Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I'm just interested to know if you guys keep every single app you have downloaded. Even though the app is complete crap, do you keep it anyway hoping for a future update? Do you feel the need to delete apps since hard disk space is inexpensive nowadays? Do you just delete it off your iPod/iPhone, or do you delete it off your whole computer?

I have started to delete apps because I'm a neat freak lol. I'm also trying to keep my Springboard down to 3-4 pages since 9 pages is excessive and looks cluttered. I know apps can always be redownloaded for free, but jsut knowing that some app that might or might not get updated is taking up space on my computer bothers me.

What do you do?

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

If I like the app a lot, I'll keep it on my computer for storage.
I sometimes have to really think hard if I need an app on my phone or not. So, if it's not an app I'll use often, it's off my iPhone.
Two weeks ago I deleted a whole page of apps on my iPhone!

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
I get rid of ones that I don't use from the iPhone but still keep many on the computer if they are decent apps. The real sh*tty ones are deleted completely.

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I keep most of them. Only the ones I really use, stay on the phone. Some apps just need an update or two, to make them good, or they might go up in price.
The truly novelty/seasonal/crap ones get deleted tho.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
The more you have the slower the phone runs in my experience. I only keep the really good ones.

neilp4453

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I keep the ones I paid for.

Before I buy something..I read the reviews and stuff...but sometimes the app still turns out to so suck (Billy Frontier anyone?).

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I just selectively mark apps for install in iTunes but i do keep all the apps i've bought (i guess even the free ones) ... just so i can see if an app i was ONCE interested in gets updated since the AppStore doesn't make it straight forward to track new additions.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I delete 'em all, and just keep up with the update news on AppShopper just in case an app I deleted gets some feature that makes the app worthwhile again.

I dislike clutter.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I have maintained all of my Apps (Free/Purchased) on my computer. There is a total of 114 right now which takes up a measly 1.44 GB of space on my hard drive. There are 45 Apps and 4 Web Apps on my iPhone. I even keep the free ones as no one knows when it may become a paid one.

My only hope is that they allow categories soon so that our Apps can be put in genre like folders or views.

Just my .3 cents worth.

Touchy

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
I am keeping only those apps that I use frequently on the iPod touch but do save them on in iTunes in case I want them later, or they become a "paid" version later on. Can't see where it hurts to save them where they can be used at any tiime.

rhensley2007

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
Arlington, TX
New IPhone3g & Apps Store User

Have moved to dark side within the last month... First bought a 3G iphone, then an Imac. Guess those commericals are working. Use Windows for most of my business applications and website programming.

Before I bought the iMac, synced my 3G iphone with Windows XP. Really like Apps/Store. Have over 100 apps (mostly free). I recently hooked up my iPhone to my iMac and it says it's already associated with another phone.

To transfer my iPhone to my iMac, do I need to create another account in Itunes store, and then transfer my files to that account.....? Just asking for your experience.

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
My MacPro has plenty of space (4TB) so I have all I downloaded that I think have some value, about 60. I only paid for about 5 of them and no more than $5. I keep the ones I use most on my phone, about 2 pages worth. I have deleted more than a few repeats (apps that do the same thing) and try to only have the one that works best for me.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Pretty certain a record of the apps you've downloaded is kept by Apple. I've redownloaded an app that they started charging for after I deleted it, and I got a message saying that this update was free because I owned an earlier version of it.

Still might be a good idea to keep those apps updated though now that I think more carefully on it. An app company may be able to charge if yours isn't the version before the most recent update.

Just going on what I understood from an app developer... I might have that wrong though...

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Pretty certain a record of the apps you've downloaded is kept by Apple. I've redownloaded an app that they started charging for after I deleted it, and I got a message saying that this update was free because I owned an earlier version of it.

Still might be a good idea to keep those apps updated though now that I think more carefully on it. An app company may be able to charge if yours isn't the version before the most recent update.

Just going on what I understood from an app developer... I might have that wrong though...

That's what I thought too, but now you got me thinking with your second paragraph. Sometimes I even download apps that are meant for the iPhone just in case I get one in the future which clutters iTunes even more. Plus one for the poster who suggested folders for apps.

I've also noticed that some apps that are free for a limited time sometimes have the word 'free' on them on the iTunes app page after that app gets an updates. I wonder how the developers know if the app was paid for or not. Does the app we picked up for free get less updates than the ones people paid for even though they are the same app?

beate

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
[snip]
Before I bought the iMac, synced my 3G iphone with Windows XP. Really like Apps/Store. Have over 100 apps (mostly free). I recently hooked up my iPhone to my iMac and it says it's already associated with another phone.

To transfer my iPhone to my iMac, do I need to create another account in Itunes store, and then transfer my files to that account.....? Just asking for your experience.

You should start a thread with your questions so you get some responses. Most people here are just answering the thread question. Also, try posting in the "iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting" forum.

That being said...
1. No - you do not need to create a new account.
2. There is a way to get apps to your Mac but I don't want to detail that here, now.
3. The "other phone" association issue has been covered but I have no clue as to the answer.

Also - might be good to edit your profile & allow PMs. I would have rather responded through a PM as this is a bit off-topic and now I'm guilty also.:eek:

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
You should start a thread with your questions so you get some responses. Most people here are just answering the thread question. Also, try posting in the "iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting" forum.

That being said...
1. No - you do not need to create a new account.
2. There is a way to get apps to your Mac but I don't want to detail that here, now.
3. The "other phone" association issue has been covered but I have no clue as to the answer.

Also - might be good to edit your profile & allow PMs. I would have rather responded through a PM as this is a bit off-topic and now I'm guilty also.:eek:

I don't mind. I just don't want people who need to know the answers you gave to not be able to find them because they are hidden in this thread.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I've also noticed that some apps that are free for a limited time sometimes have the word 'free' on them on the iTunes app page after that app gets an updates. I wonder how the developers know if the app was paid for or not. Does the app we picked up for free get less updates than the ones people paid for even though they are the same app?
The free app stays free and is usually labelled FREE or LITE and the next version is released as a new app. Kind of an App developers workaround to the Apple free upgrade system I think.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I don't keep them...in fact, I really only use two of them...beejive and facebook...even though I bought a ton...that's a good $250+ I'll never see again :(.

bjelder

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
I don't keep them...in fact, I really only use two of them...beejive and facebook...even though I bought a ton...that's a good $250+ I'll never see again :(.

YIKES :eek::eek::eek::eek:

$250 in apps??

I've spent around 6 bucks, I keep the ones that I pay for hoping for updates and stuff.

If its free and I don't like it, I'll just get rid of it so it doesn't clutter my screen.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
YIKES :eek::eek::eek::eek:

$250 in apps??

I've spent around 6 bucks, I keep the ones that I pay for hoping for updates and stuff.

If its free and I don't like it, I'll just get rid of it so it doesn't clutter my screen.

I have 9 pages of free stuff! Some stuff I grab for free by tracking the prices with this site: http://twitter.com/148apps_pdrops. I got AirSharing for free! Even though I don't really use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.