PDA

View Full Version : WD external hard drive recognized by one ibook and not the other

TheSeaduckG4
Nov 18, 2008, 05:08 PM
I am helping a friend with her computer- we both have ibook g4's.
mine is 1.2 ghz power pc 1.25 gb ram and 200gb HD,
hers is 1.07 with 512 MB ram and 30 gb HD.

She just bought a western digital "my passport" 320gb external hard drive and it is not recognized on her computer. She has other usb devices that work fine through the usb ports on her coputer (camera and 2gb usbdrive) but the WD hard drive was not recognized.

then I connected it to my machine and it worked fine, so I reformatted it (Mac OS Extended (journaled)). When we plugged it back into her computer it began to make some clicking noises and then for an instant it came up under devices in her finder window followed by "impropper device removal window". when i closed that window another one exactly the same popped up again, close that one and another exactly the same, etc.

I then plugged my Maxtor into her computer and it came right up. so, it's not the usb port because it works with other devices, its not the drive or the cable because it works on my computer, and i can't figure out what the difference would be to cause this because we have almost identical hardware and OS. please help. Thanks

TDM21
Nov 19, 2008, 09:43 AM
I've had issues where plugging in an external hard drive and USB flash drive at the same time has caused issues. I would go back later, plug the flash drive in and it not be recognized. My solution to fixing the problem was to reset the NVRAM and PRAM. You could try that on your friend's computer.

Reset NVRAM and PRAM:
1. Unplug all USB devices
2. shut down the computer
3. Press the power button and immediately start holding :apple: + Alt + O + F. That will start Open Firmware
4. Enter the following command (without quotes): "reset-nvram" followed by "reset-all"
5. When the computer restart immediately start holding :apple: + Alt + P + R. When the computer restarts release the buttons and allow the system to finish booting up.

Then try plugging the drive in and see if it works. Hope this helps with your problem.