Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KLM671

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Québec, Canada
The title says it all, I want to buy the 2.4 ghz version, however seeing the various problems here in the forum (Slanted keys etc...) and knowing I need a laptop before the 25 of december what should I do?

I can wait a month, but can I expect Apple to correct some problems to their macbooks in the next 30 days and having this corrected macbooks in the stores?

I've had Apple computers only for the past year so I dont really know how fast Apple fixes their teething problems on their laptops and would like to have some advice...

Thanks!

KLM671

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Québec, Canada
Wow, fast reply, love this :)

Seriously, the thing is that I'm buying this macbook in a future shop because of their 12 month no interest payment, I'm a student and I would prefer not to buy it "one shot", however the problem is that they are not very easy to deal with when You need a replacement at future shop...

As I said, I can wait a month but not more as I will need it for some trips after the 25 december, so if Apple can correct their problems fast enough, I dont really care about waiting another month :)

Thanks for the reply!

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Apple doesn't really "correct" errors. They just change things with each revision. As a result, some problems go away, and new ones take their place. You're never going to find a problem-free purchase cycle.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I would say go and buy it. If you keep waiting, you might as well just wait your whole life. Remember, the forums are only a reflection of a minority i.e. those who have faults. I have a few slanted keys although I never really took notice until I read the forums on here. Also, as someone said above, there may be other problems with the new revisions.

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Just get it. I got Rev A for most of my Apple products and they have been fine. If you wait till dec, then you will post another thread and ask since u already waited till dec, should you wait till Macworld Jan...blah blah blah. It goes on forever.

KLM671

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Québec, Canada
Just get it. I got Rev A for most of my Apple products and they have been fine. If you wait till dec, then you will post another thread and ask since u already waited till dec, should you wait till Macworld Jan...blah blah blah. It goes on forever.

No, I need to have this computer before december 25 so I wont be posting other thread about this. However, not having much experience with Apple Laptops, I would have liked to know if Apple would have fixed this problems in the next month or so.

Thats all

Thanks

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
I would say buy it now, my brother just got one and it seems to be perfect. The keys are relatively straight (not as slanted as others have posted pics of), the battery cover is not loose, and the screen looked great. Put it this way, if I had the money, I would have bought mine already ;)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
If you like it for the features and hardware it has now, then go for it. The percentage of manufacturing defects are relatively low. You just find that the people with problems bother to post on these forums; the ones without any defects/problems do not post here saying how their MacBook aluminum is perfect and what not.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Personally, I would wait to see if there isnt a price break coming before Christmas. Remember how upset the very first iPhone users got when they dropped the prices?

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007

Seriously, the thing is that I'm buying this macbook in a future shop because of their 12 month no interest payment, I'm a student and I would prefer not to buy it "one shot", however the problem is that they are not very easy to deal with when You need a replacement at future shop...

As far as I can tell, Futureshop's return policy is better than Apple store itself (no restocking fee for 14 days). If you don't like it, don't bother with a replacement, just get a refund.

If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchases, Future Shop will gladly give you a full refund or exchange. Simply return the product within 30 days (14 days for Computers, Monitors, Printers, Notebook Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras, Radar Detectors, Portable DVD Players and Air Conditioners) in its original condition and packaging (including all manuals & accessories) along with the original sales receipts.

Eosblue

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008

I see that you're a Canadian. We used to have a Future Shop here in the Seattle area until they pulled the plug maybe 5 years ago and I enjoyed shopping there (especially because it was only 5 miles from my home.)

Don't know what model you're looking for. However I did go to Futureshop.com and saw the MB 2.4Ghz was $1749. Buying the same computer in the US with Canadian currency comes out to $1415. IF you live close to the US border AND you can avoid any US sales tax, it might be worth your while to drive down and pick one up here, assuming we're not talking about a lot of mileage.

KLM671

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Québec, Canada
I see that you're a Canadian. We used to have a Future Shop here in the Seattle area until they pulled the plug maybe 5 years ago and I enjoyed shopping there (especially because it was only 5 miles from my home.)

Don't know what model you're looking for. However I did go to Futureshop.com and saw the MB 2.4Ghz was $1749. Buying the same computer in the US with Canadian currency comes out to $1415. IF you live close to the US border AND you can avoid any US sales tax, it might be worth your while to drive down and pick one up here, assuming we're not talking about a lot of mileage.

That's very interesting, I wonder how I can avoid US sale taxes...

Ciao and thanks for the help
Philippe

Eosblue

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
That's very interesting, I wonder how I can avoid US sale taxes...

Ciao and thanks for the help
Philippe

I think if you show a Canadian Passport/driver's license, there are some states that don't charge the sales tax.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
There's no guarantee that in a month you won't get a machine that was made last month, especially in a store other than Apple's.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
go for it, there is no point to waiting. I was contemplating the same thing in regards to the macbook air. I was afraid of buying one and having issues with it and thought I'll wait till January.

However, advice from a forum member HLdan convinced me to go get one, and so I did. It's perfect ;)

you either let fear of defects rule you, or you confront your fears and get a perfect macbook

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I here the rev A Airs are super cheap now. However I hear there's a heat issue.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
OP, when you talk about "all these problems" you have to remember one thing, when something is wrong people tend to be loud about it.
You dont see tons of threads about people who are perfectly happy with there macbooks. this doesnt mean they dont exist! I for one have a flawless macbook and i know other people who have perfect macs as well.
The thing about waiting is, well youll always be waiting. Something bigger and better is always on its way out! If you want a Macbook then buy it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.