PDA

View Full Version : iBook v Netbook

oscillatewildly
Nov 15, 2008, 12:25 PM
Hello,

How do the last 12 inch iBook/Powerbook compare re speed to the current crop of netbooks (Atom cpu)?

Cheers,
OW

TuffLuffJimmy
Nov 15, 2008, 12:26 PM
Get a netbook.

skrutzen
Nov 15, 2008, 12:43 PM
I agree. Get a netbook. I had a MSI Wind for a few days and thought it was pretty awesome. Very usable. The 10.1" screen had great resolution, and the keyboard was not much smaller than my 12" PB. The reason I returned it was I was able to get a new MB for cheap but I will probably get another netbook sometime next year.

oscillatewildly
Nov 15, 2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the help. Looks like a netbook should do until SSDs and new/refurb MacBook Air prices fall.

Cheers,
OW

Roba
Nov 17, 2008, 02:59 PM
The 1.6 single atom processor is about the same performance wise as the 1.2 ULV core solo processors. So i would say that a 1.33 PPC processor may be around the same level as the atom processor.

If this was going to be your only computer then i would go for the iBook.

aneftp
Nov 19, 2008, 07:53 AM
I say go for the netbook. This is assuming you have another PC/Mac.

Netbooks are great as 2nd or 3rd computers. I just got the Acer Aspire One with the 6 cell battery and so far its great. Small, lightweight (about 2.2 pounds), good battery life (with the 6 cell battery).

Best of all, these can be brought for around $400. So even if it only last you 1 year, you would get a new/faster one the following year without any regrets.

Keep in mind, that you can do basic things like internet, word processing, power point. These are things 80% of people in the world do anyways.

Don't expect it to perform like a high (or even mid range) laptop. Don't expect to do heavy multi tasking. But that's not what netbook are designed for anyways.