PDA

View Full Version : Obama faces BlackBerry and Apple laptop ban

MacBytes
Nov 16, 2008, 11:48 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Obama faces BlackBerry and Apple laptop ban (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081117004800)
Description:: The President-elect and ‘geek-in-chief’ isn't happy at being forced to give up his favourite gadgets once he moves into the Oval Office.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Will_reed
Nov 17, 2008, 12:33 AM
I can semi understand the phone, perhaps they could provide him a presidential blackberry or something but this isn't something he'll really need in the presidency. However I think a man should be able to bring his faithful Macintosh with him I mean come on!
Well unless you could ask one to be provided to you...

iParis
Nov 17, 2008, 12:38 AM
So are they just going to make him throw them away or something?

I have an idea on how getting rid of the BlackBerry is positive, he could get an iPhone!

Let the man have his MacBook!
Wait! Get an iMac or a Mac Pro.

mknawabi
Nov 17, 2008, 12:39 AM
Aw man, I thought he would have quit smoking already.

Will_reed
Nov 17, 2008, 03:53 AM
So are they just going to make him throw them away or something?

Most likely It will be put into storage somewhere.

bassproguy07
Nov 17, 2008, 03:59 AM
i can understand a blackberry or iphone but mac???

carlosbutler
Nov 17, 2008, 05:22 AM
i feel sorry for the guy, especially no laptop

nick9191
Nov 17, 2008, 05:32 AM
Hehe, like in prison.

Can't believe the president isn't allowed a phone or a computer.

tfredvik
Nov 17, 2008, 07:33 AM

Lucky guy, he's getting back his 4 (hopefully 8) year old laptop and iPhone when he moves out of the White House...

notjustjay
Nov 17, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hehe, like in prison.

Surely he's allowed them, as long as they're officially provided by the White House IT department.

samh004
Nov 17, 2008, 08:59 AM
The ban is so all correspondence can be logged, surely if his email goes through their own servers, it'll be logged, and even if they don't allow him to use email, I don't see why he couldn't just use his laptop to store photos, play music and maybe make a movie.

joenspa
Nov 17, 2008, 09:22 AM
I had the honor of being part of a bid team to put a new sound system in the Senate Chamber. I didn't win the bid but it's the one they are using now.
Anyway I was really surprised at the things that weren't allowed. Security is job one for those folks. You would be amazed at how smart they are. Sometimes it's the simplest of answers. Why can't he use a Mac Book? Mac Books can be picked up and carried off. Either by the bad guy or the good guy. Can THEY guarantee the good guy will always have it in a safe place, no. That's just one example. Blackberries I don't know about at a hacking level. Don't own one. But same deal, could be carried off. Don't all Blackberries go through a central server? Hmmmm National secrets, aka President's vacation plans, going through a central server watched by someone without security clearance. BTW Isn't that server in Canada??? Just going off what I remeber from Steve's iPhone intro speech.
Actually let's look at a worst case scenario. Obama is in his limo and it gets attacked. Car is disabled, not everyone dies but laptop or Blackberry can be grabbed and carried away.
Just a few examples. BTW that's why the Oval Office had an old rotary dial phone for so long. It was secured.

Joe The Dragon
Nov 17, 2008, 09:32 AM
Will his kids be able to have a system that they can play games on with out needing IT to be there for all the time to unlock the system for updates, new games , mods and more?

wordmunger
Nov 17, 2008, 09:42 AM
While he may lose the blackberry, he's probably still going to have a laptop (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/us/politics/16blackberry.html?scp=3&sq=blackberry&st=nyt):

For all the perquisites and power afforded the president, the chief executive of the United States is essentially deprived by law and by culture of some of the very tools that other chief executives depend on to survive and to thrive. Mr. Obama, however, seems intent on pulling the office at least partly into the 21st century on that score; aides said he hopes to have a laptop computer on his desk in the Oval Office, making him the first American president to do so.

MattOKC
Nov 17, 2008, 09:46 AM
Wait--let me get this straight. They're making him sacrifice his Mac for a Windows PC...because they are concerned about data integrity and security?!

This is a joke, right?

wordmunger
Nov 17, 2008, 09:47 AM
Wait--let me get this straight. They're making him sacrifice his Mac for a Windows PC...because they are concerned about data integrity and security?!

This is a joke, right?

No, the security issue is having any PC.

CodeYoda
Nov 17, 2008, 10:21 AM
IT Guy: I'm sorry Mr. President, but you can't have that Mac on your desk.

President: Yes, I can.

IT Guy: We don't support Macs.

President: You do now.

IT Guy: But we don't have a way to log email, or to secure this properly.

President: Well, you had better figure that one out quick, or I'll have to find someone who can.

IT Guy: Yes, sir.

