PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] Step-by-Step Guide to Restore iPhone.

sagarrana55
Nov 19, 2008, 06:49 PM
One of the most commonly asked questions by iPhone users who want to jailbreak their iPhone is: "Is possible to recover if things go horribly wrong while trying to hack their iPhone?"
The answer is yes.

Before we start, please note that the step-by-step guide involves restoring your iPhone so you should know that this would mean that all your personal data from your iPhone, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, calendar information, and any other data will be wiped out and your iPhone's settings will be restored to their factory settings. However, you always have the option to recover your personal data from the backup.

Here is the step-by-step guide to revirginize or restore your jailbroken iPhone:

* Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes. If things had gone horribly wrong while hacking your iPhone and iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.
o You can follow these steps to put your iPhone in DFU mode (this is required only if iTunes does not recognize your iPhone):
+ Connect your iPhone to your computer.
+ Turn iPhone off.
+ Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
+ Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
+ A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
* In the Summary Tab, click on the Restore button.
http://i34.tinypic.com/3128lkw.jpg

* iTunes should prompt you if you would wish to take a backup of your iPhone before restoring. Select Backup.
http://i37.tinypic.com/2iuxaj5.jpg

* After the backup is taken select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you.
http://i34.tinypic.com/2ly4l09.jpg

* Once the restore process has completed your iPhone will restart and the Apple logo will appear while booting up.
* After the restore is complete and your iPhone restarts you will see the “Connect to Activate” screen. You must continue to keep your iPhone connected to complete activation.
http://i34.tinypic.com/10nzw3l.jpg

* The last step is to set up your iPhone either from a backup or set up as a "new iPhone". If you are planning to take the iPhone to the Apple Store, its advisable to setup your iPhone as a "new iPhone" else you can select the date of your backup that you want to restore to. You can always follow the above procedure to restore from a backup at a later date.
http://i35.tinypic.com/j8388x.jpg

i hope admins of this website put this thread in sticky forum..

andy317
Nov 20, 2008, 05:38 PM
I'll be the first to say "Thanks for the guide".

I have not yet tried to jailbreak my iPhone 3g but after looking around and seeing this guide I may well go ahead and do it if it is impossible to "brick" it.

Thanks again for the info.

Andy

serdaryilmaztr
Nov 21, 2008, 02:22 AM
Good guide. Thank you

dukebound85
Nov 22, 2008, 06:38 PM
so without a doubt, impossible to brick?

i could have sworn i heard bricking stories with jailbreaking, although that was when it first came to be a year or so ago. has that been resolved now i hope?

gadstylee
Nov 25, 2008, 09:41 AM
Did you missed the restoration part?
Where are my files now!?:eek:
I must say its Good still.

Vitalogy
Dec 11, 2008, 10:34 PM
Hey, when i click on restore the prompt for back-up doesnt come up. it only ask if im sure if i want to restore it back to its factory settings?

any help would be great.

Thx

applequicktips
Dec 20, 2008, 09:47 PM
This is a great, simple guide.

Lommedalen
Jan 7, 2009, 05:33 PM
Hi, After reading your guide I wondered if you could help me. After downloading 2.2 version software from Apple and running Pwnagetool 2.2 on my iPhone 1G I can not get iTunes 8.0.2 to recognize the phone in DFU mode. I just get a message that there is an unidentified error or that I have a non valid SIM card. Strangely enough I can make and receive calls on the phone but everything else is locked with the connect to iTunes start up screen.

Help

iHarsh
Jan 29, 2009, 11:20 AM
a pretty nice thread but dude DFU stands for Device Failsafe Utility and not Device Firmware Upgrade.....only so you know!!!

SFStateStudent
Jan 29, 2009, 11:38 AM
+1 ^^^ on DFU acronym, maybe we can just stick to DFU since there's several different definitions online, but nothing from the Apple.com website. Beyond that, awesome "sticky!":cool:

Snide
Feb 1, 2009, 04:33 PM
a pretty nice thread but dude DFU stands for Device Failsafe Utility and not Device Firmware Upgrade.....only so you know!!!

I've been Jailbreaking since firmware version 1.02, and I seriously thought it stood for:

Don't F*#k Up. :cool:

Clete2
Feb 1, 2009, 10:17 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE EASY GUIDE!

My first jailbreak attempt ended with my phone being stuck on the Apple logo! Yikes! Turns out that I left iTunes running. Oops.

Restoring now :D.

kemo
Feb 7, 2009, 04:11 PM
great guide, thank you for the post!

Archaon
Feb 13, 2009, 10:14 AM
So even if I jailbreak the phone successfully, at a later stage I can just restore the phone? Would this also mean that a complete restore would make the phone network locked again?

Thanks

Chronimac
Feb 26, 2009, 12:42 AM
is this process good enough to bring it into an apple store? i've heard of things that get left over from a jailbreak even after a restore. if this is true, what are some things that will sometimes remain, so i can check?

chr1s60
Mar 7, 2009, 07:57 PM
Thank you, this post was a life saver!!! I attempted to jailbreak my iPhone 3G with QuickPwn and got stuck in a continuous loop of restarts that didn't work. This post got me back to normal. I will attempt to jailbreak later now that I know I have this option. Thanks again.

Glert
Mar 20, 2009, 08:16 AM
I followed this guide and the process seemed to go smooth but something is odd. One of the things I installed when I JB was the numeric battery meter and after the full restore, its still there! I even tried the restore again but I can't get that to go away. Does this mean the restore didn't work? None of the other icons (Cydia, Installer, Boss Prefs) are there anymore. Thanks for any help.

wannabelean
Mar 22, 2009, 09:55 PM
how do you replace the new boot logos(the jailbroken ones) with the apple ones? or are they restored automatically when a restore/factory state is invoked? Im using a Iphone 3G with 2.2.1.

Thanks

worntilltorn
Mar 23, 2009, 12:28 AM
great guide..now i have the confidence to JB..

However, will we need to unlock the phone again after this recovery happens?

yomnym
May 15, 2009, 02:02 PM
I would have to have the latest software 2.2.1 installed or purchased on Itunes so the phone could restore it the latest one? The activation process, im using tmobile.. would this simply mean just putting in my SIM card with its adapter and register? Thank you

martinmartin
Jun 16, 2009, 10:54 AM
I followed this guide and the process seemed to go smooth but something is odd. One of the things I installed when I JB was the numeric battery meter and after the full restore, its still there! I even tried the restore again but I can't get that to go away. Does this mean the restore didn't work? None of the other icons (Cydia, Installer, Boss Prefs) are there anymore. Thanks for any help.

Same thing happened to me. Even after I restored, it still has a percentage where the battery icon usually is.

