Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It seems there was some interest in the previous post about discounts on the original 1.6GHz MacBook Air ($1149.99).

Our affiliate partner MacMall has since notified us that they are now offering the original 1.8GHz MacBook Air with 64GB SSD drive for $1749.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate. The original price when this model was first introduced in January was near $3000.

The current price of the high end 1.86GHz MacBook Air is $2,499, but you get a larger SSD drive (128GB) and a faster graphics card.

MacRumors financially benefits from these sales, but this was also felt to be of genuine interest.

Article Link: Original MacBook Air 1.8Ghz with 64GB SSD for $1749.99

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Is it really worth it given the issues that plagued the first gen models?

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Cheap...but I think that the 1.6GHz 80GB is a better deal....cant get better than $1150....well maybe it can in a few months.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
I think that the new graphics card is a must in light of the Air's underwhelming power...

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
I want the MacBook Air badly, but just can't justify the price considering the new macbook is not THAT much heavier.

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I want the MacBook Air badly, but just can't justify the price considering the new macbook is not THAT much heavier.

I kinda feel the same way. Plus it's faster with a bigger hard disk and FW400... oops! No more FW on the MacBook... :p

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Having bought the new Macbook 2.4 and just traded it for a 1.8/128SSD , the macbook weigh a ton, compared to the Air, its a great MB but the screen is so much better on the Air and love the bezel much better.

Cool as ice and no issues at all with the MBA!

I had both revs of the Air, go with the new one!

Pnapp

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
MBA=Junk

When I saw the price I ordered one of these MacBook Airs last Sat. It arrived tody and i am sending it right back in the morning. I spent the entire day on the phone with apple care and In simple terms the MBA does nothing it claims. It did not transfer files and settings from my other macbook pro and the support the tech had me email the files to the macbook air to complete the transfer. Pretty sad if you ask me. What happened to the SEAMLESS network sharing?
In short the Macbook Airs are obviously not selling well and for obvious reasons (they are junk) and thats why this vendor is trying to give them away.
My advice save your money or get something more reliable.

Peace
:confused::apple:::confused:

kevinerskine

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
Confused. As the 1.8 with 64ssd was NOT 1749.99 on macMall, The 80gb hard drive was.

Refurbished units (1.8/64 ssd) are available for $1,699.00 through Apple

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
The GEN1 with SSD not worth the money anymore since the Gen2 SSD is now 128GB and probably way faster than the Gen1. The Gen1 HD version is a great price tho. ;)

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Then Gen1 had too many issues and was PATA, bought the Gen 2 and its perfect and SATA!

Good price for budget minded!

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City

I agree, for 1lb more you get a bigger, replaceable battery, more than one USB port, an optical disk drive, the illuminated keyboard, more processing power...

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
The GEN1 with SSD not worth the money anymore since the Gen2 SSD is now 128GB and probably way faster than the Gen1. The Gen1 HD version is a great price tho. ;)

It is much quicker!

I agree, for 1lb more you get a bigger, replaceable battery, more than one USB port, an optical disk drive, the illuminated keyboard, more processing power...
1.5 lbs, had the new macbook but still like the MBA more.If you have both in your hands it a big difference.

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada

Weight - 1.5LB more, actually.
Battery - True.
USB - Well, the MB has 2, so...Not a huge improvement
Optical Drive - True.
Illuminated Keyboard - MBA has this too.
Processing power - An unnoticeable amount.

jjk294

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2008
Discounted 64GB SSD vs New 120GB

How is the performance of the 64GB SSD versus the new 120GB HD? They're both at roughly the same price point, and I'm wondering if it doesn't make more sense to then just got with the newer HD option for the price? From what I gather the HD option is significantly faster (?) and doesn't overheat.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
How is the performance of the 64GB SSD versus the new 120GB HD? They're both at roughly the same price point, and I'm wondering if it doesn't make more sense to then just got with the newer HD option for the price? From what I gather the HD option is significantly faster (?) and doesn't overheat.

Considering there aren't any 120gb HDD Airs out yet, who knows. Honestly, I'm not sure Apple will get these out in the next 4 weeks.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Having bought the new Macbook 2.4 and just traded it for a 1.8/128SSD , the macbook weigh a ton, compared to the Air, its a great MB but the screen is so much better on the Air and love the bezel much better.

Cool as ice and no issues at all with the MBA!

I had both revs of the Air, go with the new one!

I'm hoping I can find a cheap source for a MBA screen for my MB. I really hate the screen on this and am always a bit disapointed when I see the matte MBP LED screens, its so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.