PDA

View Full Version : CS4 Scanning Fix! - TWAIN Scanner's Don't show Up!

agentphish
Nov 17, 2008, 06:46 PM
Ok, so I have a CanoScan LiDE80 and LiDE100.

When I got CS4, and installed it, neither of those would show up under the File>Import menu. Normally they'd be there, you'd click them, and it launches the scangear app within photoshop.

Basically they were MIA.
I found a folder on the installation DVD called "Goodies"
In there is a folder called Optional "Plug-Ins"
In there is a folder called "Import-Export"

What is the ONE file in that folder??? TWAIN.plugin

Put that into Adobe Photoshop CS4/Plug-ins/Import-Export and you are golden. This should work for any TWAIN-based scanner. I can NOT believe Adobe didn't include this in the basic install of Photoshop, as it's been there at least since CS, probably since before that, and MOST scanners are still using TWAIN.

I hope this helps someone!

Roy Hobbs
Nov 17, 2008, 07:02 PM
For those of you that can't find it you can download it here as well.....

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4047

jerryrock
Nov 18, 2008, 06:19 PM
Adobe recommends NOT using the Twain Plug-in with Photoshop CS4 running on an intel based Mac.

"When you use TWAIN to import from an imaging device, such as a scanner, you may encounter problems similar to the following:
Photoshop or your scanner application freezes or quits unexpectedly.
You are unable to close the scanner window.
You encounter errors during import.
The preview of the imported image, or the imported image itself, appears incorrect on screen. "

Jerry

Roy Hobbs
Nov 18, 2008, 06:20 PM
Adobe recommends NOT using the Twain Plug-in with Photoshop CS4 running on an intel based Mac.

"When you use TWAIN to import from an imaging device, such as a scanner, you may encounter problems similar to the following:
The preview of the imported image, or the imported image itself, appears incorrect on screen. "

Jerry

Works just fine for me, I scanned over 100 images today

aross99
Nov 18, 2008, 10:27 PM

Jerry

What do they recommend that you use then? Is there some new scanner driver technology on the Mac that has replaced TWAIN? I know Windows has something different, but I thought the Mac drivers were all still TWAIN.

joolk
Nov 19, 2008, 01:17 PM
Thank you! Due to your instruction I now can scan!

-Julia

jerryrock
Nov 19, 2008, 04:35 PM
Twain is now "use at your own risk" in Photoshop.

"The TWAIN plug-in for Macintosh has been removed. If you would like to have TWAIN support on your Macintosh system, we strongly recommend that you access your device through Rosetta (PPC) OS. Otherwise, we suggest that you scan your image in first and then separately open the image in Photoshop.

The plug-in can be found on your install DVD under:
//<language>/Goodies/Optional plug-Ins/Import-Export/TWAIN plug-in or online at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Macintosh .
Drop this plug-in into the //Adobe Photoshop CS4/Plug-ins/Import-Export folder.

NOTE (Windows-only): the TWAIN plug-in is installed for Windows users. However, we strongly suggest you use WIA support for your device if available. If your device does not support WIA drivers, then we recommend you try updating your TWAIN driver. Photoshop will not support TWAIN for any 64-bit operating systems. Please contact the manufacturer of your device for further TWAIN support direction."

Jerry

oreocracker
Nov 21, 2008, 01:13 PM
I got so tired of using the plug ins and having issues, I finally got VueScan. It's easier to use and I get support. Not advertising, just a fact. Works great.

Kid Red
Nov 30, 2008, 10:22 PM
I downloaded the plugin put it as outlined above but CS4 still does not show it as an option.

covisio
Dec 1, 2008, 02:16 AM
I got so tired of using the plug ins and having issues, I finally got VueScan. It's easier to use and I get support. Not advertising, just a fact. Works great.

