Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

young shiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a 1.25 ghz g4 powerbook along with a macbook. I only use the powerbook to watch movies on my tv and I'm thinking about selling it and getting an MSI wind. I know there are some differences like a lack of a graphics card but my main question is which processor is faster for everyday use (internet, video playback)? Is a 1.6 atom significantly faster than a 1.25ghz G4? thanks!

DarthTreydor

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
the wind would likely be faster for most tasks than the g4. however, if you are planning on installing os x, i personally wouldn't want it to be my only computer. i have a hickinwind and while it is a great machine, there are still some bugs to be worked out. for example the audio ins/outs don't work, only the internal speakers, and in order to get wifi enabled, you have to take apart the wind in order to install a new wifi card thats recognized by os x.

like i said, its a great machine, but i wouldn't want to rely on a hackintosh as my main computer. much less a subnotebook hackintosh.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The new ASUS N10Jc has:

- NVIDIA® GeForce® 9300M GS with 256MB VRAM
- ExpressCard

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
the wind would likely be faster for most tasks than the g4. however, if you are planning on installing os x, i personally wouldn't want it to be my only computer. i have a hickinwind and while it is a great machine, there are still some bugs to be worked out. for example the audio ins/outs don't work, only the internal speakers, and in order to get wifi enabled, you have to take apart the wind in order to install a new wifi card thats recognized by os x.

like i said, its a great machine, but i wouldn't want to rely on a hackintosh as my main computer. much less a subnotebook hackintosh.

Thanks for the info, I was considering picking one up to play around with and supplement my main Mac. Besides the little issues you mentioned, how is the general usage? Does it really feel as fast or faster than a ~1.25 GHz PowerBook? It has Intel GMA 950 graphics, which is not impressive on a $1000 MacBook but seems great for a $300 netbook.

If so, I'm sold. You can get them on EBay right now for really cheap with the Live.com discount and a $50 rebate. With CA sales tax and shipping included, I'm looking at around $260. It's only the 3-cell, but again it's only $260. That would be awesome for a usable OS X netbook.

I know better netbooks are coming, but they cost a lot more and wouldn't be worth the price to me.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, I got a Wind and have installed 10.5.5 on it. The Wind is really easy to get Leopard up and running, I did need to mess around about 5 minutes to get Ethernet working but it's perfect now. I also need to replace the wifi card ($20 part).

This is a really cool little unit. The screen is small and the keyboard is small too, but for my price of $260 (after $50 rebate) it runs Leopard and basic apps very, very well. Expose and other desktop effects work just fine with the Intel 950 graphics.

It's unfortunately they swapped out the Synaptics touchpad for a cheaper version, as I believe you could enable two-finger scrolling on the Synpatics pad.

I can't imagine using the original EEE PC, which had a 9" screen and even smaller keyboard. This one is pretty usable, not definitely not as your only computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.