PDA

View Full Version : Main BBC channels [BBC1/2] to be broadcast live via web

edesignuk
Nov 19, 2008, 07:19 AM
Viewers in the UK will be offered broadcasts of BBC One and Two live online from 27 November, the BBC said today.

The long-trailed move will see Auntie's top-rated channels join its yoof channel BBC Three, highbrow channel BBC Four, the BBC News channel and children's channels live online. As with iPlayer, video will be offered in the near-ubiquitous Flash format.

Jana Bennett, director of BBC Vision, said: "The launch of BBC One and BBC Two online completes our commitment to make our portfolio of channels available to watch on the internet. From 27 November licence fee payers will be able to watch BBC programmes, live, wherever they are in the UK on their computers, mobile phones and other portable devices."

Note "licence fee payers" in that quote. While catching up with shows on iPlayer does not require a TV licence, watching any live broadcast - including over the internet - does.

Big headaches lurk for enforcement authorities if live online viewing enters the mainstream: will cafes that offer Wi-Fi be required to buy a business TV licence in case their customers watch a bit of BBC One, for example?The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/19/bbc_channels_simulcast/).

:cool:

Sure all the ISPs will be delighted :rolleyes:

Dagless
Nov 19, 2008, 08:31 AM
Ok that's quite fantastic. So long as there's a good 3G signal you'll be able to watch live BBC1 and 2 on the go. DVB phones just went bye-bye.

eluk
Nov 19, 2008, 09:03 AM
So now they'll be trying to screw everyone with a computer and no TV for the licence fee.

Queso
Nov 19, 2008, 09:08 AM
So now they'll be trying to screw everyone with a computer and no TV for the licence fee.
Yep pretty much. Well spotted.

iJohnHenry
Nov 19, 2008, 09:17 AM
And I am sure that this will be country-specific, as per usual lately?? :rolleyes:

edesignuk
Nov 19, 2008, 09:20 AM
And I am sure that this will be country-specific, as per usual lately?? :rolleyes:Why wouldn't it be, do you pay the license fee?

Unspeaked
Nov 19, 2008, 09:24 AM
Why wouldn't it be, do you pay the licence fee?

So what if I send the BBC a check and my IP address?

edesignuk
Nov 19, 2008, 09:25 AM
So what if I send the BBC a check and my IP address?It's obviously not that simple :rolleyes:

garybUK
Nov 19, 2008, 09:30 AM
So what if I send the BBC a check and my IP address?

Besides, we don't know what Checks are (Apart from checking something is correct) Indeed you would need to send the BBC a Cheque :)

Unspeaked
Nov 19, 2008, 10:53 AM
Besides, we don't know what Checks are (Apart from checking something is correct) Indeed you would need to send the BBC a Cheque :)

Alright, I'll send them dollars, then...

;)

The Phazer
Nov 20, 2008, 04:57 PM

The licence fee is payable if you watch any live streaming channel, not just the BBC one.

Given Channel 4 have been streaming their channel live for nearly two years, that needed a licence as much as this service will.

Phazer

nick9191
Nov 20, 2008, 04:59 PM
And I am sure that this will be country-specific, as per usual lately?? :rolleyes:

The BBC have said they will launch a pay per view service for non Brits when they can sort out licensing agreements.

Besides would you find our humour funny?