Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Hey everyone. I hate to revive such an old thread, but I'm having a similar problem as the OP.

I have a MacBook 2.2 GHz (Model MacBook 3,1) from last fall. I got it on December 22nd, 2008.

Until March 15th I was living with my parents and I could get online just fine using a Linksys WRT 54GL router, and my WiFi was fine. Then I moved to an apartment the following day (March 16th) and I started to have problems.

Finally, I had to move out of that apartment due to being jobless, and not being able to pay rent, etc. I moved in with my brother, and he's got an ASUS WL-520GU router. It's across the apartment, and I'm the only one having problems with the WiFi reception. This machine has a Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.38.9) Airport Card in it. My brother has the MacBook 2,1 and he's got an Atheros Airport Card, and he never has fluctuating WiFi as I do.

My friend suggest that it could be faulty drivers. If that's true, where can I get BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.38.9) drivers for Mac OS X? I know for Windows you can find them on many sites. Also I should note that I believe there are lead pipes between here where I use my MacBook the most often, and the router which is down the hall and in my brother's apartment mate's room where the internet is setup.

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.