Anyone know how to get the battery back to normal?

thisguy23
Jul 12, 2009, 10:02 AM
Good post, I sent it to my wife for some help to keep on file when we can't talk. I'm in the Navy and on deployment and I will have some time to tether and dl OS 3.0 soon and my question is do I need internet through iTunes to activate my phone after install of OS or when it connects to the cell tower will it activate? I won't have internet on my mbp bc its only tehtered through my phone due to being on a ship. The soonest I will be able to get internet is a while after that. Any body have an answer or a way around that with hacktivating? Thanks for your help. I've been out for 5 months and havent been able to get the update and I want it bad!

goodwin
Aug 3, 2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the guide, Im new to jailbreak'ing.
I had everything working with Cydia, but after a short while the Cydia app wouldnt load fully, I re-JB my phone but still the same problem. It just kept kicking me out after a few seconds of loading.

So, I then followed this guide and made a backup of my iphone, restored it to factory and then activated.
When I came to restore I wasnt able to select a date as in the guide, I have made a backup earlier today and again a few days back. I could only restore to the one point before I reset the phone, will this still make it look like a clean install without being previously JB?

I need to restore to get my contacts back, so not able to keep it at a clean install.

jackkorner
Aug 12, 2009, 04:25 AM
Thanks sagarrana55 for starting this thread.The instructions are really good and thanks for inserting those images also.

jrm27
Sep 11, 2009, 11:39 AM
Great thread. I did a jailbreak a few months ago, and now realize that i don't use any of the jailbroken features. So, I'm just going to put it at stock. With thi sprocess, will it restore all my contacts that I've input since the jailbreak, or are those going to be lost?

jmann
Sep 11, 2009, 11:44 AM
Great thread. I did a jailbreak a few months ago, and now realize that i don't use any of the jailbroken features. So, I'm just going to put it at stock. With thi sprocess, will it restore all my contacts that I've input since the jailbreak, or are those going to be lost?

If you restore from a backup yes. But it will leave some traces of the jailbreak behind like battery percentage (if you enabled it), also things like modded carrier name, etc. If you have your contacts in you Address Book on your Mac or Outlook on your computer, you can just restore it, and set it up as a new phone, and then just resync the contacts.

Cinemagic
Sep 12, 2009, 07:21 PM
Unfortunately, 3.1 with iTunes 9 on a 3GS will not restore to a previous version - yet.

lonnielove
Sep 21, 2009, 10:20 PM
can you restore even if you unlock it with purplesnow? and then start over again with the jailbreak and unlock on 3.0:confused:

jmann
Sep 21, 2009, 10:22 PM
can you restore even if you unlock it with purplesnow? and then start over again with the jailbreak and unlock on 3.0:confused:

You can restore it no matter what. Then unlock/jailbreak it how you please. :)

lonnielove
Sep 21, 2009, 10:25 PM

even with a 3gs, forgot to say that.

123walter
Sep 23, 2009, 12:14 PM
I tried to JB my iphone several times. I upgraded to 3.1 and didnt care for it. SO I ran pwnage...it went well. DFU went OK. At least thats what the computer said. But then when you are supposed to choose an ipsw file...I only get a choice to restore to an old backup. So...Thats what I did. I thought it was OK. Phone worked, altho not JBed. All my music was there, etc. But then when I went to do a text message..I had no old conversations, so I went to contacts..thats gone too! What happened?

jmann
Sep 24, 2009, 02:02 AM
I tried to JB my iphone several times. I upgraded to 3.1 and didnt care for it. SO I ran pwnage...it went well. DFU went OK. At least thats what the computer said. But then when you are supposed to choose an ipsw file...I only get a choice to restore to an old backup. So...Thats what I did. I thought it was OK. Phone worked, altho not JBed. All my music was there, etc. But then when I went to do a text message..I had no old conversations, so I went to contacts..thats gone too! What happened?

Did you set it up as a new phone? Do you have these things backed up on your computer?

vitog123
Sep 27, 2009, 12:50 AM
how can i save a back up file of my iphone to disk?
im running on a shaky pc and id like to have my most recent iphone back up backed up on a seperate cd or usb drive.

cusco
Sep 28, 2009, 10:32 PM
i have the 3Gs on 3.0 FW. i did a JB using redsnow and then unlock using ultrasnow. but after that ultrasnow, i can't use my TMobile sim card.

also, i was told that my iphone wasn't hashed, i don't even know what the heck that means.

but when i tried using this restore process, it doesn't even let me backup first, and also it tries to connect to itune store; which i'm afraid it will upgrade to 3.1 FW. :(

what to do? plz help!!!

Cbodders
Oct 14, 2009, 01:22 PM
So this will definitely work for a jailbroken 3GS on 3.0.1? Has anyone actually tried? I quite want to get 3.1 but am frightened of getting a bricked iPhone.

123walter
Oct 18, 2009, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=sagarrana55;6634496]One of the most commonly asked questions by iPhone users who want to jailbreak their iPhone is: "Is possible to recover if things go horribly wrong while trying to hack their iPhone?"
The answer is yes.

Looks good but why did you feel it neccesary to do the Power--button thing? Why cant you just choose "restore" and go from there? Thats what I did. But I must admit that the sesitivity of my screen is not as good. Also all of my backups are in 3.1 firmware. If I download a pror firmware is there a way to use that. I have tried but it wont accept it. How could one restore 3.0?

Makaveli6103
Nov 1, 2009, 09:36 AM
So I am trying to restore my iPhone because I am trying to exchange it today (cracked screen). But after restoring instead of saying AT&T next to the signal strength it says my customized word that I used when it was jailbroken. Im confused....

Networkrail
Nov 18, 2009, 02:59 PM
my iPhone 3G is on the latest firmware but I want to restore it to factory settings, for some reason it won't allow me to do so it says restore and update, how can I gewt it to total restore without updating?

NWR

123walter
Nov 20, 2009, 07:19 AM
I have a 3g, my son has a 3gs. I usually experiment with mine first then I pass on the intel to my son. Heres the deal. My son doesnt have internet conn at his home.I successfully set him up for tethering using the old method(3.0) Now he wants to get 3.1 so he can send pix with messaging.(He CAN live without it) BUT I see that there is a way...patch the CommCenter of your 3.1.2 iPhone 3G, 3GS to enable Internet tethering.
But I have heard that if ya JB a 3gs..there is no turning back? is this true? Also if I screw up setting up this commcenter/fugu thing...how dangerous is it. They said..Not for newbies(Im not, but anyone can make a mistake) How risky is it? Should he just stay with 3.0?He wont really use anything else on Cydia etc...except he wants to stay updated but still tether.
Pros Cons?

123walter
Nov 20, 2009, 07:21 AM
I unerstand that 3gs has some special RESTORE issues? IS this true?

big-ray-t
Nov 23, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hi all. I hope you may be able to help. Today I tried to upgrade to v3.2.1 on iTunes however half way through restore/update process, iTunes flagged an error and said the update could not be completed. Since this time, my iPhone 3GS has been completely dead.

