Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Nope, only $150 USD (and CDN for that matter). Apple's finally listened to its customers and is offering reasonably priced RAM upgrades. Though I've heard they're selling the DDR3 RAM by itself for $300. It's not available in their online store, but I was asking the Apple Store staff and that's the price they quoted me.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I can confirm that apple ram bought on it's own not at the time of a macbook costs $300. I know this because when I bought my macbook they were sold out of the RAM and they manager said I could get it 2 days later at the original upgrade price because I bought the computer and wanted to upgrade at the time of purchase. Needless to say, it took a good 1/2 hour of convincing the 2 days later to drop the price from $300 to $150 for my RAM. But 4gb is awesome!

gotzaiPhone

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
I ended up ordering my mac with the 4GB upgrade because of the 150 dollar price and that an employee at my local apple store said that apple will not service a mac under warranty with ram that was not installed at the factory and that if I did not order the 4GB of ram at the start, I'd have to pull it every time I needed service.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
I ended up ordering my mac with the 4GB upgrade because of the 150 dollar price and that an employee at my local apple store said that apple will not service a mac under warranty with ram that was not installed at the factory and that if I did not order the 4GB of ram at the start, I'd have to pull it every time I needed service.

That is not correct.

I've ordered third-party RAM for numerous Apple computers and when I've spoken with Apple about it (both on the phone & in person at the Genius Bar), I've been told that they WILL service those computers, but if the RAM is felt to be the culprit, they will not do anything to repair it. However, if the repair is unrelated to the RAM, it's perfectly fine.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Well the crucial ram was 141.99 last month when I checked so hopefully they can get it down to 120 by december.

Other places to consider that guarantee Mac compatability & have lifetime warranties are:

http://www.datamem.com ($129 for 4GB)

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/_a...ok_Intel_Core_2_Duo_13_2.4GHz_Memory_1519.asp

and

http://www.macsales.com (OWC computing, $116 for 4GB)

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...0&type=Memory&TI=4021&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

I've ordered from DataMem several times and have been very happy with their service. I even sent back a RAM chip 1-2 years later when it died, and got a replacement without any hassle.

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas

Never heard of Mushkin ram. Are you using this particular brand?

Other places to consider that guarantee Mac compatability & have lifetime warranties are:

http://www.datamem.com ($129 for 4GB)

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/_a...ok_Intel_Core_2_Duo_13_2.4GHz_Memory_1519.asp

and

http://www.macsales.com (OWC computing, $116 for 4GB)

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...0&type=Memory&TI=4021&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

I've ordered from DataMem several times and have been very happy with their service. I even sent back a RAM chip 1-2 years later when it died, and got a replacement without any hassle.

Thank you for all those links. That OWC ram is really tempting at that price, but it seems that some people are having problems with that ram in the Alu MBP.

Anyone have that OWC ram in their MB?

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin

I've used Mushkin since the mid 90s. I'm surprised you've never heard of them. They are known for high quality, lifetime warrantied ram. They make a few performance series modules for desktops too. Low latency and whatnot. My fiancee's iMac has Mushkin DDR2 in it and my best friends MBP has Mushkin DDR2 in it. (I have Crucial in mine as it was cheaper at the time I bought).

gotzaiPhone

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
That is not correct.

I've ordered third-party RAM for numerous Apple computers and when I've spoken with Apple about it (both on the phone & in person at the Genius Bar), I've been told that they WILL service those computers, but if the RAM is felt to be the culprit, they will not do anything to repair it. However, if the repair is unrelated to the RAM, it's perfectly fine.

Oh well, either way 20 bucks more didn't kill me and I didn't have to do it myself.

subq

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008

Thank you for all those links. That OWC ram is really tempting at that price, but it seems that some people are having problems with that ram in the Alu MBP.

Anyone have that OWC ram in their MB?

upraded mine to 4gb with owc ram earlier this week and it is running just fine

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
i upgraded to apple ram for $300 with $150 buyback for the 2gb according to the manager of the apple store at Stonestown San Francisco. He gave me $20 off the price for student discount.

