Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
is that officially possible ? This article says :

With iTunes 7, when you attach an iPod you own to a computer authorized with your Apple ID, iTunes will offer to copy protected content from the iPod to your computer.

I did it and nothing happens ! My problem is that I have an iPod Nano, I purchased a lot of music via iTunes on my old notebook PC. Now I bought a new MBP, sold my PC and I want to move my purchases to my MBP ....

When I click the "Transfer Purchases from iPod" nothing happens !!

Thanks,
Tex

nobody ?

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Have you authorized your new computer on the same iTunes account as your old one? If what you want to do is going to work at all you'll have to make sure you do that first. Try going to the iTunes Music Store on your new computer and signing in with the AppleID and password you used with your old computer.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
If you're comfortable with Terminal, type in the following. It will make all hidden files visible on your computer/iPod. Then you can navigate around your iPod with Finder, and copy any files you want.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder

To make the files invisible again, enter the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
ok but there are a lot of folders and mp3 files and I dont know which to copy

Folders like "F00, F01..."

Isn't there an easier way to do this ?

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
ok, I've just found out that the file manager I use "Disk Order" has a nice iPod Explorer which allows to copy what I need very easily :)

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
If you actually are transferring back 'protected' files (e.g. DRM-ed music purchased from the iTunes Music Store), you'll still need to authorize your new computer on your iTunes account or the music won't play in iTunes. When you go to play the music iTunes will ask you if you want to authorize this computer, then all you have to do is enter the password for the account and it should work fine.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
@sandman42, I thought that the songs from iTunes weren't protected by a DRM anymore. In any case, I imported them again im my MBP and I wasn't asked to authorize whatever :)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
@sandman42, I thought that the songs from iTunes weren't protected by a DRM anymore. In any case, I imported them again im my MBP and I wasn't asked to authorize whatever :)

It doesn't matter, if it's bought from the iTunes store it won't play unless it's been authorised on that particular computer.

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
Just go ahead and get a program to do it for you. If you're not super-techy (like me) then it will make it easier. Some have been suggested already; I suggest you give them a try :)

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle

Apple doesn't DRM iTunes Plus songs, but 'regular' songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store still have DRM. And, just to be clear (you may well know this already but some people are still confused), songs that you import yourself (e.g. from your own CDs) won't have DRM and can be freely transferred to any computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.