I echo that.
VueScan is as easy to use as any plug-in for Photoshop. As soon as the scan is executed, it can be set to open the image directly in PS. The Pro version is as sophisticated as you would ever need can be easily calibrated.

cusp2011
Dec 5, 2008, 11:42 PM
Adobe Acrobat Pro is bundled with many CS4 suites. There is full scanning capability and plenty of export options available in the program...as well as that cool Distribute Forms feature!

Go to File>Create PDF> From Scanner
and then Export it as you choose

dMullins
Dec 15, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hey all, I've been scouring the web all morning trying to get my old scanner to work again, and I think I've found a Universal solution at-last, and I think it's a lot simpler than anyone might have imagined. What I've found is that it's a simple naming error in the software/driver installers.

jerryrock
Dec 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
This forum is not free advertising for your blog. If you have something constructive to add, post it here.

dMullins
Mar 5, 2009, 03:59 PM
Um, okay. I could truly care less if anyone reads my blog. I was merely trying to be helpful.

But as you requested, here's the info:

hew! My upgrade to CS4 has been a complete pain in the rear from the day I pulled the DVDs out of the boxes, but it hasn’t all been Adobe’s fault. First, it was all of my out-dated filters and plug-ins I have purchased over the years. Most of the time, the software providers had been slow on the uptake, and were weeks behind developing updates for their CS3 versions. This time though, it’s Canon that is to blame, and this one takes the cake.
I have an older scanner that my mom gave me as a High School graduation present back in 2000 — a Canon CanoScan LiDE 50 bus-powered USB scanner. While I do admit that 8-years old is a long time for technology to last nowadays, but there’s a prevailing conventional wisdom in the technology community that if it isn’t broken, it should work and at least attempt to maintain a streamlined, forward-compatibility software structure. Well, before I made the move from San Francisco to Greensboro, NC, I had a couple of projects of mine that I wanted to scan, because I don’t have a nice SLR to reproduce the works digitally. Unfortunately, I could not find the USB cable for the life of me, and I didn’t feel like shelling out $50 for a USB cord for an 8-year old scanner either.
What do I find though yesterday at long last as I’m unpacking some boxes for my new rack system in the studio room, but the USB cable! I was thinking about it all last night, how I was going to sit down today and crank out these scan jobs, and relish in the fact that I have a functioning scanner again. Of course, when I go to re-install the drivers from Canon’s site, the LiDE 50 doesn’t turn on, let alone show up anywhere; not in Photoshop CS4’s TWAIN Import, not in my system’s Image Capture utility, not in VueScan, or even the ScanGear Toolbox. Not to be discouraged that easily, I hopped on the web and did some quick research, only to find this post on MacRumors.com, which led me to this freeware download on Adobe’s site. Granted, I do I have my original CS4 install discs handy in the other room, but I was feeling extra lazy, because I was up at the break of dawn this morning to take Julie to her first day of orientation at Moses Cone.
At this point, I’m feeling very optimistic. I’ve got my new drivers from Canon, my TWAIN plug-in for the CS4 platform, and a cup of coffee. I should be scanning in no time, right? It’s been about 45 minutes by now, so I plug in the scanner, and I’m ready to rock and roll at long last.
Nope. Nothing. At all. No lights on the scanner, no activity in Activity Monitor, no new devices discovered in Image Capture or in TWAIN Queue. ”What the heck is going on,” I’m wondering. ”It’s 2008, this stuff should just WORK.”
So I dug around a little deeper, and finally found what I was looking for after about another 30 minutes of pro web surfing and reading this obscure little post on MacUpdate.com by CNYMIKE.
CNYMIKE: I’ve installed the CanoScan Toolbox 5.0 for my Intel iMac but when I go into settings, the scanner doesn’t show in the dropdown because it can’t see a driver. I have the driver but do not know where to install it so that CanoScan Toolbox 5.0 can see it. Putting it in the same folder as the CanoScan Toolbox 5.0 does nothing. Neither does putting it in /library/application support/canon/ScanGear/plugins.

