Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkazez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Hello,

I wanted to give a quick plug for FlightTrack, a new flight tracking app for iPhone and iPod touch. It's helpful for tracking your own flights and itineraries while on the go, or keeping tabs on family and friends en route. It also features really cool real-time flight maps so you can see exactly where your incoming flights are.

http://www.benkazez.com/flighttrack/

Enjoy!
Ben
--
Ben Kazez
FlightTrack - Track your flights on iPhone and iPod touch.

Attachments

• FlightTrack Primary.jpg
    FlightTrack Primary.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 114
  • FlightTrack Screenshot 1.jpg
    FlightTrack Screenshot 1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 89

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Congrats on getting your app out there. May I offer a couple of suggestions? You tout the map view as a big feature, why not include a screen shot of it? Also, I would be afraid $4.99 may be too high of a price for an app of this nature. Hopefully I'm wrong! Good luck.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
It looks like a very well done app to me. Although the other poster may be right about pricing. Time will tell, good luck with it. :)

bkazez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm attaching a screenshot of the flight tracker maps.

Regarding non-US international flights, I would love to see this feature as well, and our data provider is working on readying this for a release in the future. Stay tuned!

Ben
--
Ben Kazez
FlightTrack - Track your flights on iPhone and iPod touch.

Attachments

• FlightTrack Primary.jpg
    FlightTrack Primary.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 73

lunarmac

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah it looks good.
Reminds me of a souped up version of Flight Status back in my Palm Treo days (that was free by the way :)

Anyway, I agree that the price might be too high when another flight tracker from SplashData is only 2.99 but then again there is another one for 4.99. I see the sweet spot would be the at 3.99 or just undercut both for 1.99. But again you can always try to ramp up interest by doing a one day freebie :)

Good luck and great work.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
Version 2.0 released!!!

- Added gate numbers & baggage claim info for most flights.
- Dramatically improved flight delay and cancelation updates.
- Expanded to full international coverage.

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
I purchased this application. Tried it out the other day, wife was on a flight..was amazed by the accuracy.

Great application, well worth the money.

brezz

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Anyone else having problems getting the app to work? It was working well for me until I downloaded v.2 and now it keeps telling me I'm offline (even though my internet and other apps are working). I emailed Ben and he mentioned others might be having this problem too.

Brian

bkazez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2005
In case anyone has been having trouble with version 2.0, just wanted to let you know that turning ON 24-hour time (and then turning it off again) fixes the bug where "Search Error" appears repeatedly. The 24-hour time setting is in Settings > General > Date & Time. And Brian was instrumental in finding this!

Ben

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
It's irrelevant whether the information has been available or not, it's how convenient it is to access and how current the information is.

JNB

macrumors 604
It's irrelevant whether the information has been available or not, it's how convenient it is to access and how current the information is.

Um, as I already said, just google it. Entirely as convenient and real-time as the iPhone app (since it draws from exactly the same databases). Or is it just easier to make snap judgements?

Attachments

• flight tracking - Google Search.jpg
    flight tracking - Google Search.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 117

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Um, as I already said, just google it. Entirely as convenient and real-time as the iPhone app (since it draws from exactly the same databases). Or is it just easier to make snap judgements?

You are saying getting this information via an iPhone over the cellular network anyplace and anywhere is just as convenient as using a browser over a wired/wireless connection? Right.

I guess if someone doesn't toe the line and agree with you and the other spiteful buyer than they're wrong. Talk about snap judgements.

JNB

macrumors 604
You are saying getting this information via an iPhone over the cellular network anyplace and anywhere is just as convenient as using a browser over a wired/wireless connection? Right.

I guess if someone doesn't toe the line and agree with you and the other spiteful buyer than they're wrong. Talk about snap judgements.

Funny, I was getting the same info from websites on my iPhone as well (mobile Safari, remember?) since July of last year. You don't need an app to do it. You don't even need an iPhone (Blackberry, WinMobile, etc.). Every airline has real-time mobile flight tracking on their website, none of which requiring a traditional Ethernet connection.

Oh, FTR, this is one of five iPhone apps that do the same basic task.

So, if you believe that this particular app is somehow enabling terrorists in a way they haven't previously or as readily had available for over a decade, you've been severely under-informed.

The operative phrase here is "going off half-cocked."

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Achmed: But Osama, I would shoot this missile at the plane, but I can't conveniently get the flight tracking information.
Osama: What do you mean?
Achmed: Well, I have to get my big 'ol laptop out, wait for it to wake from sleep mode, try to find an open WiFi hotspot, google a website where I can get the information, and then finally, once I have it, I can launch that missile. But having to do all that is just a huge pain in the ass.
Osama: You're right, sounds like a hassle. We'll postpone the attack until an iPhone app comes out!

You know, if inconvenience was enough to stop a terrorist, we wouldn't even need airport security. Just throw a screaming baby on each flight and that will keep them away :rolleyes:

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
Looks nice but $4.99, a bit steep isn't it?

$5 is steep? Let's see what else you could buy for $5.

-5 McChickens
-A plain white t-shirt
-A cheap paperback book
-Some batteries

I don't know if you live in the same world I live in, but you cannot buy anything for $5 anymore, yet people talk about $5-$10 applications like they are expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.