Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Hi all,

I just installed Vista Ultimate using Bootcamp. but ive run into a problem.

Basically, the OS seems to work fine except that my Mac brightness/volume/etc. buttons dont work, nor does two-finger scrolling on the trackpad.

Also, my Vista Performance score is at 1.0 because it isn't recognizing my video card.

I tried doing the Apple Software update. I installed Bootcamp using 2.0, and it said it wanted to update to 2.1. So it DL'd the 240 mb file, but then said it had an error in installing it. Any way around this? I tried a few times.

do i just DL the vid driver from Nvidia's website? I saw on the Bootcamp window that it seemed to install ATI drivers, but not nvidia.

thanks!!

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
There is an option under tools (I believe it's tools) where it will let you view the downloaded packages where they were downloaded to. Once you open the folder they're in, it's going to say something to the effect of "this installation requires a pending reboot". Reboot, go back into software update and use the same option to view the package where it has been downloaded, and run it.

Should install the drivers without a problem. Your score still may read 1.0 after, if that is the case I'll tell you how to fix that.

Good luck!

thenewguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Well, after fully updating vista and trying to manually install the nvidia drivers (which sort of worked, though I had to use 8600 GT drivers, not 8600m gt), I then ran the apple updater in vista on a whim, and it worked. Now the buttons and the scrolling and all that works. yay!

But yes, my performance score does still say 1.0 on the 2 middle graphics things. It seems to be in Aero though. I'd love to hear that fix you have.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Well, after fully updating vista and trying to manually install the nvidia drivers (which sort of worked, though I had to use 8600 GT drivers, not 8600m gt), I then ran the apple updater in vista on a whim, and it worked. Now the buttons and the scrolling and all that works. yay!

But yes, my performance score does still say 1.0 on the 2 middle graphics things. It seems to be in Aero though. I'd love to hear that fix you have.

So can you use two finger scrolling with Vista and XP?

What mac do you have?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California

First off, the drivers Apple provides are utter crap (unfortunately). For example, the keyboard backlight never completely goes off sometimes. For a while, I was having the same weird problem with the Windows Index saying Aero and gaming were at 1.0, when both Aero and gaming worked fine. I had no fps issues, so I think it was just a glitch. I later re-ran the test and it now shows it correctly (5.6 or something like that). So yeah, don't worry about it if things work fine but it still says 1.0.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007

Did you re-run the Windows Experience Index?

yatman

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2005
drivers

I'd recommend going to Realtek.com and get the latest HD audio drivers and nvidia to get the latest video drivers. There's a trick to get the nvidia drivers to install though. You need to go to mobilitymodder.net and install their application. This app modifies the Nvidia ini files to allow for installation. Apparently both ATI and nVidia block installation on laptops of certain brands (licensing??) so you have to hack the ini to get the nVidia drivers to install.

I have the new unibody macbook and the only problems I have are the trackpad not responding well and I have some cracking sounds from the speakers occassionally when playing audio. I've heard there's some link to the wlan drivers but I can't figure out who makes the chipset to get the right driver set. Does anyone know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.