So that got me thinking — “I should check my directories and see if those folders even exist on my system.” Lo and behold, they didn’t. And at long last, I was sure I had found the solution to this convoluted problem. I quickly created the following two directories on my file system, under my main user account:
/Library/Application Support/Canon/ScanGear/Plugins

/Library/Application Support/Canon/ScanGear/Plug-ins

I’m not sure which is the correct directory, honestly. I merely created them both on my drive, and re-ran the driver installation, assigning the installation to each of the folders (after fully un-installing previous installation attempts, of course). I took a sip of the last bit of my coffee, crossed my fingers, and opened up the CanoScan Toolbox software.
Nothing, again.
More frustrated than words could describe, I stood up and walked away from the computer, and moreover the scanner, so that nothing was broken in the fit of anger. ”Hmm…I bet I didn’t set something up right in the CanoScan Toolbox software,” I was thinking. So I walked back over, and looked at the Configuration dialogs. ”Eureka! — that’s gotta be it!.” A little empty box near the bottom of the panel says, “Link scanned image to…” but the link box was empty. I clicked the “Set” button, and navigated to where I had dumped the CS4 TWAIN plug-in inside my Photoshop CS4 directory (Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Plug-ins/Import-Export/TWAIN.plugin) and hit Enter. Suddenly the “SCAN” button was actually clickable. Excitement filled my little heart.
I hit “SCAN”, and good Lord, my scanner awoke from a four year slumber, just as if it had never hibernated a day in its life.

Ah, it feels so good to figure that out. Archaic, convoluted, and backwards are just a few ways to describe the process I had to go through to get this to work. I can’t fault Adobe, because it is definitely not their fault. But I certainly have some words for the developers at Canon who built this installer out. Moreover, the lack of documentation is pretty disturbing. It makes me wonder what their motives are for something so atrociously messed up. Are they too tapped for time and resources to develop this out correctly? Do they just want the masses to give up, and go buy a new printer? I really don’t know, but whatever the motives, it’s been a routine in impractical programming and software engineering, and an interesting lesson in perseverance.
The main reason that I decided to blog this though was to help anyone else out there who comes across the same problem. Hopefully this can help them the way it helped me, and possibly save them another $150-200 that they would have otherwise have spent on a brand new printer when they didn’t need it.

Feel free to check my blog's comments -- http://blog.dylanmullins.com/ for similar solutions that other users have found to their unique computer setups.

shawnmm
Mar 6, 2009, 11:56 AM
THANK YOU!!! The info is much appreciated.

dMullins
Mar 21, 2009, 01:00 AM
I'm happy to hear this helped you out. I've gotten a lot of great feedback about this post here and on my blog. I just wanted to help others find a similar solution to their problem, as there was almost NO support anywhere online to help me figure out my own.

Sewje
Mar 21, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have a ide80 scanner this is how to get it working.

* You need to install the Toolbox first.
* Then install the scangear driver, this will install the driver into the correct place in the Toolbox.
* When you hit Scan button it will open the Toolbox and ask to select a program to open the scan with, just browse thru your Applications and Photoshop directory and look for the Photoshop.bin.
* If it worked it will give the Scan Preview window where you can do all your adjustments.
* You can configure everything manually in the Toolbox if the above steps didn't work.

I tried the Twain method, it doesn't work for me either.

MikeMaravilha
Jun 3, 2009, 08:50 AM
Just in case somebody doesn't understand this: "If you would like to have TWAIN support on your Macintosh system, we strongly recommend that you access your device through Rosetta (PPC) OS."

Close Photoshop, find it in your applications folder and select and open 'Get Info' under File in the Finder. There is a check box for 'open using rosetta'.

I had installed twain, which didn't (and still doesn't) show up in Photoshop under 'File -> Import'. I had put the plugin for my Canon Euroscan N1220U in the Photoshop -> Plug-Ins -> Import-Export folder, but starting Photoshop normally gave an error for the plugin. Having checked the rosetta box it is now working fine.

