Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorahk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
North Korea
Hey guys, wondering the success on running COD4 in bootcamp (I'm doing it in vista) on the UNI MBP.

I found that the performance isn't as good as I was expecting, and I upgraded to the latest (180.44) drivers from nvidia. I was wondering what I should do?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
It all depends on how important playing Windows games is... if it's really important, get a full-blown PC game player desktop machine with a 24" monitor and have fun. There are limits to most laptops regardless of whether they are Mac or Win, with performance vs. heat being the main one, IMHO.

Otherwise, see if there is a Mac version. It might take better advantage of the MBPs gpu than running Windows/Bootcamp. Most of the best games are out for Mac, from what I understand, and I think a lot of them are actually developed on Macs - or at least that's what I've read.

frijec

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
First of I'd go with Win Xp any time for games.

If that doesnt do much for you, try tunring off fps consuming details like shadows and glow.

If none of that helps, I'd check my mbp.

archimonde

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2008
funny thing, I checked the forum because my CoD4 performance on Unibody 2.53 was also a bit disappointing. I am running it on OS X.

The weird thing is, when it starts to lag, I would minimize to monitor cpu usage through istat, and the cpu isnt maxed out (around 70% per core).
Also, when CoD adjust automatically to the optimal setting for my config, it sets screen resolution to 1024x768.

I thought perhaps my hardware was defective. I am also having issues with sleeping, as I find many other people do. Sometimes, it would just wake up from sleeping by itself, then try to sleep again, and wake up, repeat until I shut it down.

Hydroxs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta
If you are going to game, do it in windows. I play Cod4 find under vista 64bit at 1440x900 with everything on but shadows, spec. map, and soften smoke.

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
There is a framerate-enhancing config for COD4 available here: http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=320&Itemid=74

It does remove some eye candy, but it's set up so that you can turn it up or down on the fly, in-game.

I've used this in the PC demo version of COD4 using bootcamp with a considerable increase in framerates on a 2.4ghz MBP with the 8600GT.

I'd like to find out if the same config settings will work on the Mac version of COD4

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
I ran the CoD4 demo at 1440x900 with many of the settings turned up in Vista and it ran well enough for me. I didn't know about Fraps at the time so I don't have framerate numbers, but I was certainly satisfied. I can download it again tonight and see what I get.

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
I ran the CoD4 demo at 1440x900 with many of the settings turned up in Vista and it ran well enough for me. I didn't know about Fraps at the time so I don't have framerate numbers, but I was certainly satisfied. I can download it again tonight and see what I get.

I'm not familiar with Fraps, but you should be able to type /cg_drawfps 1 in the console to see the real-time framerate.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
If you are going to game, do it in windows. I play Cod4 find under vista 64bit at 1440x900 with everything on but shadows, spec. map, and soften smoke.

Hah, everything on except those settings that make it look good?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.