Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I have a late '07 2.2 Macbook (3 months warranty left though, whew), and I think my disc drive is dying. Here's what I am experiencing:

1. Difficulty in getting audio CDs to read. I put a disc in, it spins up clicks a bit, and spins down again. It ends up spinning up and down three times before spitting the CD back out. After trying this several times it eventually reads the CD.

2. Burning CDs is flakey. I tried burning a CD-RW, and it works fine. But I've tried burning a few CD-R's of two different brands and both give me some error about not being able to calculate the required laser power level, or sometimes "the attempt to burn a disc failed. The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry". One time it partially burned a CD-R (put four songs on it), then spat it back out and refused to do the rest.

3. It reads DVDs fine first time. WTF?

So I'm thinking it's time to send my Macbook in for repairs. Major pain! I'm in New Zealand, so as far as I can tell, I've got three options: (any kiwis out there that know which is the best way to get it repaired? I still have 3 months warranty)

1) Call up Apple.
2) Let the person who sold it to me handle it. He runs a website http://www.toshcomputers.com, parallel imports Macs from the USA and sells them more cheaply than Apple :p. And because parallel importing is legal in NZ, Apple can't do a thing about it. He says he will even send me shipping labels so it doesn't cost me a cent to send it to him!
3) Go via an authorised NZ reseller called totallymac.com that look like they repair locally without sending it overseas.

Personally I'm hoping whoever does it stuffs the repair up, breaks my Macbook, and I end up getting a new aluminium one :p. But... what's the best option for a good speedy repair?

Thanks

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Have you tried a lens-cleaning CD yet? It may be that the lens is dirty, rather than the entire drive needs replacing.

BTW: I'm originally from NZ, but can't help you with repair agents. Kia ora. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.