I was on v3.0.1 and JB. I have tried going into DFU mode but nothing happens, the screen stays black and iTunes does not see the phone. I have even tried uninstalling all apple and iTunes from my laptop and reinstalling, but still nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong and how to remedy it.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Ray

paul.b.davis
Dec 8, 2009, 07:18 PM
Just to let anyone reading this thread know, I just restored my 3GS with 3.1.2 jailbroken with pwngtool with no problems.

cscturulo
Dec 10, 2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the Guide! And all the screen shots too!

kayno
Feb 4, 2010, 08:56 AM
So heres the problem I have.. I currently have a Jailbroken 3GS running 3.1.2 I would like to restore back to 3.1.2 but since the release of 3.1.3 it keeps trying to restore to the new firmware.. Now I have dowloaded the 3.1.2 ipsw file and tried to manually install it, but itunes verifies with the apple servers then gives me a message saying its not gonna happpen cause my device is inelegible for the restore. I even put my phone in DFU mode and tried and got the same message.. Any ideas?

biecacka
Feb 9, 2010, 03:05 PM
hi all! :cool:
here is my issue, i have a 2g and a 3g iphone. the 2g is unlocked and jailbroken, 3g not. i can sync the 3g with itunes but when i try to on the 2g it says error not recongnized usb port. it wont even pull it up in itunes so i cant restore. like i said i have no issues with the 3g. can someone please help me?
thanks

:confused:

premnathj
Feb 10, 2010, 09:38 PM
So heres the problem I have.. I currently have a Jailbroken 3GS running 3.1.2 I would like to restore back to 3.1.2 but since the release of 3.1.3 it keeps trying to restore to the new firmware.. Now I have dowloaded the 3.1.2 ipsw file and tried to manually install it, but itunes verifies with the apple servers then gives me a message saying its not gonna happpen cause my device is inelegible for the restore. I even put my phone in DFU mode and tried and got the same message.. Any ideas?

Hi,

I am also having the same issue. Please help me incase you have resolved the same.

Thanks

biecacka
Feb 13, 2010, 06:51 PM
bump

jaywoo
Feb 19, 2010, 12:22 PM
Worked like a champ! Thanks!!

kayno
Feb 19, 2010, 12:42 PM
Hi,

I am also having the same issue. Please help me incase you have resolved the same.

Thanks

I haven't solved it but I have found a solution. Google "sh sh" it's some code or number u need to have saved to be able to restore to older firmware going forward. I hope this helps

Natesac
Feb 24, 2010, 12:15 AM

I am in the same boat. I am running 3.1.2 Jailbroken and would like to do a restore and re-jailbreak. I DID save my shsh thingy on cydia. I am on a PC and would like to do a restore and rejailbreak my phone. The battery seems to drain really fast. I think the phone needs a restore. i dowload and delete JB stuff all the time and I think it needs a cleanup.

RedCloud75013
Mar 5, 2010, 07:15 PM
I am in the same boat. I am running 3.1.2 Jailbroken and would like to do a restore and re-jailbreak. I DID save my shsh thingy on cydia. I am on a PC and would like to do a restore and rejailbreak my phone. The battery seems to drain really fast. I think the phone needs a restore. i dowload and delete JB stuff all the time and I think it needs a cleanup.

same issue. any advice??

Makaveli6103
Apr 4, 2010, 02:16 PM
same issue. any advice??

If you have your SHSH on file on Cydia here is a link on how to restore back to 3.1.2. http://www.saurik.com/id/12 Scroll down to Bypassing the Overlord on how to allow iTunes restore back to 3.1.2.

caponesj
Apr 5, 2010, 10:28 PM
I have had this phone jailbroken for 2 months, all of a sudden the battery drains really fast (within 3 hours)

I have been told restoring is my only option to fix this issue but I dont want to go to 3.1.3

In Cydia it states This Device has SHSH for 3.1.3

How do I get out of this mess???????

Makaveli6103
Apr 7, 2010, 06:05 PM
My home button is broken. How else can I put it in DFU Mode?

AdeelChandio
Apr 24, 2010, 09:21 AM
Hello guyz..I bought Iphone 3gs 3.1.3 from o2 UK and I want to use that in ireland and i tried to jail break from snowbreeze app and after jail breaking the phone it said that restore ur phone than I restored my phone but its not getting on it says that put the sim which u got from the authorised provider and its not even working on 02 ireland..can u please guide me now wht to do??…my iphone is not even switching on …when ever i switch on my phone its says dialogue which i mentioned before…
it will be great full to you if any1 could give me any tip on this problemmm….

Kind Regard
Adeel M Chandio

manishangane
Apr 28, 2010, 07:10 AM
hi gurus,
I have purchase an iphone 3gs 16 gb factory unlock piece. i have two questions for the same.

1. Can i jailbreak my iphone 3gs factory unlock.
here are my detials.
firmware version : -3.1.3(7E18)
serial number 88o14GBB3NQ
Model MC132ZA
Modem firmware :05.12.01

2. When i connct my iphone it shows up 14 gb memory space .......

Plz help i really need to jailbreak my phone

flycats
May 7, 2010, 05:18 PM
What's the difference between restoring using iTunes and the reset option in the phone settings?

rancelucifinil
May 9, 2010, 11:46 AM
I will mark this post, useful.

But if I can recover iphone data on PC without jailbroken?

I tried recover data on PC with jailbroken iphone by Diskgetor, succeed.

User12399
May 9, 2010, 12:05 PM
What about apps? I seem to have lost all my apps and music and videos.

INeedAMacBook
May 11, 2010, 11:47 AM
please help, im trying to restore from jailbreak but all that comes up is error 21

d7sdavid
May 23, 2010, 08:25 PM
Same thing happened to me. Even after I restored, it still has a percentage where the battery icon usually is.

Anyone know how to get the battery back to normal?

Go to settings , usage and switch back from %

lavrishevo
Jun 21, 2010, 02:19 PM
please help, im trying to restore from jailbreak but all that comes up is error 21

Did you use Spirit to jailbreak? Are you using iTunes 9.2?

If the answer is yes this is the problem.

lucifiel
Jul 30, 2010, 12:00 AM
What's the difference between restoring using iTunes and the reset option in the phone settings?

The former is where you 'reinstall' (for lack of a better term) the OS of your phone, whilst the latter is where you delete all your personal data off the phone without touching the OS.

mailme83s
Jul 31, 2010, 11:24 AM
Hi,
I jailbreak my iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 with spirit after reset it worked fine for few minutes and then went off. it is now completely off, I tried to use above instructions but no luck. When I am restoring it with itunes it is giving this error" The iPhone couldn't be restored, the device is not eligible for buildup"
Please help I am stuck with this phone.
Regards

IphoneUser2611
Aug 4, 2010, 06:36 PM
I jailbroke my iphone 4 two days ago. A few things like my mailbox and some apps were acting up so I decided to reverse the jailbreak. I didn't follow any particular procedure to do this like I probably should have. I went to settings on the phone itself, clicked reset, and proceeded to erase all data and settings. After doing this, the phone turned off and I attempted to turn it back on. It has been frozen on the apple logo screen for more than an hour now. I tried plugging it into itunes but nothing happened. I even tried a hard reboot and it shuts down and goes right back to the apple logo screen and stays. What now? Please help

dtsm888
Aug 4, 2010, 08:09 PM
I have a 3Gs that was upgraded to 4 iOS and locked to AT&T. I have also jb/carrier unlocked with Team Dev's release - so working perfectly on TMO. I had not saved the SHSH earlier but now have downloaded tinyumbrella and saved my SHSH to cydia.

