View Full Version : MetaX Problem
Nov 18, 2008, 03:46 PM
Hey guys, so i was tagging a bunch of files yesterday, 23 of them to be exact, so i let metax run for a while, and i went and worked on my car... well when i come back i notice that metax says its done tagging, so i go to look at the files, and the very last one #23 still says metax..... it seems that this certain file got messed up.. well the file that i now have is only 23 kb big instead of the actual video which should be around 900 mbs.. i have no clue were metax puts the files.. i didnt have the put orig in trash, so does metax just delete them from my system? if so it seems i wil have to re-encode the certain video yes?
thanks a bunch
Nov 18, 2008, 05:48 PM
Did you tell MetaX to copy the finished file to iTunes? If so, then the file should be copied to the folder where you told iTunes to house your files.
Nov 18, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking you lost the file. To protect myself when using MetaX, which I have found to be extremely buggy if I don't, is the following (YMMV):
1) Make a duplicate of any of the files *before* I MetaX them.
2) Process no more than ten at a time.
3) Quit and relaunch MetaX before any additional processing.
4) And I found this one to be huge, especially if you have the IMDB browser window open...DO NOT click on any of the results in the left pane until you feel the fetch from the internet is complete. What I do is grab the name and jump over to Safari to look up better artwork (IMPawrds, GetVideoArtwork & MoviePosterDB) in tabs. By the time I find & copy the artwork it seems to be safe to use MetaX.
5) If you do have the IMDB browser window open (I use it to grab the shorter plots) it is extremely touchy if it too is still pulling in data from the internet. The initial search uses a progress bar at the bottom, which you have to wait for it to finish, but subsequent refreshes do not and you have to watch the scrollbar handle size until it is done resizing. I can guarantee make the app crash by trying to do some fast scrolling while this window is still pulling stuff in.
6) When tagging is complete I play each movie skiiping to the end to make sure there isn't any audio sync issues.
7) If all the movies check out I delete the copies.
Nothing is as frustrating as having MetaX crash on you right when you get to the end of finding all your info and are about to write tags. I went from thinking it was a useless app to now following the above advice and it working almost 100% of the time. I also think by relaunching it also prevents the incomplete files like you ran into (memory leak perhaps?). The dev has done a wonderful job on this tool (especially for a free app), just wish he'd squash these last few bugs.