Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Browzilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
I've currently got a 15" MPB 2.2GHz Santa Rosa machine. A friend has the new low-end aluminum Macbook. And more or less offered a trade. Not a straight-up trade, obviously. Trade + cash. And it occurred to me: as much as I love the screen size and whatnot, maybe. Maybe.

Hard drive is bigger, RAM is the same, CPU speed is mostly negligible. (I don't do too much heavy work. Occasionally some fairly minor photoshopping, video once in a blue moon.)

The main concern I do have is the GPU. I play games in Boot Camp. TF2, KotoR, all sorts of stuff of varying newness. How does the new MB stack up?

MB improvements mean little to me. Side optical drive is nice, glass trackpad I could care less about.

Opinions? A little less weight on my shoulders might be a nice thing, but certainly not a necessity.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Definitely not worth the trade. If you want a new Macbook, it's better for you to sell your machine and use the funds to buy a high end Macbook yourself. Most likely you will end up with a little extra cash.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
I would say keep your current MacBook Pro. Get an Nehalem MacBook with Snow Leopard. That would be a worthy upgrade from your MacBook Pro.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
who would be giving the cash in the trade, you or your friend? If you are the one to give the cash, then no way. if he is the one throwing in the cash... maybe. i have the new macbook and i like it a lot, but it's not a pro machine. if you have the pro machine and like it, you may be a bit disappointed in this "upgrade".

Browzilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
I'd be the one getting a bit of cash for it. Point being, the pro is nice, but a fair bit more than I need. I'm pretty certain I could live with the alum MB on almost every drop, but what I can't seem to find is a graphics comparison of the MBP 2.2 to the MB 2.0.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
^ the graphics is offset by alot. the Mb graphics, while good, cannot even compare with the dedicated GPU in the MBP. the MB is still considered integrated, but is very powerful for such a category of GPUs. You will definitely be downgrading yourself. The processor is slower, has less L2 cache, ram/HD you can upgrade yourself should the MB have more of or bigger. The GPU is a big downgrade, as is the screen (urs might be matte vs glossy) and keyboard. No FireWire on the MB, but FW 400 and FW 800 on the MBP. No PCI Express slot on MB either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.