Here is my question: in the event that I need to do a restore, what will happen. If I now connect to my MacBook and iTunes, it automatically comes up with 'check for update'. If I hit "cancel", nothing happens. But that also means I can't restore?

Thanks

Jetman
Aug 5, 2010, 02:27 AM
I jailbroke my iphone 4 two days ago. A few things like my mailbox and some apps were acting up so I decided to reverse the jailbreak. I didn't follow any particular procedure to do this like I probably should have. I went to settings on the phone itself, clicked reset, and proceeded to erase all data and settings. After doing this, the phone turned off and I attempted to turn it back on. It has been frozen on the apple logo screen for more than an hour now. I tried plugging it into itunes but nothing happened. I even tried a hard reboot and it shuts down and goes right back to the apple logo screen and stays. What now? Please help

Hi, don't worry!

Exactly the same thing happened to me last night - I tried to reset my settings via the phone and it stopped booting up. After a terrible nights sleep dreaming about bricked iPhones and lost $$$ I found this guide.

So...

Firstly (as an aside) resetting your data and settings on the phone will not remove the jailbreak - you would have needed to perform a system restore via iTunes (on the summary tab in iTunes click Restore). But your phone is now bricked so you can't get this far.

All you have to do is you follow the instructions in the first post of this thread and you can restore your phone.

Good luck!

wkdangel69
Aug 7, 2010, 06:56 PM
I have tried so many times to restore or update my iphone and NOTHING is working!! It keeps going to the screen for connecting it to itunes each and every time I try doing either. I have even tried manually downloading updates or back grades and pressing shift and clicking one of them. NOTHING. I really want to upgrade it to ios4. I have done many things, that apple suggests and other hackers have suggested and nothing. I have to keep using some program I found online to get it off that screen as nothing else works. Can someone please help me!!?????

wkdangel69
Aug 7, 2010, 07:38 PM
I have tried so many times to restore or update my iphone and NOTHING is working!! It keeps going to the screen for connecting it to itunes each and every time I try doing either. I have even tried manually downloading updates or back grades and pressing shift and clicking one of them. NOTHING. I really want to upgrade it to ios4. I have done many things, that apple suggests and other hackers have suggested and nothing. I have to keep using some program I found online to get it off that screen as nothing else works. Can someone please help me!!?????

Sorry, I should specify that I have the iphone 3g, running firmware 3.1.3. I want to upgrade to firmware 4.0.

wkdangel69
Aug 7, 2010, 07:40 PM
Sorry, I should specify that I have the iphone 3g, running firmware 3.1.3. I want to upgrade to firmware 4.0.

Yes its jailbroken with spirit i think it was....

jmor
Aug 9, 2010, 06:51 PM
If I'm on 3.1.2 and have the blackra1n jailbreak and I want to restore so I click the restore button but then it says I have to restore and update and I'm afraid that when it updates my phone will brick, is this true or what should I do? Thanks.

timize
Aug 13, 2010, 07:25 PM
Hey guys -

If I unlock my iPhone 4 to allow my new T-Mobile SIM card to work...

Can I still restore it to factory settings if something goes wrong?
Would there be any indication of jailbreak/unlocking after I restore it?

aheart88
Aug 18, 2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks a lot, this post has helped me restore my new ip4.

But it restored to software 4.0.2 instead. can i Unlock this now?

Kayan
Aug 18, 2010, 05:45 PM

No

Willeth
Aug 23, 2010, 07:54 AM
I jailbroke my 3G last week from 4.0 looking for a performance increase but it seems I was mistaken - I'm going to unjailbreak and trust that 4.1 will have a speed fix (although I'm not holding out too much hope). I'd downgrade to 3.1 but I've read that means I can't restore a recent backup, is that right?

I just want to check I've got all the steps right. I've gone into SBSettings and unhid all my programs and restored my status bar to the standard. I'm going through Cydia and uninstalling the scant few packages I installed, and then I'm going to connect to iTunes, backup, hit restore and then restore the most recent backup. I do have a few questions I just want clarifying to be certain:

Do I need to restore as a new iPhone? If so, can I still restore the most recent backup, or should I just restore the phone from that backup?

If I leave the percentage battery meter option on in SBSettings, will that stick if I restore from backup rather than as a new phone and will it cause me any problems?

If I restore as a new phone, will I keep all my sync settings (for podcasts specifically)?

I'm aware it'll upgrade me to 4.0.2, but I don't plan on rejailbreaking, so I don't have an issue with that.

aldorande
Aug 23, 2010, 01:56 PM
my iphone is stuck on the pineapple logo and reseting using power +home won't fix it. I want to apply that solutions but restoring from the correct know image there :

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

will that work?

MacFly69
Sep 8, 2010, 01:13 PM
i'm looking to upgrade to OS4.1, but my iP4 is currently JB. do i need to first restore, then upgrade...or i can i simply just upgrade with it JB?

senorita87
Sep 9, 2010, 07:11 AM
went to try this but my phone wont turn off. do u know of any other way to restore?

macfan881
Sep 9, 2010, 01:36 PM
went to try this but my phone wont turn off. do u know of any other way to restore?

try holding down power/home till you phone restarts and it shows the itunes logo

3gjailbreakingm
Sep 27, 2010, 04:24 AM
I neeeeed help, tried to jailbreak my iphone 3 g with Iclaried, redsnow, very simple steps. Its just that i Forgot to put 3.1.2 ( mine is 3.1.3) to my iphone before jailbreaking with resdnow. so i went ahead and jailbreadk 9 whih i think didnt work , becuz i didnt have 3.1.2 in there And when i aput a vodafon sim card in there , its supposed to see it right ?? ) anwyays, went back to put 3.1.2 retrospectively in the iphone, it wont work, ie the restore wont work.. and phone wont work , and its all shitt!! so i guess the solution is how to UNjailbreak and then start from step one , ie , sync 3.1.2 then jail break..Is this correct ? And how do i got about doiing this cuz, now , my phone dont work ,its on stuck restore mode.. im trying Restore from itune but keep getting error messages !!! plazzzzzz help .

Barneygumble47
Oct 15, 2010, 09:40 AM
Great guide.

julioverani
Oct 18, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hi people,

My 3GS just died, and i tryed the steps told above, but nothing happened at all... I'm getting a new phone in a week, but i really need to retrieve all my apps and content, its really important to me and losing it would be a REAL stepback to my work! Most of this info probably wont be available anymore, so, is there any other ways to get my backup before the phone goes away?

Thanks in advance!

steinauf85
Oct 18, 2010, 11:12 PM
i was running 4.0.1 jailbroken on my iPhone 4. i ran the upgrade in itunes directly to iOS 4.1 (since i did not see a clear answer on here to say otherwise), but received Unknown Error 1004. i have tried to restore using the steps in this thread but i keep getting the same error. when the phone is plugged into the computer it just keeps showing the itunes logo and USB cable picture

i'm not sure what to do from here. what can i do if it just gives me errors every time i try to restore? can anyone please help me?

edit: i think i got it. it has to do with the hosts file being modified for jailbreaks, not for clean restores.
post 5: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=949246

Pine Pienaar
Oct 22, 2010, 04:57 AM
Nice and precise!
Thank You:)

TheNewDude
Nov 9, 2010, 01:13 PM
I have a 3G with 3.1.2 on it. I unlocked it but now i need to take it to the Apple store for repiar.