YrbkladyCarla
Jun 8, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hey all. Just wanted to say that this was all very helpful! Thank you! I did download the TWAIN plug-in and drop it in the Import/Export folder as recommended here and it works perfectly with my crummy Brother MFC.Hoping to upgrade that, soon, but all is working for now. Thanks again!

Ginfiend
Jul 2, 2009, 10:10 AM
Um, okay. I could truly care less if anyone reads my blog. I was merely trying to be helpful.

But as you requested, here's the info:

I clicked the “Set” button, and navigated to where I had dumped the CS4 TWAIN plug-in inside my Photoshop CS4 directory (Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Plug-ins/Import-Export/TWAIN.plugin) and hit Enter. Suddenly the “SCAN” button was actually clickable. Excitement filled my little heart.
I hit “SCAN”, and good Lord, my scanner awoke from a four year slumber, just as if it had never hibernated a day in its life.

Hurrah - thanks for that - you solved my 'plug-in-not-working' problem! :) I no longer feel the need to break things and shout a lot.

qnofchrts
Aug 4, 2009, 08:57 AM
Now my printer is showing up: an inexpensive Epson I use mostly for faxing. I still cannot get the app to recognize the CanoScan 8400F. Will keep playing.

sraymond
Aug 12, 2009, 08:31 PM
I've been using Adobe products for about 15 years now and never have I upgraded to something to find that I had to do something like this. I had CS2 installed and a Xerox Phaser 6115mfp. I upgraded to CS4 and lo and behold I could not scan from Photoshop anymore. I tried reinstalling the printer/scanner drivers and nothing worked until I found this post that I had to go onto the "extras" CD for CS4 and copy the twain plugin over to photoshop. As long as I can remember that scanners have been around the twain plugin has always been a part of the Photoshop install. SHAME on Adobe for not installing it automatically in CS4. What do they think, we have nothing better to do as designers but to try and figure out why our scanner was working in a previous creative suite but not now in the new creative suite we just upgraded? My time is precious and billable and I don't have time to sit and research this sort of crap when we pay enough for each upgrade which seems to happen every year with Adobe that things that were once part of the install should always be part of the install!!!!!!!!~!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't take that stuff away from us and leave us to try to figure it out!!!!

wilsonlaidlaw
Sep 8, 2009, 05:38 AM
Tried the various solutions and nothing works for my LIDE 35. Dialog box says scanner driver not installed. I will go back to using Vuescan even though it is a 2 step solution. This is going to be a PITA when I am back in the UK, as I have a whole bunch of old glass slides to scan in on my LIDE 600. Where did Adobe get the idea that Mac users would not like to be able to scan direct into CS4? I know of at least 2 professional photographers, who do much of their macro like work on scanners.

Wilson

MacRumorUser
Sep 8, 2009, 06:09 AM
Tried the various solutions and nothing works for my LIDE 35.

Same model. Same problem. I have to scan via Preview and then load scan into photoshop. It's a pain... I hoped Snow Leopard would fix but no.

Add that to CS4 not liking images being dragged onto the PS icon. CS4 is looking like the worst adobe upgrade in a long while...

singviol
Dec 4, 2009, 03:49 PM
Thank you thank you thank you! Could not for the life of me figure this out - and after finding your post, it took me all of 3 minutes to find the plug-in, put it where it needed to go, and voila! My scanner re-appeared. Gotta love the 'net.

lhendr
Dec 27, 2009, 09:27 PM
What frustration! By reading all the suggestions here, and fiddling around for about 5 hours, I finally dragged the TWAIN.plugin I had downloaded several times both from that well-hidden "goodies" folder and through the link given by someone here--but that would not be recognized by CS4--into the Photoshop. Perhaps it will save someone else a few hours if I list the process I have reconstructed that finally got the Canon 8400F scanner recognized by Photoshop. A call to Applecare was of no help. These are the kinds of experiences I have had in the past month since I switched from Windows to Mac, really making me wonder about the wisdom of that switch.

