PDA

View Full Version : iBook G3 Booting Issues

keith partridge
Nov 14, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi everyone,
Im fairly new to macs but own my own Mini mac and have just been given an iBook G3 500mHz, 128Mb, 10GB HDD laptop.

I dont know any history of the laptop or what OS it had installed and I have no worries about deleting the files on the hard drive.

I booted the iBook up and all that appears is a flashing folder with the mac face and a question mark on it and then a separate floppy disc with a flashing questions mark. I dont hear a chime unless I boot up after I've cleared the VRAM etc.

I would quite like to ressurect this laptop for basic internet use and wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what the problem might be.

I have tried all the fixes such as clearing the various RAM settings and attempted to boot both a Tiger installation DVD and a burnt bootable OS 9 CD with no avail. It doesn't seem to want to boot from my drive.

I also hooked up the mac viaa firewire to my mini mac in an attempt to install the OS from there..this didn't work so i decided to wipe the drive...and this stalled halfway through in disk utility.

I am more than happy to buy replacement parts but before i spend 40 quid on a new HDD I would like to make sure thats its not something drastic like the logic board.

Does anyone have any tips that I can sit down and try?

Any help would be greatfully appreciated, I'd love to get this machine working again!

Thanks

Keith