PDA

View Full Version : UK Downloads outsell 12-inch, seven-inch and DVD singles

MacBytes
Feb 11, 2004, 10:15 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: UK Downloads outsell 12-inch, seven-inch and DVD singles (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040211111516)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

billyboy
Feb 11, 2004, 10:43 AM
Well there you have it, one of iTMS major UK competitors, Coke, sold a grand total of 50,000 in its first week. Scary. Either they are doing something wrong, or there is no market for downloads in the UK, or Coke isnt a competitor.

Ding, I just realised, Coke dont know what they are doing, because the whole point of the article is that dls in the UK are popular and are outstripping sales of 12 inch, 7 inch and dvd singles.

So who is selling most dls in the UK?

Photorun
Feb 11, 2004, 11:01 AM
Apple needs to just say screw doing an entire Europe iTunes release and focus on just getting individual countries that don't have some arcane stupid laws preventing them from getting up and running going. This is BS, iTunes in select Europe countries now.

BTW: Coke sucks, product and music store.

MacsRgr8
Feb 11, 2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Photorun
Apple needs to just say screw doing an entire Europe iTunes release and focus on just getting individual countries that don't have some arcane stupid laws preventing them from getting up and running going. This is BS, iTunes in select Europe countries now.

BTW: Coke sucks, product and music store.

I agree. I wonder in which European countries it would have been possible by now... :rolleyes:

jettredmont
Feb 11, 2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by billyboy
Well there you have it, one of iTMS major UK competitors, Coke, sold a grand total of 50,000 in its first week. Scary. Either they are doing something wrong, or there is no market for downloads in the UK, or Coke isnt a competitor.

Ding, I just realised, Coke dont know what they are doing, because the whole point of the article is that dls in the UK are popular and are outstripping sales of 12 inch, 7 inch and dvd singles.

So who is selling most dls in the UK?

Ummm ...

1) UK is a small market. 50,000 in that market is pretty big. This means the "Coke Music Formula" is viable (which, of course, we already knew since it's pretty much a rough copy of the "iTunes Music Store formula" except with a little extra artificial caramel coloring).

2) Coke is the biggest-name distributor there that I know of. Of course, they're nothing more than an "OD2" front. I suspect that something like 140k of that 150k total downloads went to OD2.

Still, didn't Apple outsell CD singles their first week on Mac-only? I mean, outselling DVD singles? Isn't that kind of like outselling 8-tracks?

mrsebastian
Feb 11, 2004, 03:17 PM
doesn't sound all that exciting as far competition to itms (if it ever gets there). what's interesting, is that it proves the business model for music downloads works. especially for those times when it's not worth buying a whole album.

Sabenth
Feb 12, 2004, 04:37 AM
Whats holding this up again dont see why everyone else has got the go ahead yet iTunes is stuck in limbo...

Good to see that people are doing this legit though :D