How do i reset to factory settings without losing the unlock for future?

Once the phone comes back from being repaired, I want to be able to unlock it again.

Thanks!

dilbaggins
Nov 28, 2010, 12:22 AM
I'm trying to recover/restore my iPhone 3G 4.1 Firmware. Whenever I'm restoring it, I'm putting it to DFU mode and connecting it to my computer, but everytime the Connect to iTunes screen disappears halfway into the download and it won't restore afterwards and I end up redownloading the iOS. Can anyone please help me :mad:

joannalandipa
Dec 9, 2010, 01:03 AM
One of the most commonly asked questions by iPhone users who want to jailbreak their iPhone is: "Is possible to recover if things go horribly wrong while trying to hack their iPhone?"
The answer is yes.

Before we start, please note that the step-by-step guide involves restoring your iPhone so you should know that this would mean that all your personal data from your iPhone, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, calendar information, and any other data will be wiped out and your iPhone's settings will be restored to their factory settings. However, you always have the option to recover your personal data from the backup.

Here is the step-by-step guide to revirginize or restore your jailbroken iPhone:

* Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and select your iPhone from the list of devices in iTunes. If things had gone horribly wrong while hacking your iPhone and iTunes does not detect your iPhone then you will need to put it in DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode.
o You can follow these steps to put your iPhone in DFU mode (this is required only if iTunes does not recognize your iPhone):
+ Turn iPhone off.
+ Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.

* iTunes should prompt you if you would wish to take a backup of your iPhone before restoring. Select Backup.

* Once the restore process has completed your iPhone will restart and the Apple logo will appear while booting up.
* After the restore is complete and your iPhone restarts you will see the “Connect to Activate” screen. You must continue to keep your iPhone connected to complete activation.

* The last step is to set up your iPhone either from a backup or set up as a "new iPhone". If you are planning to take the iPhone to the Apple Store, its advisable to setup your iPhone as a "new iPhone" else you can select the date of your backup that you want to restore to. You can always follow the above procedure to restore from a backup at a later date.

i hope admins of this website put this thread in sticky forum.. I'm glad I found in this web site, I thank you with gladness for restoring back my iphone 4.1, I thought I can never be use it again ,thank you again.

joannalandipa
Dec 9, 2010, 01:08 AM
hey man your genius and good , you make my heart beat again after restoring my iphone back again, I'd like to thank you for putting this step by step procedure to restore the iphone back to original. I been getting so crazy about it, I regret for attempting jailbreak my phone, thanks again .

farmercist
Dec 15, 2010, 09:57 PM
I have an iphone 3G jailbroken and unlocked on 4.2.1 with ipad baseband 6.15.00. Will this work? I thought I read somewhere that you couldn't restore with the ipad baseband I could have misread though. Please clarify :confused:
Thanks

sawah
Jan 13, 2011, 09:17 AM
Thankyou for this guide. I wanted to update my jb phone to the newest software and this worked perfectly! Give the poor springboard a break from resprings until the next untethered JB!

labman
Feb 3, 2011, 08:31 PM

your baseband doesn't change or downgrade that is the problem. ;)

ach22
Feb 6, 2011, 06:53 PM
I tried to jailbreak, and in the process my phone got stuck with the 'connect usb' screen. I called apple and they couldn't solve the problem over the phone. i got the 1013 error, I try and go through the steps mentioned and itunes tells me to check the iphone software server to identify the device? Then it says 'itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode, you must restore this device before itunes can use it' (something like that) I just go through this over and over!?
I get all the way through the software extraction- apple logo on my screen etc... then back to the start again

grapes911
Feb 6, 2011, 06:55 PM
I tried to jailbreak, and in the process my phone got stuck with the 'connect usb' screen. I called apple and they couldn't solve the problem over the phone. i got the 1013 error, I try and go through the steps mentioned and itunes tells me to check the iphone software server to identify the device? Then it says 'itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode, you must restore this device before itunes can use it' (something like that) I just go through this over and over!?
I get all the way through the software extraction- apple logo on my screen etc... then back to the start again

Stop at the 1013 error and use Tiny Umbrella to kick it out of the restore loop.

ach22
Feb 6, 2011, 07:05 PM
Okay thank you.
Do I exit recovery then click Start TSS or leave it in recovery? DO i need to select one of the saved SHSH's- cuz there are 3.

grapes911
Feb 6, 2011, 07:06 PM
Okay thank you.
Do I exit recovery then click Start TSS or leave it in recovery? DO i need to select one of the saved SHSH's- cuz there are 3.

Just click exit recovery.

ach22
Feb 6, 2011, 07:11 PM
I think I did what you suggested and it doesn't work? Itunes goes right back to check for software updates then says detects iphone in recovery mode...
Anything else I can do from here?

grapes911
Feb 6, 2011, 07:15 PM
Try a DFU restore.
http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/How_To:_Enter_DFU_Restore_Mode

IphoneGuy4daBay
Feb 8, 2011, 02:40 AM
I have an iphone 3G jailbroken and unlocked on 4.2.1 with ipad baseband 6.15.00. Will this work? I thought I read somewhere that you couldn't restore with the ipad baseband I could have misread though. Please clarify :confused:
Thanks

Does anyone know the procedure to restore your Iphone 3G with 4.2.1 and the Ipad baseband that you accidentally hit reset all settings and now is stuck at "Connect to Itunes"

I know I know....

Nandina
Mar 1, 2011, 04:48 PM
We can't remember the password for the Iphone since it's been dead for a few months (water spillage), but now came back to life. What should we do?

iApples
Mar 24, 2011, 09:24 PM
The answer is yes.

+ Turn iPhone off.

Very nicely put together guide.

mirfan
Mar 27, 2011, 09:55 PM
My phone stuck/freeze on apple logo I reset through Itune and restore now I put sim inside the phone - msg pop up that sim not supported - look like I have to load jailbreak, I try iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore half the way error pop up and unable to download further.. Is there anybody help me what should I do?? to restore my phone....Thanks

olivia22
Apr 3, 2011, 09:28 AM
iPhone 3Gs, was running JB 4.0.1 for ages. Thought I had saved SHSH for 4.0.1 but seems I hadn't. Now I'm suck with iPh constantly rebooting itself, I can read FS with CyberDuck. No idea what's wrong (wish I could find some mutant kext or such).

Anyway restore via option Restore through iTunes won't let me use 4.0.1 (verification failure). Cydia warns loudly not to move from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2. But no mention of whether perhaps 4.1 is OK (I have SHSH for that).

Any suggestions from the knowledgeable please. I've been stuck for a week and more!

