Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Okay I guess I am looking for a quicken like app program for my iphone. I'm currently using quickbank. Its great for keeping track of a bank account, however I would like to have an integrated budgetting program that tracks, for example, how much I have spent for gas of an allowable amount of 125/month, with each gasoline related purchase? The quickbank has a budgetting and gives you a report, but does not do it monthly nor does it tell you how much you have left for the month of the budgetted amount.

I've downloaded spend, don't like it, as well ixpenseit, and bought accountr. I did not like all of them since they don't do well one or the other. Am I missing something here? Give me a recommendation that acts like a quicken program with budgetting reports that actually does it correctly.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
No one its like? Does it do the things I am looking for? Is this for the iphone or desktop? I'm looking for an iphone app.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
I've tried quite a few finance apps too, and Ledger is hands down the best app available in my opinion. It does not have reporting yet, but it is under development (as is budgeting). Ledger uses the double entry method of accounting, so it uses expense and revenue accounts rather than categories. It might seem complicated at first glance, but it is truly great. It doesn't act like Quicken (at least not yet), but as a fan, I thought I'd throw it out there.

The website is Ledgerapp.com

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
ok I tried out accountr and I think I have what I am looking for. The interface is a little confusing in the beginning but it can track your balance as well as your budget.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Accountr's not bad, it doesn't have graphs yet though, and graphs help me see where my money's coming from and where it's going. Budget was alright as well but lacked a balance, finally spent the money for Splashmoney, and it's been the best of a few finance ptogeams I've tried. You've got to read the user guide on SplashData's site to understand how things like transfers work.

Quix

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
QuickBank and MoneyWell work well

Have you tried the QuickBank app for the ipod/iphone and the MoneyWell app for the desktop? As long as you setup the account names exactly the same in both and setup the buckets/categories, then the data is easy to export directly from your ipod/iphone and into MoneyWell. I guess even MoneyWell is developing a MoneyWell Mobile but until they do, this is an excellent solution.

Quicken couldnt open my banks file and was very unforgiving in deleting things if you make a mistake. Ixpenseit data format was all wrong and needed piles of manipulation. SplashMoney was expensive downloaded the banks data then crashed and became unstable.

MoneyWell has been solid at opening Canadian banks file and running smoothly. Its so easy to use and you can move things around with ease. The fact that QuickBank allows data entry on the go, with a complete MoneyWell Mobile in development, is by far a good solution for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.