PDA

View Full Version : ibook BATTERY Died suddenly, could be the power cord? battery expert wanted!

fortgreen1
Feb 12, 2004, 05:10 PM
hello all.
for I BOOK dual USB 800mhz,
I think I either killed my battery or AC power adapter. up till 2 days ago my battery was just fine - usually run for about 2-3 hours. I had the machine for almost a year.

Yesterday I had all these apps open and went to bed by closing the display, which I usually do (so the machine would go to sleep)

I saw the screen turned dark right before I closed it just to make sure but I think this time I switched off the extension cord thing. but It would still have 100% battery to be drained while I sleep for like 4 hours.

next morning, I realized that the battery does not charge and says X on the indicator. Could battery die that quickly? I thought when it happens, you would usually first experience shorter battery life gets shorter and shorter first, etc. my case was too sudden I thought.

When I take out battery and put it back on, the color ring on the power cable turns orange but within 5 min or so it turns back to green and shows the X.

I might have done something to the power adapter as well? but I am thinking I probably completely drained by battery. is there anything I can do to bring that dead one back? like one of those old tricks that we used to play on Ni-Cad batteries for RC cars and etc
?

some one help. my warranty just expired 4 days ago. Last thing I want to do is get new battery and discover that I didn't have to buy one.

does apple store take a look at my problem for free even after the warranty expiration?

I did all the stuff like reset-all in firmware, etc.
I'm looking fore one more trick before I buy new battery.

Thank you for your time.

KershMan
Feb 12, 2004, 05:22 PM
Sorry to tell you this, but you need a new battery. My wifes iBook did the exact same thing and a new battery solved it.

The battery life is only about 300 or so charges, so if you have had it for a year it is quite possible for the battery to fail like that.

Too bad you didn't get in to Apple before the warranty expired. They would have replaced it if it did not hold at least a 30 minute charge.

idkew
Feb 12, 2004, 06:00 PM
i'd bring your ibook, adapter and battery to the nearest apple store, and have the "genius" look at it.

plead your case, be real nice, they may replace if for you. i have had similar things happen.

hanq
Mar 30, 2006, 05:15 AM
try this link (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449#faq6) and this too (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/batteryupdate.html).

GITANAJAVA
Mar 30, 2006, 02:21 PM
Fortgreen1, if the previously provided links don't solve your issues, try this one to a thread about similar battery/power/PMU problems:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=184922

Also, I found the help and information I needed by searching the terms "battery" etc. via MR's advanced search. Hope this helps! :D

512ke
Mar 30, 2006, 02:58 PM
I had a similar experience with my iBook. The battery seemed to die suddenly. However, it turned out that the battery was fine. The charger had died.

Simple test: take out the battery, plug in your iBook and see what happens.

I'll bet your iBook still won't work... and it's the fault of the power cord/charger.