Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macchino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Copenhagen
Hi all!

So... Last week i got my new macbook (2,4 Ghz, 4 GB). Unfortunately all the Function keys were slanted, as well as the trackpad. So, I called apple and they imidiately shipped a replacement from china. This one i got yesterday. TNT is not picking the old one up until friday, so now i have them both in my house and i am able to compare them.

The new one doesnt have nearly as slanted a keyboard or trackpad. Its a little bit off, but i can life with it. Unfortunately the display is way worse than on the first (first was 9C8C, new one is 9C89). Another issue - and this is what really worries me - The new one makes a pretty loud noise from the superdrive when it boots up, or awakens from sleep - the old one didn't almost make any sound at all. Why is this? Is this normal?(first one is: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868... new one is: OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5960S)

Do you think apple will replace this second one, or just say "bad luck" - on the first one you got a poorly crafted computer, second time around, you just got the worst of our hardware.

Thanks for your time, any advice will be deeply appriciated.

Parsec

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2007
N53 E004
I think you should call them again. You paid top Euro for your computer, you should receive nothing but perfection in my opinion.

thetinman

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
England
I don't see how they would change it, when there is no actual fault. Mine makes funny noises from the optical drive but as long as it works.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Do you think apple will replace this second one, or just say "bad luck" - on the first one you got a poorly crafted computer, second time around, you just got the worst of our hardware.

Excuse me for being blunt, how would any of us know what Apple will do? Even someone tells you Apple gave him another computer in his case, it doesn't mean that they will gave you one.

Rather than wasting your time here, you should call Apple and find out. Explain to them your concern, and ask nicely if there's anything they can do. If you don't like what they offer, hang up and try another CSR.

Worse case scenario, you keep your first one. Fix the slanted keys yourself, and live with the slightly imperfect trackpad. (Or buy a trackpad cover from moshi to cover the problem)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.