PDA

View Full Version : Press release: Wing has a new album

mrjamin
Feb 11, 2004, 07:45 AM
Sorry guys, i'm not doing my job properly. I missed this one last year.

Good old wing has released an album of christmas carols.

http://www.wingmusic.co.nz/

Enjoy!

MrJ

kiwi_the_iwik
Feb 11, 2004, 08:52 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

...OW! Stop, please!

(I think I hurt something, there...)

:D :D :D :D :D

I'd just like to thank Manukau City Council for "encouraging" Wing on her way.

They should be expecting something in the post soon...

jefhatfield
Feb 11, 2004, 09:27 AM
it's so funny how macrumors posters were the first people to really give her website any real traffic and the hits went from a thousand to twenty thousand quickly with us

now, many times that have visited her site (nearly 150,000 hits) and with those types of numbers, she has to have sold quite a few albums by now...perhaps she has made some real money and her stuff is great for a gag and there are few things as funny to listen to

i am waiting for jay leno to discover her and bring her even a larger audience

kiwi_the_iwik
Feb 11, 2004, 12:49 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Clive James - after all, he did wonders for "Margarita Pracatan"...

http://www.margaritapracatan.com/

:p

virividox
Feb 11, 2004, 01:41 PM
that site is hilarious, heheh i wanna buy a cd

mrjamin
Feb 11, 2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by virividox
that site is hilarious, heheh i wanna buy a cd

i'm gonna get the entire back catalogue

virividox
Feb 11, 2004, 04:24 PM
hmmm we shoud tell apple to put her up on itms

mrjamin
Feb 11, 2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by virividox
hmmm we shoud tell apple to put her up on itms

that, my friend, is a plan and a half - if enough of us rally around we MUST be able to get her on it

phase 2 of the plan is to get her into the top 10...

vollspacken
Feb 11, 2004, 04:50 PM
...move over Jack Black, Wing ROCKS! this city from now on!!!

;)

vSpacken

virividox
Feb 11, 2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by mrjamin
that, my friend, is a plan and a half - if enough of us rally around we MUST be able to get her on it

phase 2 of the plan is to get her into the top 10...

i can see it...wing at the grammys!!! WOO HOO

i wonder if itms will get a grammy someday.

ColoJohnBoy
Feb 11, 2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
it's so funny how macrumors posters were the first people to really give her website any real traffic and the hits went from a thousand to twenty thousand quickly with us

I know she has quite a following in the David Bowie community - I posted all her info in BowieNet, and she's become something of an icon there. I've been posting trying to convince David to do a duet of 'Fame' with good ol' Wingy....

voicegy
Apr 8, 2004, 06:32 PM
it's so funny how macrumors posters were the first people to really give her website any real traffic and the hits went from a thousand to twenty thousand quickly with us...

Exactly. I even said as much in the comments section in a web blog that's now making the rounds about our dear Wing - great article title as well:

"When she's not sure how to sing it, she'll Wing it" :eek:

http://primalpurge.com/

jefhatfield
Apr 9, 2004, 12:12 PM
I know she has quite a following in the David Bowie community - I posted all her info in BowieNet, and she's become something of an icon there. I've been posting trying to convince David to do a duet of 'Fame' with good ol' Wingy....

the macrumors comminity that is actually active is very small as far as online communities go, but i am sure if david bowie fans know about her, then there is a chance that she can get nationwide attention

if she does get nationwide attention, the hits on her site will be into the tens of millions

william hung literally got famous overnight and right now with a liking for bad/cheesy music like william hung and the darkness (he he), it's possible that wing can ride the coattails of bad taste

actually the british band the darkness are very good musicians but they want to push the limits of bad taste and see how far they can go...in the 80s, frankie goes to hollywood were purposely working the novelty angle even though they were actually very proficient musicians...but they will not be remembered for their musicianship, but for their gayness/leather bar look even though most of the members of the band are straight

when all else fails, bad taste goes a long long way ;)

voicegy
Apr 9, 2004, 12:31 PM
The problem I see if Wing actually hits some kind of cult or other higher status (appeariing on Jay Leno, making an album with David Bowie, what-have-you) is that Wing actually takes herself seriously and the current noteriety is unintended. One look at her pictures tells me that she really believes in her "talent" and her current live curcuit venues of nursing homes, hospitals and quilting-bees is recieved as true entertainment and a break from the misery of being stuck for whatever amount of time in such venues. (yeah, I know...quilting-bees is a little out there, but you get the drift!)

Of course, I don't know it or not, but if Wing were to discover that she was getting major hits on her site and selling CD's because she was so damn awful (much like the movie "Plan Nine from Outer Space" becoming a huge hit not because of the director's actual intention in making a "serious" statement movie about an invasion from space, but rather gaining intense popularity because it is such an awful flick) it might actually break her heart.

If our Dear Wing really thinks that she's a good singer and she's performing a nice service reinterpreting songs in the key of Wing for an appreciative audience and finds out that she's become "popular" because of being derided and made fun of, she may never sing another song again. Of course, anyone without hearing loss would see that as a blessing, but just what would her reaction be? At present, I think she remains blissfully ignorant of the her gaining noteriety - but the more info that's being tossed around on the web about this, the more likely she'll know sooner than later.

Unless this whole thing is one of the greatest pranks of all time - and if that turned out to be the case, I would bow at her and her marketing team's feet.

Altogether, rather fascinating.