Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
I recently upgraded to a 2.0 Aluminum MacBook with Leopard 10.5.5.
Obviously I had to install Civ 3 Complete. However, it is not a Universal Binary nor does it contain 2 finger scrolling support. 1.22 patch is supposed to fix both of those issues, but if you download the Rev A installer, it usually hangs at the 'OpenPlay.rsrc' file and ruins the PPC binary. I followed a ton of forums on the internets and never found the problem's solution... until today.

I directed my complaints towards Aspyr and in two days got this resolution. I am currently at work, where i have lots of time, but no mac! So i will be posting the solution and trying this out later... if it works for anyone please post for others. I am about 5 hours from trying the same thing on my system.

This is how to apply the manual rev a patch to civ 3 complete:

Aspyr Support said:
Hello Wyatt,

Thank you for contacting us.

What I am going to have you do it called a Manual install of the patch and it will be fairly easy.

-The first thing you need to do is completely uninstall Civilization 3.

To remove Civilization III: Complete, drag the "Civ III Complete" folder on your Mac HD to the trash. Then locate the Civilization III: Complete preferences file named "com.aspyr.civ3conquests.plist" located in Home/Library/Preferences and the "Civilization III Complete" folder located in Home/Library/Application Support and drag both of these to the trash.

-Then reinstall the game into your "Applications" folder.
-Then download the .DMG file from here:

http://files.aspyr.com/support/Civilization3_Mac_1.22RevA_ManualInstall.dmg

This file will contain the following:
1. A replacement .app for Civilization 3 Complete.
2. A replacement .app for Civilization 3 Play the World
3. A replacement read-me.
4. Instructions on how to install.

All you need to do is follow the "how to install" instructions.

To manually install version 1.22 Rev A, follow these steps:

1.Locate and open the "Civ III Complete" game folder on your computer.

2.Copy the new "Civilization 3 Complete Rev A Read Me" and "Civilization 3 Complete" application into your game folder. You will be asked to replace the existing copy of "Civilization 3 Complete" application.

3.Copy "Civilization 3 Play the World" application into your "Unsupported Extras" folder, replacing the existing copy.

4.Optionally, if you have a copy of "Civilization 3 Play the World" installed in your main "Civ 3 Complete" folder, then copy "Civilization 3 Play the World" into there as well.

This should get Civ. 3 working for you.

I hope this helps anyone who can't bare another minute having civ 3 bc of an accidental two finger scroll!

nr7393

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2008
Unexpected quit for Civ. 3

I just recently bought Civilization 3

I had to use the alternative download (posted by Wyatt 23) for my MacBook Pro.

Yet even though the game now loads, every two minutes or so the game just quits and the box that says "Civ. 3 unexpectedly quit....would you like to report to apple, relaunch, or ignore" pops up.

This is very annoying as I am unable to make any real progress in the game.

Does anybody know how to solve this???

Thanks.

Doog

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
I recently upgraded to a 2.0 Aluminum MacBook with Leopard 10.5.5.
Obviously I had to install Civ 3 Complete. However, it is not a Universal Binary nor does it contain 2 finger scrolling support. 1.22 patch is supposed to fix both of those issues, but if you download the Rev A installer, it usually hangs at the 'OpenPlay.rsrc' file and ruins the PPC binary. I followed a ton of forums on the internets and never found the problem's solution... until today.

I directed my complaints towards Aspyr and in two days got this resolution. I am currently at work, where i have lots of time, but no mac! So i will be posting the solution and trying this out later... if it works for anyone please post for others. I am about 5 hours from trying the same thing on my system.

This is how to apply the manual rev a patch to civ 3 complete:

I hope this helps anyone who can't bare another minute having civ 3 bc of an accidental two finger scroll!

Any joy with this Wyatt? Just got me a Mac Book Pro and Civ III complete - crashes as soon as I scroll...

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Any joy with this Wyatt? Just got me a Mac Book Pro and Civ III complete - crashes as soon as I scroll...

Have you tried Civ IV?

I am wondering if the newer game runs acceptably well on the 9400m or 9600m based notebooks.

mikemcc591

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
civilization III issue

Just got new imac and Civilization III complete. Game drops out after about 2 minutes of play. Any suggestions??

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
I had this problem - the only time it crashes and quits is when I try to do a two-finger swipe on the trackpad. As long you only use one finger on your trackpad and use ctrl for a right click, you'll be fine.

MonkeyCookie

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Have you tried Civ IV?

I am wondering if the newer game runs acceptably well on the 9400m or 9600m based notebooks.

I have a late-2007 Macbook with GMA x3100 graphics, and it's able to run Civilization IV quite smoothly. If the game works on that, it should have no problems at all on the notebooks with dedicated graphics cards like the 9400m or 9600m.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.