End of story.

SPUY767
Nov 17, 2008, 02:30 PM
Lucky guy, he's getting back his 4 (hopefully 8) year old laptop and iPhone when he moves out of the White House...

Definitely four.

MattOKC
Nov 17, 2008, 02:39 PM
No, the security issue is having any PC.

That's what I mean--they're asking him to give up the MOST secure, reliable system around, so that his data will be on a PC instead. It's like requiring the US government to abandon the gold standard and use Flooz and Paypal for all transactions--for the sake of safety and security!

Kilamite
Nov 17, 2008, 02:47 PM
Politics is too old fashioned.

I find it funny how many politicians try to capture people via YouTube. Those in the UK will know about David Cameron (knob). Obama seems more natural about posting his weekly addresses to America on YouTube as a politician.

Shame he won't be able to use his Mac to create the YouTube videos.

sangosimo
Nov 17, 2008, 03:03 PM
why would he uses his mac to create the video; He has a whole production team doing all the recording an editing. It would be awesome if the members of his cabinet used a service like twitter (lanonica or yammer) to communicate.

aristobrat
Nov 17, 2008, 03:07 PM
That's what I mean--they're asking him to give up the MOST secure, reliable system around, so that his data will be on a PC instead. It's like requiring the US government to abandon the gold standard and use Flooz and Paypal for all transactions--for the sake of safety and security!
Where did you read anything about a PC in the article?

notjustjay
Nov 17, 2008, 03:13 PM

No. To continue your example, it would be like requiring the US government to abandon ANY publicly available currency -- no gold, no cash, no PayPal or Flooz -- so that there's NO chance of fraud from the outside.

The point is that (according to the article) he can't bring in a computer of any kind, not a Mac, not a Windows PC, not a Linux box.

aristobrat
Nov 17, 2008, 03:20 PM
From what I've read, that's always been a personal choice of the president (to not use a computer for communications).

sfh
Nov 17, 2008, 05:14 PM
I may not care for the guys plans but that bites that they wont let him have what he wants. apple needs to come out with iPresident at MWSF

macFanDave
Nov 17, 2008, 10:25 PM
I can see the concern for the BlackBerry. The messages necessarily have to cross international boundaries to go through RIM's servers in Canada.

But the ban on laptops (preferably a MacBook or MacBook Pro) is nonsensical. Surely, the White House has a secure network and anyone who has more than ****** for brains understands that all of your Internet travels and e-mails are recorded and stored for as long as IT wants to keep it, and will act accordingly. Our President-elect is very intelligent and will be able to use technology responsibly.

SkyBell
Nov 17, 2008, 11:55 PM

A Mac is classified as a PC too, you know.

dukebound85
Nov 17, 2008, 11:58 PM

the US isnt on the gold standard .....

Chaos123x
Nov 18, 2008, 02:23 AM
Obama is not a quitter.

BornAgainMac
Nov 18, 2008, 06:07 AM
How will he talk to Jack Bauer during a crisis now?

aristobrat
Nov 18, 2008, 07:58 AM
How will he talk to Jack Bauer during a crisis now?
On a Sprint phone. :D

MattOKC
Nov 18, 2008, 10:26 AM
A Mac is classified as a PC too, you know.

My mistake. I misunderstood.

TJunkers
Nov 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
Obama, I'll take both of them since you can't have them :p

Digital Skunk
Nov 18, 2008, 03:22 PM
That's why this country is in such bad shape! It has been run by Republicans using Vista!

Don't worry, though, Obama is so good that he'll fix all the mistakes Republicans made while using a Vista PC.

On a Sprint phone. :D

Great! That means he'll actually have constant access to a 3G network that IS actually fast, on a phone that can actually do REAL work.... like creating office documents, sending them and copying and pasting text into them. :D

joenspa
Nov 19, 2008, 08:39 AM
Folks read the article again.
---------
Concerns over email security and the need for all presidential correspondence to be entered into an official record, and eventually be open to public perusal, are expected to trump Obama’s own enthusiasm for technology.
---------
No where does it say anything about moving to a PC or anything else that uses a plug. And further down . . .
---------
While previous presidents have also faced a similar ban on having their own BlackBerry, Obama is believed to have been keen to bring his laptop to the West Wing – something no President has ever done before. But this is also likely to be stymied by the same security issues. . . . So they’ll sympathise with Obama, who could face four or even eight years in this tech-free zone.
----------
It's worse than no PC.

And for the record I am a Conservative that is sitting at his new MacBook Pro writing this. I have more Liberal friends on PCs than I do Conservative friends. How dare you attack Republicans like that. Argue my politics fine, call us Vista users and those are fighting words! :)

Rico190
Jan 8, 2009, 02:55 AM
How can he be denied the minimal services. There would definitely sumptuous alternatives for him.Yeah it would be something of this sort indeed :).IT Guy: I'm sorry Mr. President, but you can't have that Mac on your desk.

