PDA

View Full Version : Mac Ibook G4 With Problems Re-Installing Operating System. Please Help!

LinaresArthur
Nov 19, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Everyone Im A PC Technician So I Don't Know Really Much About Mac's. In Hand I Downloaded OS X Tiger 10.4 And Panther From Torrents Downloads. Also I Was Able To Get A Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard DVD Restore Disc Original That Came With A MacBook Pro That Came Out Like A Month Or So.

So I Got The Computer From A Customer To Fix. I Oppened It And Pulled The Hardrive Out And Found Out That It Had Mechanical Problems So What I Did Was To Purchase A Replacement HDD From NewEgg (Model Western Digital 80GB ATA HDD). I Installed The New One And Put Everything Back Together And I Burn The Mac OS'X Images On DVD Which Was Tiger 10.4. Then On The First Tries I Put The Dvd In The Drive But Nothing Will Come Up Exept A Mac Logo With A Thing Under The Logo Wich Appeared To Look Like It Was Loading. Somehow I Got Frustuated And Let The Mac On Over Night And With The Mac Logo Which Looked Frozen. The Next Morning I Saw The Mac And Found Out I Was Displaying The Mac Wizard Intallation Setup. So What I Did Was Partioned The New HDD With Mac Type On Drive Wizard And Then Went Through The Entire Setup. It Completed And Restarted But I Was Able Create Login Id And Such. Then I Was On The Desktop But Suddendly It Frooze. Then What I Did Was To Restart It But I Wont Boot Up Anymore. So Now Everytime I Turn it On A Black Display Comes Up And Some White Greyish Stuff Appears In My Screan Slowly And Turns Gray Then It Goes Away Slowly Returning To Its Original State Being A Black Screen.

Any Suggestons Of What Can I Do To This Mac. Some People Mention To Me Jumper Settings. Others Say its Because I Do Not Have Original Restore CD's But I Tried The Original Mac Installation Disc That Is Mac OSX Leopard. Now Any Cd I Put While Pressing "C" Key I Can Hear The Drive Spinning Trying To Read Something For Like 5 Secs And Sadly It Stops.

Anyone Can Help.

old-wiz
Nov 19, 2008, 05:51 PM
The forum cannot help you with illegal software. If you want to download such things it's up to you to deal with it. Forums won't allow assistance for it.

Sorkvild
Nov 19, 2008, 05:57 PM
That and capitalizing every frakkin' word is more of a put off.

silverblack
Nov 19, 2008, 06:20 PM
The restore DVD/CD will only work in the specific model it was intended to. Since the owner no longer have his, he can go buy a legal retail copy of Leopard DVD. It will be bootable. Then use Disk Utility to format the new drive to Mac OS Extented (Journaled).

DesignerOnMac
Nov 19, 2008, 06:26 PM
Your friend should have given you the original disks that came with the laptop.

I agree with everyone here, we do not condone pirated software.

California
Nov 20, 2008, 03:09 AM
If it is a 1.33ghz or 1.42ghz last revision iBook I have an extra set of the restore dvds you can buy from me.

So weird hearing from PC techs, btw. It is like hearing from a different planet. But it sounds like that iBook G4 has the classic video problem.

If you are really a great Tech, you should get out your soldering gun and be able to fix it from the directions on xlr8yourmac.

I say that last sentence with reservations because I have YET to find a REAL computer tech, Apple or otherwise, who is savvy enough to perform the soldering skills needed on those iBooks. I am just a girl who has never soldered in her life and I am brave enough to try it.