Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
I really like those soft rubber cases they have for the blackberry. I am not sure of what they are made of. Anyhow, what I would like to get is a case made from this material that ONLY goes around the outer edge of the iphone. Nothing more. Picture like if you wrapped a rubber band around the edges of the phone, just to protect from scratching the edges. Does something like that exist?

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I've looked at a lot of iPhone cases (and purchased more than my fair share) and have never seen a case like you describe...

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
I think it would come off too easily. Imagine, as you say, wrapping a rubber band around the iPhone. It'll come off or move simply by rubbing up against anything. Cases are usually designed to protect the entire phone or large portions of the phone, not just the edges.

I could be wrong, but I don't see a company investing in a product like this.

jawzzy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
New York
Actually, I've been looking for something like this for a long time. The only thing I really want from a case is to provide minimal shock protection around the edges.

Face it, if you drop your iPhone, it won't smack either side, it will hit an edge.

I suppose you could buy a tight fitting silicone case and cut out the back very neatly...

Actually, OP, if you find something like this ever, could you PM me? :)

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
@jawzzy, will do. i, like you, do not need a big bulky case to protect my phone. i dont understand people who do. i have used candybar style phones for years now, and i get zero scratches on them. my ipods, scratchless. and i put both in my pocket all the time.

you just dont put them in there with anything else in the pocket, and have a safe place to keep them when not in use, and you dont get scratches.

i just want some mild scratch protection for the uber delicate outer edge of the phone. i probably will try cutting one of the silicone ones, but i dont know of any way to get a nicely finished edge as if it were originally molded that way.

jawzzy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
New York
I suppose a neat cut on a hard surface with a very sharp hobby (X-Acto) knife would turn out well. Make a thread for it if you try it!

Benjic

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2007
Madison, WI
I would probably recommend just purchasing the back portion of a Zagg Invisible Shield. That covers the bezel if I recall correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.