PDA

View Full Version : Comcast proposes to buy Disney

MacBytes
Feb 11, 2004, 07:37 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Comcast proposes to buy Disney (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040211083751)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

mkjellman
Feb 11, 2004, 08:22 AM
Wow, ComcastWorld....I have been very happy with Comcast. They have good service and they are always improving...I think it it the best thing for Disney as their company is going down the tube..

macopia
Feb 11, 2004, 08:32 AM
Either Disney needs to dump ABC or take the deal...

mkjellman
Feb 11, 2004, 08:37 AM
also disney is getting more and more TV orientated. They have the disney channel as well which is very popular with younger children. Movies are getting phased out as most, with two exceptions Pirate of Caribbean and Miracle. Comcast controls NECN, CN8 and others and if they own the Disney Channel and other subsidized stuff plus ABC, MTV, Nick, et. all....Comcast will rule the TV world...

irmongoose
Feb 11, 2004, 08:46 AM
If this buyout actually happens, it would probably become the second biggest corporation in the world. Remember, Disney, besides owning all those TV channels, also owns Miramax, Touchstone, and Buena Vista. This along with the huge presence Comcast has in cable TV and the internet...

irmongoose

Rocket Rion
Feb 11, 2004, 09:24 AM
It would get rid of Eisner, which is good. But I doubt Comcast would return Disney to its days of 2D animation glory. Come on, it's a dumb cable company.

jettredmont
Feb 11, 2004, 10:55 AM
This would be a bad thing.

1) Disney movie quality took a sharp downward turn when Disney set its eyes on being a media conglomerate instead of movie house (each time :) ... in the 1970's and late-1990's) OTOH, can Disney movies get worse (PotC excluded ... I can't remember the last Disney movie I really enjoyed).

2) Comcast is Evil. I expect Bush to announce this soon.

3) Would Comcast running ABC et al make them more or less likely to give their locked-in customers a decent cable service rate?

4) Would Comcast running Disney with their vast Internet experience ("Go Network"!) be able to not cut off ISP service to their customers who actually *use* the Comcast high-speed internet?

5) Comcast enjoys naming everything after itself. Which wouldn't be so bad if it had something besides a bland corporate-speak name. I do not look forward to ComcastLand and ComcastWorld (Euro-Comcast might be okay though :) ), nor to the "Comcast Broadcast Company" (CBC). Could be worse, of course. Comcast could rename itself and all its various properties "Generacorp" or something I suppose ...

On the other hand, I don't think this will make either Disney films nor ABC shows any worse. But that's only because they're already as bad as I can imagine...

mrsebastian
Feb 11, 2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Rion
It would get rid of Eisner, which is good. But I doubt Comcast would return Disney to its days of 2D animation glory. Come on, it's a dumb cable company.

yeah, the days walt's vision are long gone :(

MrMacMan
Feb 12, 2004, 09:49 PM
Eisner never had vision... Just bad ideas.