Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
What is stopping someone from taking a winning cap and that yellow ring off of a Pepsi bottle, and putting it on the Mountain Dew bottle. All of a sudden you have a winning Mt. Dew Bottle. With no hint of anything iTunes on it, who would know?

billpalmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by Koodauw
What is stopping someone from taking a winning cap and that yellow ring off of a Pepsi bottle, and putting it on the Mountain Dew bottle. All of a sudden you have a winning Mt. Dew Bottle. With no hint of anything iTunes on it, who would know?

We can only hope that the Mac community in general would be more honest than that...:p

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Koodauw

Why would someone believe this to be collectible? So far as I can tell teh value goes from 99c to 0c as soon as the promotion is up.

billpalmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
Why would someone believe this to be collectible? So far as I can tell teh value goes from 99c to 0c as soon as the promotion is up.

Beats the hell out of me.

But someone's already bid $9.95 on it... :p

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Someone must really like their Avril to bid $9.95 on a yellow cap.

Plus, I think the cap value is more like a nickel or so, given that you pay for a bit of the plastic along with the hydrocarbons.

Or could be that the person hosting the auction doesn't like using an mp3 player to browse the internet.

Either way, someone outdid my bid. :p :p

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Originally posted by King Cobra
Someone must really like their Avril to bid $9.95 on a yellow cap.

I would think whoever bid on this wants it for the novelty and "rareness", assuming that it is authentic and that Mountain Dew wasn't supposed to have iTunes caps.

Think of it like an error baseball card or a misstamped coin like these

I wish they'd put them on the Code Red bottles :(

billpalmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by kingjr3
I would think whoever bid on this wants it for the novelty and "rareness", assuming that it is authentic and that Mountain Dew wasn't supposed to have iTunes caps.

Obviously. It's like a Buffalo Nickel with only three legs.

It's a collectible for its rareness, not for its redeemable value...

el coyote

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2004
this is nuts. Its just a bottle cap. Rare or not.

GULP

I cant believe that people GULP are going nuts about a bottlecap.

I am outraged at... hey, what's this!? My Mountain Dew is one of the winners!!

Who-hoo! Ebay here I come! C-Ya! I gotta log on to ebay before this gets too blown out....

Hmm, starting bid... $10. Buy it now for $50 and i'll throw in the bottle and free shipping!

billpalmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by el coyote
this is nuts. Its just a bottle cap. Rare or not.

GULP

I cant believe that people GULP are going nuts about a bottlecap.

Hey, the sucker's up to $11.45... :cool:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
An 1831 half-ounce Hawaiian gold coin was put on eBay for $10,000,000. And, according to my meterstick, the coin and the cap don't have much of a physical size difference.

So, obviously, we have people bidding because they care about opportunity rather than money. It's a "weigh the facts" type of situation (and I hate using clichés). That's why we have careless people bidding on some of the most unusual eBay auctions. :rolleyes:

By the way, I put up an auction for the capacitor buried underneath one of my black keyboard option-keys.

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by billpalmer
Hey, the sucker's up to $11.45... :cool:

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public. If I could only convince people that NYC dust will someday be a collectible, I'd be rich...
;)

billpalmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by hobbes3113
Never underestimate the stupidity of the American public.

Or the obsessive fanatiscism of collectors of Apple memorabilia...

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
Yeah I really want to pay $12 for a plastic bottle thats only really worth the ¢99 from the code under the cap.
wink.gif

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by billpalmer
So in other words, the Mountain Dew cap is worth $10,000,000?

Here we have the result of what happens when one does not pay attention in College Writing class.

"So" is a transition that implies a result from a process, or a logical conclusion from facts. Most often, the transition "so" is used in an essay or debate to conclude an idea that derived from a logical step by step process, showing to what the idea amounts.

In my post, I mentioned two separate items of about the same physical size, but of extremes in prices. I'll admit, though, that I did leave out the detail that no one bid on the gold coin. "Therefore" (a transition that has similar properties to that of "so"), bidders are more than likely willing to spend money on cheaper items than on highly prices items, given that either item can be considered a "collectible."

(That explains what happens to me when I don't pay attention in College Writing class.)

Now we come down to the issue of the "so." I initially mentioned these two separate entities and their contrasting prices. "So"...people care about opportunity rather than money in a "weigh the facts" type of situation. "As a result" (another conclusion transition), the logical conclusion one can make from these particular entities is the one I stated.

billpalmer decided to look at only the ideas (in this case, the contrasting prices between the coin and cap), rather than how I intended to explain their meaning. He drew his own "conclusion," thinking that the cap had the same value as something of near equal physical size.

The lesson to be learned here is to look for key transitions and ideas, not just the ideas, that explain where the writer wants to take that idea.

(That explains what happend billpalmer when he didn't pay attention in College Writing class.)

In effect of this post, I wanted to correct the confusion between my coin to cap comparison post, and billpalmer's post about the value of the cap, and to show from simple mistakes how confusion with literacy can be averted slightly, as well as corrected.

Now, would you people focus on something other than a yellow Dew cap already? :p :eek: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.