PDA

View Full Version : The low-down on why iPod "father" Tony Fadell really left ...

MacBytes
Nov 15, 2008, 10:57 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: The low-down on why iPod "father" Tony Fadell really left Apple (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081115115746)
Description:: Tony Fadell envisioned the iPod and approached Apple to make it happen. Now he's left the company he helped transform. Find out why.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

GoCubsGo
Nov 15, 2008, 11:04 AM
This is sort of interesting and I don't think many should be surprised about this, Apple's new golden child is the iPhone, and Fadell is not a second-fiddle sort of guy. And so explains his departure from the company that he injected with an astounding amount of success (and cash).

Quite frankly if Fadell's last great contribution was the Nano and his contributions excluded anything "touch" then I think I'd either push to get involved in the "Touch" iPods, or bow out gracefully with my giant wad-o-cash.

sushi
Nov 15, 2008, 11:13 AM
Interesting article. Makes sense.

oticon6
Nov 15, 2008, 11:42 AM
Fair decision... not much more will happen with the iPod line.

DMann
Nov 15, 2008, 12:15 PM
Fair decision... not much more will happen with the iPod line.

And on that high note, he left the stage........

SnowLeopard2008
Nov 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
^ Yea, I don't know what else could be introduced to the iPod line. All the iPods with screens can view Cover Flow and video content. Tony Fadell developed the base for multi touch media players. Now it can back to bite his ass.

Saladinos
Nov 15, 2008, 12:44 PM
Apple's iPod line is dying anyway. The classic will probably be dropped within a year. That'll leave the Nano and Shuffle as the only real iPods Apple make.

The iPhone isn't an iPod to me. It never has been. There's too much distracting the experience for it to feel like an iPod. The iPod touch has the same problem. It's browsing the web and checking your emails, and downloading applications from the AppStore. It's overcrowded, and it feels more like a phone or PDA than an iPod. That's my opinion. I don't use my iPhone for music nearly as often as I used my 5.5G iPod.

The shuffle isn't much of an iPod either. It's a fantastic little device, but it doesn't feel much like an iPod. There's very limited space, and the lack of a screen makes the classic wheel interface useless. That wheel interface is a large point of what makes an iPod.

That leaves the nano as the only real iPod left, if the classic goes. Apple's been radically changing it's design, because I don't feel they know where to take it.

aaquib
Nov 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
Apple's iPod line is dying anyway. The classic will probably be dropped within a year. That'll leave the Nano and Shuffle as the only real iPods Apple make.

The iPhone isn't an iPod to me. It never has been. There's too much distracting the experience for it to feel like an iPod. The iPod touch has the same problem. It's browsing the web and checking your emails, and downloading applications from the AppStore. It's overcrowded, and it feels more like a phone or PDA than an iPod. That's my opinion. I don't use my iPhone for music nearly as often as I used my 5.5G iPod.

The shuffle isn't much of an iPod either. It's a fantastic little device, but it doesn't feel much like an iPod. There's very limited space, and the lack of a screen makes the classic wheel interface useless. That wheel interface is a large point of what makes an iPod.

That leaves the nano as the only real iPod left, if the classic goes. Apple's been radically changing it's design, because I don't feel they know where to take it.

Apple's redefining the meaning of the word "iPod". No longer is it just a music player, but its a touchscreen hub with media, games, Safari, Mail and more.

sushi
Nov 15, 2008, 04:36 PM
Apple's redefining the meaning of the word "iPod". No longer is it just a music player, but its a touchscreen hub with media, games, Safari, Mail and more.
Seems to be going that way.

The iPhone/iPod touch has shown this.

My guess is that once the Flash memory of the touch reaches 64GB, or maybe 128GB, the Classic will be phased out leaving the touch, Nano and Shuffle models, and of course the iPhone.

mklos
Nov 15, 2008, 06:38 PM
Well I think you have to keep evolving the iPod. You need to keep giving people to either upgrade their existing iPod, or buy one for the first time. So if it means adding Safari, airport, touch full screen games, etc then so be it.

I agree the iPod is starting to die a slow death, but its being replaced by something of its own creation, the iPhone. No longer do you have to carry around and iPod AND cell phone. Apple has combined both into one device. Its a very safe bet that the iPhone is starting to be a competitor to the iPod itself and may eventually outsell it.

So while some people may not like the touch iPods, Apple has paved the way for touch devices. Its the new wave of the future. Everyone will be going touch for their devices. If they don't, they'll get left behind. Why do you think all of a sudden you see lots of new touch cellphones?

Digital Skunk
Nov 15, 2008, 07:59 PM
It will be a while before the Classic is gone. There are still some people that need to hold more than a few songs, videos and games. For me, 32GB only covers a third of my video library which I access often.

Sunshine is my current favorite and I am on my third watch, second for my iPod.

Stella
Nov 18, 2008, 06:29 PM
If the iPod didn't evolve, then it would die a slow and painful death like other media players in the past.

The Touch is a necessary evolution to carry on the iPod line.

All products have a life span, they either evolve or die.

DMann
Nov 18, 2008, 06:59 PM
If the iPod didn't evolve, then it would die a slow and painful death like other media players in the past.

The Touch is a necessary evolution to carry on the iPod line.

All products have a life span, they either evolve or die.

Evolution is the product of innovation, which has kept Apple evolving consistently since 1997. With OLED, PMC memory, and Nanowire battery technology, the evolutionary future of the iPod/iPhone/flexible tablet is indeed promising.