1GHz laptop hoping to get some free Leopard action. After it restarted the PB to begin the installation process, nothing happened, just a lot of CD drive reading noises and the beach-ball timer on a blank screen. I had to power-down the computer and eject the disc to restore the PB to normal.

Was I hoping for too much? I tried a clean install (hold C down when powering up) but the same happened, nothing. I know you can't jump from 10.3 to 10.5 but surely with a clean install anything is possible?

1. Installation DVD will not allow you to do so.

2. You may not have a DVD drive in your G4. The installation disk is a DVD not CD.

3. May be this thread is useful: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=597682

dubhe
Nov 14, 2008, 04:32 AM
Leopard is very slow on my PB12, so I run Tiger instead with the Dashboard disabled.

koobcamuk
Nov 14, 2008, 04:54 AM
Leopard is very slow on my PB12, so I run Tiger instead with the Dashboard disabled.

What are your 12" PB specifications?

dubhe
Nov 14, 2008, 06:09 AM
What are your 12" PB specifications?
1 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD

koobcamuk
Nov 14, 2008, 09:53 AM
1 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD

That explains it then. I am running 1.33Ghz and 1.25GB RAM - and it's fine. Under 1GB RAM for 10.5 is going to be a big ask, I think.

Tiger's fine anyway - I just can't deal with inconsistency.

macrem
Nov 14, 2008, 10:43 AM
Leopard runs tip-top on my (well, not mine anymore. I gave it to a friend) PB 1.67GHz w/ 1.5GB RAM.

PhilaScott
Nov 14, 2008, 11:07 AM
That explains it then. I am running 1.33Ghz and 1.25GB RAM - and it's fine. Under 1GB RAM for 10.5 is going to be a big ask, I think.

Tiger's fine anyway - I just can't deal with inconsistency.

Leopard has been running fine on mine.. PB12 1.0 ghz 40gb HDD 1.25gb memory...

dubhe
Nov 14, 2008, 11:31 AM
Leopard has been running fine on mine.. PB12 1.0 ghz 40gb HDD 1.25gb memory...

Don't get me wrong, Leopard ran on my 1 GHz PB, but not that swiftly, my point was Tiger was much faster, which I am sure it would be on your PBs too.

alphaod
Nov 15, 2008, 04:40 AM

The point isn't about whether or not your PB can run Leopard or not; you can't use the Restore DVD for a MacBook on your PowerBook. Because the Restore DVD is a restore and not an installation disk, it can only work for a specific model.

nick9191
Nov 15, 2008, 05:02 AM
Indeed it is a restore disk. They do that so people don't steal their software without paying for it ;)

Changepoint
Nov 15, 2008, 12:20 PM
Indeed it is a restore disk. They do that so people don't steal their software without paying for it ;)

Bugger :o

Changepoint
Nov 15, 2008, 12:21 PM
The point isn't about whether or not your PB can run Leopard or not; you can't use the Restore DVD for a MacBook on your PowerBook. Because the Restore DVD is a restore and not an installation disk, it can only work for a specific model.

I should have known it would be too good to be true. i guess I should look for a copy of tiger on ebay, seems like my 256 mb of ram would find Leopard a strain.....

koobcamuk
Nov 17, 2008, 08:17 AM
I should have known it would be too good to be true. i guess I should look for a copy of tiger on ebay, seems like my 256 mb of ram would find Leopard a strain.....

Need at least 512MB RAM for 10.5... at least

windowpain
Nov 17, 2008, 08:34 AM
seems like my 256 mb of ram would find Leopard a strain.....

Although you need 512mb to install leopard, you don't actually need that to run it.
I'm pretty sure, It will run on 256mb of ram (I ran it with 384mb), but its going to be s.....l......o.....w......!......!
Max out the ram if at all possible and It'll run relatively well on a powerbook.

(once you've bought a copy that is. ;))