Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ec51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Why does Apple continue to make such horrible packaging mistakes?

I received my new Logitech iPod/iPhone clock radio and this is the HUGE box it came in. I actually ordered three separate items and they were all shipped separately, two from the same facility. Why does Apple do this? I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of extra days if it meant everything was shipped together in one box and on one FedEx truck. Come on Apple - tighten up the carbon footprint.

EDIT: Pics taken with my iPhone - haven't seen any posted on the web before, not too shabby.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    486.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    759.2 KB · Views: 145

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Was there any packing in the box or was it just rattling around?

I like on Amazon that you have the option to have it all shipped together, I also like their packaging, nice and tight, also reusable :)

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm assuming that you ordered from the Apple Store. Otherwise your rant would have nothing to do with Apple. I do think they have done an admirable job on reducing the packaging of their computers. There is still work to be done on other fronts though so to that respect I agree with you.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I'm assuming that you ordered from the Apple Store. Otherwise your rant would have nothing to do with Apple. I do think they have done an admirable job on reducing the packaging of their computers. There is still work to be done on other fronts though so to that respect I agree with you.

The receipt in the box has a big Apple watermark on it, so I would assume it was from the Apple store.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Apples own stuff is packaged very well, but they just throw things in a box for the online store.

acee88

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
no kiddin.. i order a 13" nCase sleeve couple of months ago and it came in this huge box... what a waste.. they could have place it in an envelope.

ec51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Yes yes yes, it was from the Apple store. The iPod Nano I ordered did come in a somewhat normal sized box, still waiting for the airport express...so I'll have to wait and see about that one.

And yes it did have a bunch of packaging in the box which can be seen in the first picture. A whole lot of it...

And yes I do agree, the new Macbook packaging is amazingly less than my old crackbook.

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I would say they are doing a pretty good job. I saw a video earlier in the year where Steve Jobs got a new laptop and it came in a manila envelope. :p

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Yes yes yes

I bet you wish you had never started this thread now ;)

I bought a HDD from dabs a few months back and that came in a box the size of a small family car (european not american), anyway that had no packaging, so the HDD just bounced around inside. That was one of the many reasons I returned it, but that's another story...

ec51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
but that's another story...

Haa...

"But that's another story altogether...I had to beat them to death with their own shoes..."

Sorry your post reminded me of one of my favorite movies.
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.