I would love to know most robust iOS version to run on 3Gs JB-ed. And best (most robust/rigorous) JB to use (redsnow, pwnage, greenpoison, ...)?

And pointers to where solid/quality/competent/rigorous documentation on this can be found.

H e l p ... (cries this bewildered little mouse).

olivia22
Apr 7, 2011, 04:05 AM
So much written, yet so confusing, but so much context missing from posts. Surprising that this topic is now a magnet for those that enjoy sorting out a mess. I'm sure that such must exist somewhere.

At this rate, the iPhone5 will be out before I get my 3Gs working again!

olivia22
Apr 7, 2011, 10:48 AM
The above links to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Unlock-baseband-21004-iPhone-4/210621868948669 and http://www.mega-centar.com/iph/er.html.

The latter (which doesn't work in Chrome) demands that a survey is completed.

More spam?

Anyone able to answer my questions above? Especially why Cydia warns loudly not to move from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2. Does that mean they recommend not 4.1 and above?

olivia22
Apr 13, 2011, 03:25 PM
Rather disappointing that so many try to spam MacRumors.

Anyway I've now installed iOS 4.1 as I couldn't find a way to get 4.0.1 back. I hadn't realised that it would update my baseband, so now I can't unlock that.

I suspect that I'm talking to myself, and that my questions should be directed somewhere else, but the initial post of this thread seemed so on target.

So now to discover how to back-grade the baseband ...

kuchiki1o
Apr 18, 2011, 08:25 AM
i have a problem in restoring my iphone 4
whenever i tried to restore it i came up with an error 3194
is anything i can to fix it?
well i mistakenly updated my iphone to 4.3.2
then i tried to jailbreak it when i turn off my phone i am stuck in the apple logo
i just wanted to unjailbreak my iphone but this error shows up every time i even use other computers to restore it but its the same..please help

olivia22
Apr 18, 2011, 08:45 AM
kuchiki1o,
I'm so no expert, but I'm sure it'll help if you can give as much specific detail as possible.
I'm coming to the conclusion that a lot of confusion derives from people assume others have the same system and setup as themselves.

On your problem. Have you saved an SHSH blob for 4.3.2 on that phone? When you say you want to unjailbreak your iPhone, what do you mean by that. Wipe it clean and install 4.3.2?

There's tons of advice on the web, IMHO most only partially informed, often misleading and potentially damaging. It seems we have to reverse engineer our way through a blizzard of misinformation, but if you slog on and never take anyone's word for anything unless you have checked and double check their facts ... then answers are probably out there.

I'm sure it helps to ask very clear questions, (there are so many people who might be prepared to try to help) but they cannot easily guess what your setup is. All too often well meaning advice is misguided because the person offering it assumed their setup is the same as yours (when it wasn't).

olivia22
Apr 18, 2011, 09:16 AM
I couldn't find a way to get 4.0.1 up so jumped to 4.1 on advice from assorted seemingly authoritative web sites. As a result I unwittingly updated my baseband to one which cannot be unlocked.

My old iPhone 3Gs was a gift from an American friend when he moved on to iPhone 4, I'm in Europe, so I have to unlock it.

Apple can seem to make life unnecessarily difficult sometimes!

wtmcghee
Apr 19, 2011, 06:22 PM
My phone has been running kind of slow lately/jerky when switching apps etc even after a restart and manually closing all apps. If I do a reset according to guide should this help fix some of these problems? Thanks.

phiber
May 12, 2011, 10:05 AM
I'm gonna try my luck here and see if I can get some help...

Ok, so I have a jailbroken iphone 4, that I bought directly from Apple (Australia), factory unlocked (so I can put sims from any operator in it).
I am currently running ios 4.2.1 and did the jailbreak through GreenPoison.

I would like to restore my iphone to the latest ios (4.3.3 i believe?) , and have my phone back to its original state: understand not jailbroken, so that I can synch and update my phone normally through itunes.

Now, can I simply follow the procedure described here or are there additional steps I should go through? I have seen many times that I should save the SHSH, is it something I should do or is it safe for me to simply follow the procedure above?

I hope I have given enough details, if this is not the case, please do let me know.
Thanks in advance for the help guys, you all are very knowledgeable! :)

:apple:

olivia22
May 12, 2011, 10:20 AM
Not sure if I get you meaning phiber. If you have no already saved your SHSH for 4.2.1, you won't be able to go back to it. You need to save SHSHs in advance for each version of iOS as they come out. Apple only issue SHSHs for a short time, so if you don't save them while you can (while they are current) you've missed your chance. I missed out, exactly like that. Once bitten ...

Apple's way of trying to force us to upgrade everything, lose apps, keep spending spending spending (during a double dip recession grr).

Somewhere on Cydia is supposed to offer "Make my life easy" which will save your SHSH as needed. I haven't managed to find that though.

phiber
May 12, 2011, 11:33 AM
Hi Olivia,

You mean I HAD to save my SHSH before jailbreaking the iphone?
At the time I jailbroke it I remember clicking the "make my life easier" button, but it is not there any more you are right. I don't understand how I was supposed to save the SHSH before jailbreaking, since the "make my life easier" button was in Cydia, that it when the phone was jailbroken already...?!

So are you saying there is NO WAY for me to ever go back to the current firmware and I am forever condemned to run a JB iphone? :confused:

olivia22
May 12, 2011, 04:26 PM
This is obviously a counter-intuitive issue. I didn't get it initially, I think due to misinterpreting the assumptions made.

So here goes trying to explain (as far as I understand it):

Every time an iOS device has its OS installed, it needs to make an SHSH handshake (by default with Apple). The SHSH is the confirmation packet. Apple generates this using unique data from your device. But they only make it for current and very recent iOS releases. So to install older versions of iOS you need to already have saved your SHSH.

Cydia can save your SHSH for you on their server. So later when you go to install that older iOS version, you need to have already had the relevant SHSH stored. So your old iOS installation can get the confirmation SHSH from Cydia rather than from Apple.

So you need to save your device's SHSH for each older iOS version that you will ever want to go back to. If you didn't save it at the time that that iOS version was being issued SHSHs by Apple, you can never go back to that version.

Lets say you have an nice iOS device (iPhone/Pad/podtouch), it is running fine. Maybe you jailbreak it or maybe not, but you don't save the SHSH (you do not need to have jailbroken in order to save its SHSH, you can use TinyUmbrella). Later you update to some later iOS version, but find that you've problems such as broken apps. So you want to restore your old iOS version (jailbroken or not). But you'll find that you cannot. You needed that old SHSH.

So if you have no SHSHs saved, you could stay with the iOS version that you are currently running (for as long as it runs without needing to be restored), or you could give in, install the current iOS version and start from scratch from there, never being able to go back to older versions. But presumably from there on saving your SHSHs as each iOS version comes out just in case you might need it in future. You can use TinyUmbrella for that - it is a lovely neat app, worthy of much praise an dgratitude for what it does.

To sumarise, you can save your device's SHSH at any time (jailbroken or not) but only while Apple is issues its SHSH, which is while Apple's latest iOS release is out, and for a few days after the nest release. After that it is too late.

Does that make it any clearer phiber?

