PDA

View Full Version : macmall.com is selling Virgina Tech G5s

PHARAOHk
Feb 11, 2004, 07:12 PM
Not really a good deal but I guess it's like cool or something?

www.macmall.com

Freg3000
Feb 11, 2004, 07:27 PM
Yeah I saw this. I wonder how they got them. I though V Tech had a deal to swap them with Apple?

niter
Feb 11, 2004, 07:32 PM
I wonder how they are doing this too. If the computers are Virginia Tech property, this is a total no no. I did have a hunch that these computers never would have VT serial numbers on them....

Still, we have not heard anything about this on campus and I know plenty of students would want one.

Powerbook G5
Feb 11, 2004, 07:49 PM
Maybe they just say they are VT G5s to mark up the price...

hugemullens
Feb 11, 2004, 07:51 PM
Leo Laporte just said on the screen savers that he ordered one. It's kinda cool, but not cool enough for me to keep me from ordering new or the dual 1.8 if i had the cash.

Peyote
Feb 11, 2004, 09:14 PM
Too bad t's not engraved, or doesn't come with a plaque or something riveted to the case, it'd be cool if it listed the # of the machine, like Powermac #550 of 1100...almost limited edition.

Sun Baked
Feb 11, 2004, 09:39 PM
Actually that is GOOD news, if they are "in stock."

That means Apple has already shipped the 90nm XServe G5s to VA Tech.

If they're already been installed in place of the old PowerMac G5s, then the new DP 2.5GHz PowerMacs shouldn't be too far behind.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?postid=170612

el coyote
Feb 11, 2004, 10:04 PM
Well, anyone with some inside info??

Any VT students see a sh**-load of apple xserves being delivered?

I imagine that you couldnt miss something like that...

Flynnstone
Feb 11, 2004, 10:41 PM
On the bright side, you know these machines have definitely had good burn-in cycles :D

niter
Feb 12, 2004, 11:03 AM
I checked around and these are legit.

BTW, there is no way we could see anything being deliverd to and from the super computer unless we worked in the Corporate Research Center. The CRC is a few miles aways from the main part of the campus and thus unless you have business there, you really have no reason to hang out over there.

krimson
Feb 12, 2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Yeah I saw this. I wonder how they got them. I though V Tech had a deal to swap them with Apple?

it says they were "refurbed by Apple", so im guessing they made a deal with Apple and purchased the entire stock, or the rights to resell them.