PDA

View Full Version : Hidden files

lawicko
Nov 14, 2008, 05:55 AM
Hi!
I created simple file browser for iPhone/iPod Touch. However, I discovered that there are some files (for example iTunesDB and all music synced through iTunes) that are not visible. I found nice tool named DiskAid, and it revealed these files when I plugged my iPod to my Mac and explored filesystem. Now I want to do the same with my file browser - I want to show hidden files just as DiskAid shows them.
I looked through NSFileManager class, but I don't see anything that can help me with the task, so can anyone give me some clues how to reveal hidden files?

jnic
Nov 14, 2008, 09:30 AM
Do you mean for browsing files on the device itself? The sandbox will prevent you from viewing almost everything unless the device has been jailbroken.

lawicko
Nov 14, 2008, 09:49 AM
Well, I can browse my device's filesystem using NSFileManager, so I guess you are wrong with the sandbox thing (Maybe I'm not allowed to write but I'm allowed to read, and that's all I need). The only problem I have is with hidden files and directories. My device is not jailbroken.

firewood
Nov 14, 2008, 10:59 AM
Which OS version are you using? Apple accidentally allowed reading file directories outside the app's sandbox in 2.0, but said that they fixed that bug in 2.1 .

lawicko
Nov 15, 2008, 02:04 AM
I'm using 2.0