If so, perhaps you could do me a favor - let me know where the "make my life easier" option is hidden (please be very pedantic as I have spent many hours looking for it but never found it). That would be much appreciated.

phiber
May 13, 2011, 03:52 AM
Hi again,

Thanks for your detailed reply, you explained things well and it's much appreciated!

So if I get this right, when you say:

or you could give in, install the current iOS version and start from scratch from there, never being able to go back to older versions.

It seems that I can get the latest ios on my device - in this case 4.3.3 but I won't be able to get my current firmware 4.2.1: is that correct?
If so, this is what I want to achieve: I want to be able to restore my phone to factory settings in order to install the latest ios firmware, not jailbroken.

Can you confirm that?

Now, regarding the make my life easier thing: when I did that, I have ios 4.2.1, and my iphone 4 was jailbroken by greenpoison.
The FIRST time I started Cydia, there was a big button with make my life easier, on the home page, with a red heart in front of it.
I have looked for a video for you on youtube to show what it looks like precisely.
Have a look at this video and you'll see what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpoQGkne0iE&NR=1

You really cannot miss it, but I saw that screen only the first time I started Cydia.
I hope this helps!

phiber
May 13, 2011, 03:54 AM
Also, you can see at the top of your Cydia home screen the SHSH saved.
The appear in green and it looks like : "SHSH: iOS 4.2.1, 4.3, 4.3b1" (this is what I have on my iphone).
This line appears on the video above circled in red at 0:21 seconds in the video.

olivia22
May 13, 2011, 05:05 AM
Many thanks phiber

I think that Cydia must remove the "Make my life easier" option after we've selected it once. And I must have selected it ages ago.

I'm lost when you refer to iOS and firmware 4.2.1. Trying to unscramble terms, I think the iOS is firmware. Not to be confused with Modem firmware, otherwise know as baseband. These terms are used chaotically all over the place, so I find one needs to do a lot of guess work and turning of blind eyes.

So you should be able to install any iOS version that you have SHSHs for, plus the current version 4.3.3 (Apple will issue the appropriate SHSH).

However beware of one thing that caught me out. Various sites said it was safe for me to update my iOS to version 4.1, which I did. Only to discover that my baseband was changed to 05.14.02, which cannot be unlocked.

There are apparently ways to install some iOS versions without changing the modem baseband. I haven't dug into that yet. UltrasnOw warns not to use redsnOw as it updates the baseband, I didn't use redsnOw but was nuked anyway.

The reason I started jail breaking at all is that this is an iPhone given me by an American friend and I am in Europe so can't use that US phone carrier here. Since then I relish the culture outside Apple control-freak walled garden.

Anyway getting back to your iPhone, if I understand you right, you just want to get the latest firmware, not jailbroken. That should be easy, just use the standard iTunes installer, but be warned it will completely erase everything that you currently have on your phone, so make sure you have backups.

I think Apple's default approach is to allow you to install the current iOS anytime, but in doing so lose any jailbreak material.

Further confusion decryption efforts: Restore Mode mode is not the same as Recovery mode. Also "restore" = reinstall the iOS, while "reset" = erase personal data.

Of course I am struggling in all this to understand both the technology, ethos, and lingo that drives this iOS world. I find the chaos of kidspeak and youtube egofest material one heck of a compost heap. Still at least it helps me get a small sense of the way the world is and slow Alzheimers..

I'm sure eventually I'll stumble upon some who have both wide comprehension of the issues and powers of communication. As it is, for every possible fact-let, there are hundreds of assumptions which I do not share with whomever presumes them. One needs a style filter to thin the chaff out.

The above just by way of saying that I don't trust me yet in iPhonery, and you certainly should not. But I'm trying!

olivia22
May 13, 2011, 05:18 AM
So many traps ...

Just looking for "unlock iPhone baseband 05.14.02" and find many wiseacres saying to upgrade to iPad iOS 4.2.1 with baseband 06.15.00.

Then elsewhere I stumble upon the warning that that will nuke GPS. GPS means more to me that being able to use the telephone.

Lesson: treble check everything from multiple different sources. And never believe anything at first take.

The kids that say "Start the car by turning the key in the ignition" may seem to mean well and be making sense, but later you may find that by using the "ignition" you also unwittingly burned your home down - which to you is far worse than not being able to drive.

That's the world of iOS. And Apple do the same thing too! (thought not quite as wildly as many on the interweb).

phiber
May 16, 2011, 01:27 AM
Hi again,

Thanks for all your help :)
I have now restored my iphone and I run the current ios, with no problem to my gps nor baseband. Everything's just working as it should be :)
I'm glad I did.

Cheeers and good luck!

olivia22
May 16, 2011, 02:54 AM
Well done phiber. Together we'll decrypt this labyrinth that Apple has concocted to bamboozle us.

phiber
May 16, 2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks again for all the help!
It indeed is a challenge, sorta like a deep jungle filled with deadly traps where each footstep could be your last!
I hope all works out ok with you and you can keep using your JB iphone over in Europe (where about?)!

olivia22
May 17, 2011, 05:05 AM
Blighty. And yes, exactly, a jungle (carefully crafted with bear traps at every turn). I'd sure like to be able to have the phone aspect enabled, but I can do without it. Seems there'll never be a way to unlock baseband 05.14.02.
Another black mark for Apple.
Thanks for the empathy phiber.

NWI73
May 19, 2011, 06:21 AM
MY JB 4.2.1 iphone 4 was lagging so bad. Followed the procedure in post 1 and took it back to stock then restored from my backup which was done right before I did the restore. JB removed, all of my personal data was retained and it's WICKED fast! It's been awhile since my phone was this snappy! Loving the newest update and stock iphone!

sum500
Jun 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
thank you for guild, very relevant your tip

saraw66
Jun 21, 2011, 02:38 PM
i have iphone 4.3.1 and after choosing recovery in itunes my phone is now stuck in recovery mode, what do i do????

sallyomally
Jun 22, 2011, 05:10 AM
MY JB 4.2.1 iphone 4 was lagging so bad. Followed the procedure in post 1 and took it back to stock then restored from my backup which was done right before I did the restore. JB removed, all of my personal data was retained and it's WICKED fast! It's been awhile since my phone was this snappy! Loving the newest update and stock iphone!

i dont know how to start a new thread so ill just continue off this one.
i bought an iphone off ebay and it is jailbroken unlocked. it was previously locked to optus. my provider now is with optus and i was wondering if i restored it and updated it to the latest version of ios will i be able to use my optus sim? is it too risky to do this, will i screw up everything and will it wind out to not accept any sim?
please help quickly!

freakyfoot
Jun 28, 2011, 03:21 PM
great guide thanks

just restored my iphone but it will now not take the sim i was using in it
It wants a "valid sim to activate phone".
does this mean the sim that was assigned to it when it was first sold?
i bought it off some1 who had it on at&t network and i've been using a gevey pro to run with my sim. but it wont take my sim now
any advice would be much appreciated :)

hackthatphone
Jun 29, 2011, 01:26 PM
i dont know how to start a new thread so ill just continue off this one.
i bought an iphone off ebay and it is jailbroken unlocked. it was previously locked to optus. my provider now is with optus and i was wondering if i restored it and updated it to the latest version of ios will i be able to use my optus sim? is it too risky to do this, will i screw up everything and will it wind out to not accept any sim?
please help quickly!

