PDA

View Full Version : Any easy way to extract artwork from .mp4/.mov/.m4v files?

marklight
Nov 14, 2008, 02:41 PM
So I took a ton of time to permanently tag a lot of my ripped movies using metax. I added really nice custom artwork to each of them. looks great! Now however, I'm making the switch to Plex, and while I'll still continue to tag a lot of my ripped dvds using metax, I want to make my existing files compatible with Plex's system of displaying artwork.

unfortunately, at this time Plex does not read internal metadata, and the artwork that it scraps is subpar for my picky tastes, I'm wondering if there's a program that can quickly extract all the artwork in my tagged mp4/m4v files. Currently I'm doing the time consuming process of copying the artwork in iTunes, and then opening it up in Preview and saving it... but man does that take forever! Any suggestions?

anti-microsoft
Oct 16, 2009, 03:44 PM
So I took a ton of time to permanently tag a lot of my ripped movies using metax. I added really nice custom artwork to each of them. looks great! Now however, I'm making the switch to Plex, and while I'll still continue to tag a lot of my ripped dvds using metax, I want to make my existing files compatible with Plex's system of displaying artwork.

unfortunately, at this time Plex does not read internal metadata, and the artwork that it scraps is subpar for my picky tastes, I'm wondering if there's a program that can quickly extract all the artwork in my tagged mp4/m4v files. Currently I'm doing the time consuming process of copying the artwork in iTunes, and then opening it up in Preview and saving it... but man does that take forever! Any suggestions?

I'd really like to know how to do this aswell!

Thanks,

Ams.

bbyers70
Oct 16, 2009, 04:09 PM

Easy....Let's see...I'm doing this from memory.

First from iTunes choose Get Info on the video you want artwork from. Click on the tab with the artwork. Click on the artwork so that there is a blue highlight around the art window. Press Command-C to copy artwork to the clip board.

Now open Preview application and click on New From Clipboard. Artwork should now be displayed with untitled name. Now you need to give it a name and save it.

Really...It's that easy.

roidy
Oct 16, 2009, 06:42 PM
Easy....Let's see...I'm doing this from memory.

First from iTunes choose Get Info on the video you want artwork from. Click on the tab with the artwork. Click on the artwork so that there is a blue highlight around the art window. Press Command-C to copy artwork to the clip board.

Now open Preview application and click on New From Clipboard. Artwork should now be displayed with untitled name. Now you need to give it a name and save it.

Really...It's that easy.

That ok if you've only got a few to do, it fast becomes a problem if you've got hundreds to do.

roidy
Oct 16, 2009, 06:49 PM

I ran into the same problem whan I set up my XBMC PC. I ended up writing my own software to scan an entire directory and extract all the artwork. However it's a Windows program. If you have access to a Windows machine I'll give you the program.

thomassilcox
Nov 5, 2009, 01:59 PM
I ran into the same problem whan I set up my XBMC PC. I ended up writing my own software to scan an entire directory and extract all the artwork. However it's a Windows program. If you have access to a Windows machine I'll give you the program.

I am in the same boat and desperate for a copy of your script. I've lost way too much sleep trolling the web for a solution.
Thank you in advance.
Thomas

The Mad Hatter
Nov 5, 2009, 09:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Did you try using the "export ATVFiles XML" function in MetaX? I don't know if the resulting XML file works with Plex, but it may get you going in the right direction. Oh, and it extracts your artwork too. ;)

HTH

roidy
Nov 6, 2009, 07:08 AM
I am in the same boat and desperate for a copy of your script. I've lost way too much sleep trolling the web for a solution.
Thank you in advance.
Thomas

I assume your on a Windows machine as it's a Windows only program. I'm away from my main PC until Sunday, as soon as I get back I'll send you a copy.

roidy
Nov 8, 2009, 02:08 PM
Thank you in advance.
Thomas

I'm back now, if you still want the program PM me.

Puulima
May 24, 2010, 10:40 PM
Hi Roidy,

I stumbled upon this post in a google search for something to extract the cover art from my m4v files - same situation as one of the prior replies - I have a significant number of tagged m4v files (MetaX) for my AppleTV but also want to access the video files on XBMC so would like to extract the cover art vs. doing it manually or tryin to locate the art I originally used.

I'm on Windows so would like to try out your program. I believe you can email me via the forums - I apparently can't email or PM since I'm new to the forums.

Thanks in advance

roidy
May 25, 2010, 04:00 AM
Puulima, I've sent you an email.

shanedownfall
Mar 9, 2011, 03:18 PM
Hi Roidy,

I also stumbled across this using Google! I was actually considering writing something myself, but as you have already I figured I'd check if you could share it.

Thanks,

Shane

shanedownfall
Mar 25, 2011, 12:52 PM
Bump.

Roidy I'd seriously appreciate this. Would save me many hours!

roidy
Mar 25, 2011, 01:31 PM
Sorry, I totally missed your first post, I don't visit these forums as much as I use to. I'm away from home until after the weekend, I'll send you a private message when I get back.

roidy
Mar 26, 2011, 06:21 AM
shanedownfall I can't send you a private message you need to have posted a minimum of 5 posts and have enabled PM's in your user profile.

