Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whocanitbenow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Hi, I have a MacBook that's nearly two years old. I also have a Mitsubishi projector that I connect to the MacBook via a mini DVI connector. For over a year, when I connected the projector to the MacBook, it mirrored my desktop and displayed at the highest resolution available for my MacBook (1280X800).

Recently, however, when I connect the projector it projects a distorted screen when the displays are set to the highest resolution. If I drop it down to 1024X600, then it is no longer garbled, but of course the projection size isn't as large.

The other *very* strange thing is that when I connect the projector to the computer now, it displayed an *older* version of my desktop (probably about 3 months old), i.e. different wallpaper, different arrangement of folders on the desktop. If I unplug the DVI connector, the MacBook reverts to my current desktop, and if I was using a particular application like Safari for a moment while the projector was connected, I can no longer use Safari unless I reconnect to the projector. Furthermore, even after I disconnect the DVI cable, the projector *still* projects my old desktop wallpaper, except this time without any folders or icons. This is even while it is not connected to any computer source.

Somehow the projector seems to have saved settings onto it that I cannot change or even access. I have restarted both with and without mirroring on, to no effect. I went to the Genius Bar and they didn't know what to do, or even what I was really talking about.

The strange thing is that neither piece of hardware has changed. The only thing I can think of is that somehow I shut the computer or projector off while they were still connected and the projector was receiving input which it stored somehow and will not allow me to change. I don't know a great deal about hardware, so I don't know whether that is even a possibility. Needless to say, it's driving me crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.