PDA

View Full Version : How long will my upgraded 2003 Emac last?

Pattilou52
Nov 16, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hi - I have an eMac, 700mhz, upgraded to version OSX 10.4.11. I installed extra memory about 3 years ago. I use it for basics such as email, research, itunes, updating an ipod. It runs just fine. I can't afford a new Mac and don't want any other brand. How much longer, realistically, will it last?

Phil Lee
Nov 17, 2008, 11:04 AM
If it does what you want it to do then it will last as long as the hardware does.

nep61
Nov 17, 2008, 11:23 AM
I am still using an old PowerMac 9600/350 with 384mb of RAM and a GIGANTIC 4GB HD running OS 9.1 from time to time for basic internet stuff when I'm rendering a Time Line in Final Cut on my G4 Powerbook.

That 9600 is a workhorse, been using it since 1997-ish.... your eMac should hang in there for a good long time

seb-opp
Nov 17, 2008, 11:25 AM
Hi - I have an eMac, 700mhz, upgraded to version OSX 10.4.11. I installed extra memory about 3 years ago. I use it for basics such as email, research, itunes, updating an ipod. It runs just fine. I can't afford a new Mac and don't want any other brand. How much longer, realistically, will it last?

how much memory have you got?
have you got enough hard disk space for what you need?

if your iPod breaks and you get a new one, this might mean you will have to get a new mac. I dont know what the requirements are at the moment, But eventually your mac might not support it. That probably wont happen for a few years though.

for everything else, it will last until you feel its slow when browsing the web. Websites need faster hardware over the years because of things like flash, so you might find some sites slower. But all offline things will still feel as fast as they were when it was new, it shouldnt get slower.

My granddad still occasionally uses his SE/30 from 1988, it works like it did then, because it isnt connected to the internet its like its stuck in a time warp.

andrewag
Nov 17, 2008, 02:34 PM
First off, I'm very impressed you've managed to use it so long!

Repeating what others have said, if you keep the current software you would probably find it useful for a long time to come. If you need more current software then it is past it's prime.

Pattilou52
Nov 27, 2008, 10:52 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all, and thanks for the help.