This is what worked for me: Photoshop > Preferences > Plug-Ins >Additional Plug-Ins Folder > Choose. Then I dragged the icon for Twain.plugin from the desktop to the "shared folder" space. When I closed Photoshop CS4 and then started up again, lo and behold! there was the scanner, looking the way it has always done when connected to Photoshop CS2 in Windows.

dfiasco
Dec 31, 2009, 01:44 PM
is it safe to keep Photoshop running in Rosetta when I am using other features but not scanning, or should I only have this box checked when scanning?

thanks!

melchior
Jan 9, 2010, 06:48 PM
is it safe to keep Photoshop running in Rosetta when I am using other features but not scanning, or should I only have this box checked when scanning?

thanks!

safe, but slow.

Manilalou
Jan 11, 2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks to agentphish for this. I've been tearing my hair out (what little is left) trying to figure out why CS4 competely ignored my Canon LIDE scanner. You've saved me a bunch of time - many thanks in order !

woil16
Jan 13, 2010, 04:52 AM
Just in case somebody doesn't understand this: "If you would like to have TWAIN support on your Macintosh system, we strongly recommend that you access your device through Rosetta (PPC) OS."

Close Photoshop, find it in your applications folder and select and open 'Get Info' under File in the Finder. There is a check box for 'open using rosetta'.

I had installed twain, which didn't (and still doesn't) show up in Photoshop under 'File -> Import'. I had put the plugin for my Canon Euroscan N1220U in the Photoshop -> Plug-Ins -> Import-Export folder, but starting Photoshop normally gave an error for the plugin. Having checked the rosetta box it is now working fine.

Did this after trying to install an old CanoScan N650U and it worked like a charm. Went to the effort of registering for this forum just to say thanks a lot for posting this tip, was about to give up on it. Good one!

caocholta
Jan 20, 2010, 10:22 AM
Ok, so I totally stumbled upon this thread at the right time, and since it is a fairly recent thread I figured I would share my troubles.

I have an Epson V350 perfection scanner. I installed the epson scanning software and am less than impressed with the results. Since I have photoshop, iphoto, and adobe elements I thought I would try scanning into those programs before I go out and buy a new scanner. Well I downloaded the TWAIN plugin placed it into plug-ins/import-export folder and nothing, I tried to set the plugin to open with rosetta under the get info menu, but I just don't see rosetta anywhere. I'm not really sure what to do from here.

I am running Snow Leopard. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Logan

TeenyChili
Jan 30, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'm going to go mad!
I downloaded the TWAIN plug in and Photoshop CS4 did recognise my scanner however whenever I try to scan it shuts photoshop down and the scanner freezes.
I tried running Photoshop in Rosetta and it still did this!
I also tried scanning using Adobe Acrobat Pro and it also shut the program down. I have been able to scan on other machines before so it's not the scanner. I just am not sure what to do. I have literally tried all the advice on this thread. I'm wondering if I've missed something!

Can anybody help?

P.S my scanner is a Canon MP610

ShareSmiles
Jun 29, 2010, 12:12 AM
Hi TeenyChili,

I was wondering if you got this problem of yours fixed, as I am having the same problem as you. With my MP610 and CS4. I have done all the things suggested above. Can you suggest the next move?

terrywfoster
Sep 27, 2010, 07:32 PM
Did all these steps and no go.

The plug in add on says my photoshop does not support these file types.

It's CS4 Extended if that matters

Any ideas how I can make this scanner scan without me trashing it buying a good one that will?

citizenzen
Sep 27, 2010, 07:33 PM
Did all these steps and no go.

The dance between hardware and software upgrades can get pretty ugly sometimes.