This was all done a week after I purchased the laptop.

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
Before buying a RAM upgrade, I'd suggest looking over this thread about problems with added RAM:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/595517/

Some buyers (like me) have had bad experiences:mad:

It seems like it comes down to having a little bit of luck when you order your RAM. Some people have no problems with their RAM and some people are on their third set already. I really don't want to pay that premium price for Apple RAM. :confused:

gotzaiPhone

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
It seems like it comes down to having a little bit of luck when you order your RAM. Some people have no problems with their RAM and some people are on their third set already. I really don't want to pay that premium price for Apple RAM. :confused:

But you're really not. Mine was only 19 bucks more than a 3rd party deal and it works great!

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
You only pay 150 to upgrade from 2 - 4 gb. I guess I'm missing something.

You are missing something. :) When you upgrade through Apple, they keep your stock 2GB (2 x 1GB) RAM cards. So, factor in Apple's price of the two stock RAM cards, add it to the $150 that Apple is charging, and then you'll have the real price. Furthermore, some people like to sell their stock RAM on eBay to help further lower the amount of money they'll have to spend to increase RAM. You can't do that if you buy RAM from Apple, because Apple keeps your stock RAM cards.

Apple is still ripping off it's customers when it comes to RAM.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
But you're really not. Mine was only 19 bucks more than a 3rd party deal and it works great!

Not to mention installed professionally by Apple themselves and therefore is under warranty by them. Yes I had to trade my 2x1GB sticks too, but for me that and the $20 were easily justifiable by those two points I mentioned.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You are missing something. :) When you upgrade through Apple, they keep your stock 2GB (2 x 1GB) RAM cards. So, factor in Apple's price of the two stock RAM cards, add it to the $150 that Apple is charging, and then you'll have the real price. Furthermore, some people like to sell their stock RAM on eBay to help further lower the amount of money they'll have to spend to increase RAM. You can't do that if you buy RAM from Apple, because Apple keeps your stock RAM cards.

Apple is still ripping off it's customers when it comes to RAM.

That's if you upgrade afterwards. If you upgrade your system as a BTO one, that really doesn't apply. And somebody has stated in another thread that selling DDR3 (or any used RAM) on eBay isn't very lucrative. Do a quick search on DDR3 RAM on eBay. You'll see they're either sitting at 0 bids, or are available through "Buy Now" only. And I bet they won't be going anytime soon. Meh, to each their own.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
That's if you upgrade afterwards. If you upgrade your system as a BTO one, that really doesn't apply. And somebody has stated in another thread that selling DDR3 (or any used RAM) on eBay isn't very lucrative. Do a quick search on DDR3 RAM on eBay. You'll see they're either sitting at 0 bids, or are available through "Buy Now" only. And I bet they won't be going anytime soon. Meh, to each their own.

No, if you upgrade after the fact, you keep the ram you already paid for. If you upgrade as a "BTO" option, you pay $150 for 2 more GB of RAM on top of whatever Apple determined the packaged RAM to cost in the system's price.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
No, if you upgrade after the fact, you keep the ram you already paid for. If you upgrade as a "BTO" option, you pay $150 for 2 more GB of RAM on top of whatever Apple determined the packaged RAM to cost in the system's price.

You're quite right, I guess I didn't look at it that way. Though to me it was a bit of a hassle to try and sell those stock sticks of RAM myself. And knowing me I probably would have ended up keeping the RAM just in case it needed to go in for repair, so the entire cost would have roughly been the same (minus $20-$30) had I upgraded myself.

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
I really wish I had ordered my MBP with 4GB of RAM. The two 1GB sticks aren't worth the silicon they're made of on eBay, so my plans to sell them aren't likely to work out. Now any RAM failures that occur are mine to handle (mailing the old RAM back, waiting, etc.) instead of the local Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.