President: Yes, I can.

IT Guy: We don't support Macs.

President: You do now.

IT Guy: But we don't have a way to log email, or to secure this properly.

President: Well, you had better figure that one out quick, or I'll have to find someone who can.

IT Guy: Yes, sir.

End of story.

SFStateStudent
Jan 8, 2009, 10:47 AM
I think Apple should donate an Apple Mac-mini with 100" LCD screen and 3G iPhones for his entire family, staff and cabinet members...:p

iParis
Jan 8, 2009, 12:26 PM
I think Apple should donate an Apple Mac-mini with 100" LCD screen and 3G iPhones for his entire family, staff and cabinet members...:p

I don't think the Mac mini has enough power to generate on a 100" screen.

Kilamite
Jan 8, 2009, 12:40 PM
I don't think the Mac mini has enough power to generate on a 100" screen.

It isn't the size of the screen but the resolution.

MacTraveller
Jan 8, 2009, 01:03 PM
Obama faces BlackBerry and Apple laptop ban

I have a better idea. Obama should face a cigarette ban.

pdjudd
Jan 8, 2009, 01:04 PM

Reports are that he is actively quitting smoking as of several weeks ago.

Tallest Skil
Jan 8, 2009, 01:05 PM

Does he smoke? What's the point of that comment otherwise? :confused:

Interesting. I didn't know that he did.

drewsof07
Jan 8, 2009, 01:06 PM
With great power comes great responsibility. They probably want as few distractions as possible in the White House so that REAL work can get done over the next 4 years.
There will be plenty of time to browse MacRumors and play online poker after he leaves office :rolleyes:

The way I understood it, there were to be NO electronics, not just blackberry and Mac...
At least we know what was on his daughter's school lunch menu last week :rolleyes:

Acorn
Jan 8, 2009, 01:19 PM
the president cant have a phone since all phones can be used to locate your position even if the phone doesn't have gps. One way is using cell phone tower triangulation.

bottom line is cell phone for him is a bad idea.

gentlegiantcrai
Jan 8, 2009, 01:30 PM
Barack Obama vows to keep Blackberry despite hacking fears

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/4174298/Barack-Obama-vows-to-keep-Blackberry-despite-hacking-fears.html

Blue Velvet
Jan 22, 2009, 11:31 AM
President Barack Obama is going to get his blackberry.

On Monday, a government agency that the Obama administration -- but that is probably the National Security Agency -- added to a standard blackberry a super-encryption package.... and Obama WILL be able to use it ... still for routine and personal messages.

It's not clear whether he yet has the device.

With few exceptions, government Blackberries aren't designed for encryption that protects messages above the "SECRET" status, so it's not clear whether Obama is getting something new and special. The exception: the Sectera Edge from General Dynamics, which allows for TOP SECRET voice conversations.

Perhaps the NSA and US telecommunications companies have created a special, more secure digital pathway for Obama's messages to travel on, one that would resist the inevitable penetration attempts by foreign governments.

A General Dynamics spokesperson declined to comment; the NSA did not respond to an e-mail seeking comment, neither did two Obama spokespeople.

The messages, like other White House communications, will kept from the public for the duration of his presidency, if not longer.

Obama and other officials won't be able to use Instant Messaging in the White House.

Earlier in the transition, there was a plan to give select officials access to a Blackberry owned by the Democratic National Committee; the devices would be able to be used for political communication but would be subject to different disclosure rules.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2009/01/obama_will_get_his_blackberry.php

However loopholes in the system could mean that Obama - who has said "transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency" – would be able to continue using the device for personal messages that did not impact the presidency.

"If the president is emailing his wife about what time he'll be home for dinner, or checking on when the girls' play is… those are not constitutional and statutory business of the president," said Sharon Fawcett, director of presidential libraries at the National Archives, last week.

"Those are personal messages, so we wouldn't have that."

If Obama does get his hands on a mobile phone for emailing purposes, it is unlikely to be his favourite BlackBerry, however.

Only a limited number of devices are sanctioned for top secret government use – among them the Sectera Edge by Virginia-based General Dynamics. The handset is a heavy-duty highly secure mobile and has been certified by the National Security Agency and costs $3,350 (£2400).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/21/barack-obama-blackberry-national-security

So there you go. Now President Obama can receive LolCatz. Phew.

Sehnsucht
Jan 22, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hehe, like in prison.

If the prez were allowed his own private cell phone and computer, we'd have Watergates and Chinagates and Travelgates galore. :D To all future "tech-savvy" presidents...deal with it! :D