PDA

View Full Version : Hewlett-Packard Out-Touches Apple

MacBytes
Nov 19, 2008, 07:22 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Hewlett-Packard Out-Touches Apple (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20081119082212)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

sushi
Nov 19, 2008, 07:26 AM
HP beats Apple to the punch.

Not surprised since they already have a desktop version, per se.

I wonder if Apple will introduce anything between the touch and the MB?

plan4
Nov 19, 2008, 07:38 AM
i'm pleased that the article acknowledges a critical shortcoming of touch-screen interfaces: the physical discomfort of using one!

there are definitely times when a touch interface would be beneficial, but most of the time, moving a finger an inch to cause something move eight inches on screen is advantageous.

taken to it's extreme, the computer interface in minority report looked cool, but would be exhausting!

and then there are the smudges...

Mercellus
Nov 19, 2008, 07:57 AM
This report seems a bit biased. Apple didn't come up with the first multi-touch tablet notebook, rather they were the first to implement a multi-touch trackpad made out of glass with intuitive gestures -- if you want to be really picky, the Axiotron Modbook was out before this.

supmango
Nov 19, 2008, 08:37 AM
This report seems a bit biased. Apple didn't come up with the first multi-touch tablet notebook, rather they were the first to implement a multi-touch trackpad made out of glass with intuitive gestures -- if you want to be really picky, the Axiotron Modbook was out before this.

ANYTHING running Windows Vista is worthless in my book, regardless of any features. It it ran Mac OS 10.5, maybe worth looking at.

whooleytoo
Nov 19, 2008, 09:21 AM
i'm pleased that the article acknowledges a critical shortcoming of touch-screen interfaces: the physical discomfort of using one!

there are definitely times when a touch interface would be beneficial, but most of the time, moving a finger an inch to cause something move eight inches on screen is advantageous.

taken to it's extreme, the computer interface in minority report looked cool, but would be exhausting!

and then there are the smudges...

Yup, spot on.

The ideal display is vertical or leaning very slightly backwards.

The ideal touch surface is horizontal, or leaning very slightly towards you such that your hands are in a naturally position and you can rest your arms.

Reconciling these two into one device won't be easy!

robanga
Nov 19, 2008, 09:26 AM
I really like the desktop versions of their TouchSmart, very well integrated.

iOrlando
Nov 19, 2008, 09:44 AM
I, along with steve jobs, do not understand this whole concept of multi-touch screens...its not natural and wont be popular any time soon.

Try this:

Make believe your current screen is a touch screen, and play around with it for a minute or two. I dont know about you, but my arm gets really tired..quickly...and i would say i am pretty fit. Compare that to a multi-touch trackpad...where your arm can rest on a desk/table. It might seem silly..but its kinda a big deal.

Gravity
Nov 19, 2008, 11:59 AM
Touchscreens will thrive for some kinds of devices... like home security and utility systems... but I think there's room for a touch-screen desktop like what HP came up with. I would LOVE to have one of those in my KITCHEN as a digital media center. I'd use it to control music throughout the house, accessing and serving movies to my living room screen, stuff like that. Limited convenience tasks...

The other commenters are absolutely correct about these screens not being practical in home office or work environments... lifting your arms to touch the screen all day would make the user want to throw the thing out the window. And you'd be constantly cleaning it.

But as a home entertainment console? Absolutely Brilliant!

mknawabi
Nov 19, 2008, 12:13 PM
It's too bad HP is using the Turion for their line of tablet notebooks. Core2Duo would have gotten them much higher sales.

Arran
Nov 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
... but most of the time, moving a finger an inch to cause something move eight inches on screen is advantageous.

taken to it's extreme, the computer interface in minority report looked cool, but would be exhausting!...

Yes, it's like discarding a TV's remote control and calling it progress. You have to walk across the room to change channels now!