PDA

View Full Version : emac: upgrade from 10.3.9 to...

wordwench
Nov 14, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hello- Not a tekkie person here. Please be gentle.

I have a 4 year old eMac - It runs pretty well, albeit a little slow. In the meantime the world has moved on and newer models of iPods etc no longer synch. I was thinking of upgrading the OS. (cheaper than a new computer, I think $129.00?).

Can I buy/install software and go from OS10.3.9 to 10.5? Will the machine accept this, or do I need to also buy more Ram?

Also, I have older versions of programs like iWeb, Photoshop, and MS office suite. Will I lose them? Will they transfer and will they be compatible on a new OS? Will older devices (digital camera, older iPod) work on a newer system?

Too many questions??
Thanks

hughvane
Nov 14, 2008, 01:48 PM
I was thinking of upgrading the OS.
Can I buy/install software and go from OS10.3.9 to 10.5? Will the machine accept this, or do I need to also buy more Ram?
Also, I have older versions of programs like iWeb, Photoshop, and MS office suite. Will I lose them? Will they transfer and will they be compatible on a new OS? Will older devices (digital camera, older iPod) work on a newer system?

Okay, bit-by-bit. The info given tells me that you have the 1.25 GHz, USB2 eMac; but what size hard drive and what dvd drive? Your eMac will operate Leopard, but you'd be well advised to put in maximum RAM of 2 Gb (a matched pair of 1 Gb sticks).

If you're finding Panther a tad slow, then be prepared for even slower with Leopard. Personally, I wouldn't go beyond Tiger, but others will tell you otherwise.

Yes, you can install Leopard from a full retail version of that OS. If you do a clean install, then it will erase everything on your present hard drive. An Archive & Install will overwrite the present OS but preserve all other applications and non-OS files. If you choose the second option, make sure you have sufficient disk space (ascertain the minimum Leopard requirements) because a Previous System folder will be created and that'll take up a lot of space by itself.

Much of the software under Panther will also operate with Leopard (or Tiger) but if in doubt you should seek further advice about that, or Google for information about Leopard-software compatibility.

As for external devices like your camera etc, if they're USB they'll work with Leopard (or Tiger).