Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robeddie

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I know a few potential solutions have been announced. But at the moment, as far as I can tell, there is still no place where I can actually purchase a bigger 1.8 inch, zif hard drive that will work in my MacBook Air.

Frankly, now that it's been on the market for more than 10 months, I'm a little surprised.

If anyone knows where I can buy a new 120, 160, 200, 240gig, ANY size drive that's bigger than my current 80, that would be a revelation. I can't find it.

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
did you google the model number? a bunch of places pop up. some specify ZIF. if they're legit places is up to you to discover.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Does a reputable site like new egg have something MBA upgradable HD? I'm looking to swap mine for a larger drive.

fsosx

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
Forget the MK1231GAL.

I tried for hours to make it work.

I always get an I/O error when trying to format it. Drive is seen as a Toshiba MK1231GAL, you can even zero it but when it comes to format it, I got no luck.

I tried using Disk Utility and fdisk (terminal). It looks like the commands are working and saved but whenever you quit fdisk nothing is really saved to disk.

By the way, I get the same results using a PC...

eddieaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Forget the MK1231GAL.

I tried for hours to make it work.

I always get an I/O error when trying to format it. Drive is seen as a Toshiba MK1231GAL, you can even zero it but when it comes to format it, I got no luck.

I tried using Disk Utility and fdisk (terminal). It looks like the commands are working and saved but whenever you quit fdisk nothing is really saved to disk.

By the way, I get the same results using a PC...

is your Toshiba drive from a ipod classic? you cannot format a ipod hard drive, because it is locked by apple. there are many manufactures lock their music player hard drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.