Do you have an email address I can send the file to, if not rack up a few more posts on this forum and I'll PM you again:D

shanedownfall
May 21, 2011, 08:46 AM
Only seeing this now several months later! This is my 5th post so I'll PM you an email to send all on to. Cheers dude.

Edit: I actually can't find the option to. Hopefully you can PM me :)

shanedownfall I can't send you a private message you need to have posted a minimum of 5 posts and have enabled PM's in your user profile.

Do you have an email address I can send the file to, if not rack up a few more posts on this forum and I'll PM you again:D

roidy
May 21, 2011, 10:34 AM
I've sent you a PM with the link:)

Munky78
May 23, 2011, 03:52 PM
Can you send me a link to the program to extract the cover art on a windows machine as well please?

roidy
May 23, 2011, 05:36 PM
Can you send me a link to the program to extract the cover art on a windows machine as well please?

Sure, give me an email address I can send the link to.

Munky78
May 23, 2011, 05:39 PM
munky46012 at gmail

roidy
May 24, 2011, 04:41 AM
Email with link sent:)

Munky78
May 24, 2011, 04:45 AM
Thanks! Works perfectly....saves alot of time instead of copy and pasting one at a time from iTunes. I'm using them for the movies hd app for my iPad, lost my whole database from it....over 1200 movies I have to do all over again.

gunthermic
May 24, 2011, 06:16 AM
Email with link sent:)

Would love to see this program as well. gunthermic at aol.com

roidy
May 24, 2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks! Works perfectly....

You're welcome, glad it was useful:)

roidy
May 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
Would love to see this program as well. gunthermic at aol.com

I've emailed you the link.

gunthermic
May 24, 2011, 01:18 PM

Didn't get it.

roidy
May 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
Umm.... Strange.

Oh well.... I've sent you the link in a PM.

jerome1
May 24, 2011, 10:51 PM
after extensive googling, i never thought I'd find this on a mac forum

Roidy, or one of the other members, if you wouldn't mind sending me a link to the program as well. I have 500 mp4's to set up in WMC and I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

roidy
May 25, 2011, 04:37 AM
Seems like quite a few people are interested in this program so I'm gonna put it up on a file share site for anyone that wants it.

http://www.filedropper.com/artextractor

jerome1
May 25, 2011, 01:41 PM
really appreciate it Roidy. HUGE time saver. I would donate if you had a site

roidy
May 25, 2011, 02:40 PM
No problem, I'm just glad people are finding it useful, it's one of those thing you'll probably only ever need to use once:D

simonlondon
May 27, 2011, 10:53 AM

Hey Roidy, is there way you could email that to me too, i've got 2500 mp4s that need artwork extracting :S

my email is sidizzle at gmail.com

Thanks a lot!

roidy
May 27, 2011, 01:31 PM
Hey Roidy, is there way you could email that to me too, i've got 2500 mp4s that need artwork extracting :S

my email is sidizzle at gmail.com

Thanks a lot!

Look at post number 29 and you'll see I've uploaded it to a file share:D.....

Oh hell, heres the link again:- http://www.filedropper.com/artextractor

simonlondon
May 31, 2011, 03:00 AM

Oh hell, heres the link again:- http://www.filedropper.com/artextractor

YOU ARE THE MAN! thanks so much!

overclok6
Nov 5, 2013, 10:34 PM

Oh hell, heres the link again:- http://www.filedropper.com/artextractorHello! Looks like I'm late to the party. The link is dead now. Is there a way for me to obtain this script? I am also desperate for this capability as I have a large number of .m4v files that I would like to export cover art from.

Thank you.

MoodyM
Nov 8, 2013, 02:34 PM
Any chance of a new, working link?

Thanks

overclok6
Nov 10, 2013, 12:23 AM
Any chance of a new, working link?

Thanks

Or does anyone know of an automated way to extract the art from thousands of M4V/MP4 files in a batch? The script mentioned in this thread has fallen by the wayside...

roidy
Nov 10, 2013, 04:05 AM
Hello! Looks like I'm late to the party. The link is dead now. Is there a way for me to obtain this script? I am also desperate for this capability as I have a large number of .m4v files that I would like to export cover art from.

Thank you.

Sorry I don't visit this forum much any more but here you go:-

http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/38603084/file.html

overclok6
Nov 12, 2013, 08:45 PM
Sorry I don't visit this forum much any more but here you go:-

http://www5.zippyshare.com/v/38603084/file.htmlDUDE!!! YOU ARE MY HERO!!! Thank you a bazillion times. You have no idea how much this helps me!!! Or, maybe you do...which is why you created it!

Again, thanks!!! Works perfectly!!

roidy
Nov 13, 2013, 11:32 AM
lol.... No problem, glad it was useful.

Bevz
Feb 7, 2014, 12:01 PM
lol.... No problem, glad it was useful.

Fantastic program! Thank you :)

Fjord
Jul 12, 2014, 08:43 AM
roidy, all your links have expired. any chance I could get you to email me a new link? Love you long time. Thanks!

roidy
Jul 12, 2014, 01:56 PM
ArtExtractor.zip (http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/99576266/file.html)