I would reinstall Photoshop CS3 and use it to do the scanning.

terrywfoster
Sep 27, 2010, 07:50 PM
I don't own cs3, just cs4

citizenzen
Sep 27, 2010, 08:04 PM
I don't own cs3, just cs4

:(

Blue Velvet
Sep 28, 2010, 10:28 AM
Any ideas how I can make this scanner scan without me trashing it buying a good one that will?

Try Image Capture.app. Still a workaround and not ideal... but cheaper than buying a new scanner.

Bastich
Oct 2, 2010, 01:26 AM
Try Image Capture.app. Still a workaround and not ideal... but cheaper than buying a new scanner.

+1.

I just rediscovered this thread while trying to get my trusty old Epson Perfection 3200 Photo going after an Intel hardware upgrade. I was dismayed to find that now that I can run CS4 natively, I can no longer scan! Sure enough, setting Photoshop to open using Rosetta makes the scanner magically reappear in the Import menu, although it doesn't actually work that way either.

Thanks Adobe, for making a professional image editing program that can't scan images.

B)

kevingaffney
Oct 2, 2010, 03:06 AM

Agree fully. Vuescan is great with the added advantage that in the future, regardless what adobe break on updates, vuescan will continue to work perfectly

Hrh2002
Mar 6, 2012, 01:49 AM
Hi,

Everyone seems to be having success so what am I doing wrong?

I'm using a Mac Pro Quadcore with Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 and want to scan photos straight into Ps CS4 version 11.0.2 using a Canon Canoscan LIDE 100.

BUT when I go to Import there is no TWAIN option, there is only: Variable Data Sets (grayed out), Video Frames to Layers, Anti-Alised PICT, PICT Resources and Notes (grayed out).

I right click on Adobe Photoshop CS4 inside the Ps CS4 folder to bring up "Get Info" and click the check box that states "Open using Rosetta" BUT when I click open the Ps icon to open it Ps crashes straight away. I click "Reopen" and it crashes straight away. Un tick the Rosetta check box and Ps opens fine.

I assumed this was Apples problem because Rosettas their program but after walking it through the Apple care operator and following his instructions to download a PowerPC version of VLC (which started up fine without doing a thing)to see if Rosetta was automatically installed, I was told that it's an Adobe problem. Urrrggghhh

Then I downloaded the TWAIN plugin and followed the instructions and dropped it into the import-export folder and NOTHING!

The scanner works with Snow Leopards native Image Capture so it's not the scanner. Except that the scanner buttons dont seem to work when they used to on a MacBook. But here on the Mac Pro I cant find anything within the Ps menus that resembles "permission" to scan.

I need to do a lot of photo correction/remove blurred/restoration and read that it's better to scan the old photos straight into Ps to ensure no quality is lost during the scan. Regardless if this 100% true I still should be able to scan straight into Ps. I mean the CS4 package + Mac cost enough.

What is it that I'm doing wrong or missing here? Any help would be sooo appreciated!

mdferrin
Mar 24, 2014, 07:51 PM
[/COLOR]Adobe recommends NOT using the Twain Plug-in with Photoshop CS4 running on an intel based Mac.

Jerry

If it works it WORKS! Period. These are very lame--if not idiotic-- reasons, Jerry. Seriously. What a whack job you did here. Can't close the scanner window? WTF!

jerryrock
Mar 27, 2014, 12:15 PM
[/COLOR]

If it works it WORKS! Period. These are very lame--if not idiotic-- reasons, Jerry. Seriously. What a whack job you did here. Can't close the scanner window? WTF!

Who the F are you and why are you digging up a four year old post in an attempt to discredit me?

This advice came directly from ADOBE, the creators of the software, take it up with them!

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/twain-plug-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html

aaron.lee2006
Apr 2, 2014, 01:50 PM
Who the F are you and why are you digging up a four year old post in an attempt to discredit me?

This advice came directly from ADOBE, the creators of the software, take it up with them!

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/twain-plug-photoshop-cs4-cs5.html

Mike from Missouri. Hi Mike!