PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro fan noise vs. G5

radknee
Nov 16, 2008, 11:56 AM
I've heard the Mac Pros are much quieter than the G5s, but have no way to confirm without buying as every time I go to the Apple store there's too much ambient noise (people;) to tell.

I've come to hate my G5s fan noise (and it's just a single-proc 1.8Ghz :(
I'd really like the power of the Mac Pro, but if it's as noisy as a G5 I may go with the iMac (which is dead quiet -- several friends have 'em).

Looking on eBay for a used 2.66 dual/dual-core.

Also, can anyone comment on speed difference between the 2.6 dual and 2.8 quad in real-life software tasks?

UMHurricanes34
Nov 16, 2008, 12:27 PM
I have the latest 3.2GHz model and I can say that this thing is dead quiet. The only noise you'll ever hear is when the disc drive is in use.

I do heavy graphics work (so I use much of Adobe's Creative Suite) and I believe I have only heard the fans kick on loud enough to notice once since I've had the machine. And I work with files that can range to 1.5GB+

Very impressed with the sound performance of this machine, best I've ever had. I've had the original intel iMac, a Rev A Aluminum iMac, PowerBook G4, and the new MBP and the newer the machine, the quieter they get.

radknee
Nov 16, 2008, 02:03 PM
>> I have the latest 3.2GHz model and I can say that this thing is dead quiet.

That's great news. Thanks.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 16, 2008, 02:41 PM
Maybe your system is just very dirty or the temp sensors are dirty? I have a dual 1.8 and this thing is whisper quiet. I can't believe how quiet it is even on full load. According to iStat most of my fans stays 1000rpm or less. Currently all my fans are 400rpm or less besides the DRIVE BAY fan as that seems to stay at a constant 1000.

radknee
Nov 16, 2008, 03:41 PM
Maybe your system is just very dirty or the temp sensors are dirty? I have a dual 1.8 and this thing is whisper quiet.

I'll check out iStat.

What's your normal indoor temp? I live in FL and it's generally 78 - 80 indoors (with AC on).

Right now we're having a 'cold' snap, it's around 63 outside, 73 inside. The G5 is fairly quiet but would be quite noisy compared to an iMac.

Has anyone compared an iMac to the Mac Pros?

nanofrog
Nov 16, 2008, 04:03 PM
I'll check out iStat.

What's your normal indoor temp? I live in FL and it's generally 78 - 80 indoors (with AC on).

Right now we're having a 'cold' snap, it's around 63 outside, 73 inside. The G5 is fairly quiet but would be quite noisy compared to an iMac.

Has anyone compared an iMac to the Mac Pros?
I'm originally from Orlando, so I definitely know what you mean about "cold snap". :p

As far as the iMac vs. Mac Pro, and the differences between 2.6 dual core..., it depends on what you need.

Can you give some details?
Type of use, software,..?

It could help. ;)

ventro
Nov 16, 2008, 05:23 PM
I have a Mac Pro and an iMac 24" sitting right next to each other.

The iMac is dead silent. The Mac Pro is not.

Anyone who has a Mac Pro and says it is dead silent is either lying or does not have a silent room.

The Mac Pro has some giant 120mm fans which even at their lowest RPM make sound simply because of the volume of air that is being pushed around.

Also I have a fanlessly cooled videocard (3870 + Accelero S1) so that is not the problem.