Since you don't NEED an unlock using Optus, it doesn't matter what you do. If you do need an unlock then update wisely and preserve your (unlockable?) baseband.

pbfa
Jul 6, 2011, 10:56 PM
great guide thanks

just restored my iphone but it will now not take the sim i was using in it
It wants a "valid sim to activate phone".
does this mean the sim that was assigned to it when it was first sold?
i bought it off some1 who had it on at&t network and i've been using a gevey pro to run with my sim. but it wont take my sim now
any advice would be much appreciated :)

I need help with this, too. I had been using T-Mobile on my jailbroken/unlocked 3Gs Iphone, then upgraded to 4.3.3 from 3.1.2 in Itunes (DOLT!)...I got it restored, but ITunes doesn't recognize my T-Mobile SIM & it's the only one I have.

Help?

nabisco
Aug 13, 2011, 06:24 AM
I'm not sure if this is a recent change but iTunes 10.4 doesn't seem to give me the option to just restore, there's just an option for 'Restore and Update'. I have an iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3 jailbroken with Pwnage Tool 4.3.3.1 which I'm trying to restore then re-jailbreak.

Can I hold down 'alt' and use the 4.3.3 firmware I downloaded when jailbreaking? or will I run into problems with 'signing' and 'blobs' and 'umbrellas'?

Also, well written guide but I think you need to alter it to make it clear about whether you HAVE to update the firmware.

labman
Aug 13, 2011, 06:51 AM
I'm not sure if this is a recent change but iTunes 10.4 doesn't seem to give me the option to just restore, there's just an option for 'Restore and Update'. I have an iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3 jailbroken with Pwnage Tool 4.3.3.1 which I'm trying to restore then re-jailbreak.

Can I hold down 'alt' and use the 4.3.3 firmware I downloaded when jailbreaking? or will I run into problems with 'signing' and 'blobs' and 'umbrellas'?

Also, well written guide but I think you need to alter it to make it clear about whether you HAVE to update the firmware.

iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 require SHSH Blobs to downgrade firmware once Apple stops signing it. which is usually shortly after a firmware update. if you don't have the shsh you can only install the latest firmware. If you are Jailbroken and on say Firmware 4.2.1 you can try IFAITH and see if it can save that shsh blob for you. IFAITH has been found to be hit and miss.

nabisco
Aug 13, 2011, 07:47 AM
thanks for the reply, but I'm not even trying to downgrade. Do I still need SHSH blobs to restore and maintain the same firmware?

demonsaphir
Sep 3, 2011, 01:18 AM
I used jailbreakme.com and installed cydia onto my 3GS and I want to sell it now as im getting the iphone 4.

What is the quickest way to get rid of it so that the new owner can sync it in itunes??

ECUpirate44
Sep 7, 2011, 11:27 AM
I used jailbreakme.com and installed cydia onto my 3GS and I want to sell it now as im getting the iphone 4.

What is the quickest way to get rid of it so that the new owner can sync it in itunes??

Read the thread...

vule678
Sep 15, 2011, 08:59 PM
How do i do this without a power button ? my power button is broken and is stuck on apple logo . computer cant recongize

syolase
Oct 11, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, (and I'm kinda' new in the iOS world), I have an urgent question, and I hope someone can help me out!

So, I'm considering to buy a used 3Gs, and I want to be sure, that can I restore fully the phone, or not.

The phone is jail-broken, and currently using iOS 4.3.3, with 06.15.00 baseband. Will I be able to restore this phone fully? Or if its not enough info, tell me what other info you need to tell that the phone is restorable or not, so i can ask the seller for more info.

Thanks everyone!

WinCoVariable
Oct 12, 2011, 07:54 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, (and I'm kinda' new in the iOS world), I have an urgent question, and I hope someone can help me out!

So, I'm considering to buy a used 3Gs, and I want to be sure, that can I restore fully the phone, or not.

The phone is jail-broken, and currently using iOS 4.3.3, with 06.15.00 baseband. Will I be able to restore this phone fully? Or if its not enough info, tell me what other info you need to tell that the phone is restorable or not, so i can ask the seller for more info.
Thanks everyone!
I am in the same situation. I am considering buying my friend’s 3GS when he gets the 4S, but it’s jailbroken. Anyway to restore it to factory settings? We’ve tried all the standard methods, but none seem to be working. It’s running iOS 4.3.3. Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

jackie purdy
Nov 1, 2011, 10:03 AM
i had a guy jailbreak my phone & put cydia on it, he then tried to unlock it & it didnt work, it just had little to no service, long story short, I went to another guy to try, he now tells me i have to resore my phone to 4.3.3 which i have no clue how to do since i think it will just do the newest software? next he says without the "code" the guy used to jailbreak it there is a 50/ 50 chance I may turn my phone into an ipod leaving the rest useless... i contacted the guy who put this on my phone, offered to pay to have him safely remove it & he said the other guy was an idot & i just need to restore... all i ever asked for was to unlock it so i can use it with my new provider....sigh:( any help???

mugen13
Nov 19, 2011, 10:24 PM
I'm having problems restoring my phone. I'm jailbroken on 4.3.3 using snowbreeze and I cannot get the phone to restore completely using a 4.3.3 ipsw. I had some problems using itunes 10.5 so I've downgraded my itunes to 10.2. I've gone into the host file and changed the gs.apple.com address so it will verify the 4.3.3 ipsw. I've gone into Tiny Umbrella unchecked the “Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit”.

The phone gets about 80% done restoring then it throws the error "the iphone "iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1)" and puts the phone into a recovery loop. Thats when I have to use snowbreeze to restore the phone to life since redsnow did not work.

Does anyone else have this problem? If someone can please help so i can take it in to get checked by apple!

elelover
Nov 23, 2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the guide. I will try

dsquared81
Dec 19, 2011, 09:00 PM
Answered already, thanks Applejuiced!

albert3324
Dec 28, 2011, 03:37 AM
Thanks for posting! Got it.:D

bansheebeat
Jan 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
So my 4s is JB on 5.0.1. Let's say I want to go back to stock. I do a restore as new iPhone. Do I lose all my contacts, pics, app placements, etc? If so is there a way to get these back to how they were? What if I upgrade to 5.1 when it comes out? Will there still be traces of a JB?

iVB
Jan 28, 2012, 03:33 AM
Well, to start, I have iPhone 4 with 4.1 firmware and I wanna UPGRADE that to iOS5 5.0.1 and jailbreak it

when I shift+click the restore and load the custom ipsw i got it from this link: http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware

error 3194 will should, GOSH I HATE IT.

I started to look all over the internet for solutions.

actually i have used it on another machine and same error came up 3194. I am at wits end. everywhere it says its a hosts file issue, but I have done everything with this gdamn hosts file to make it brand new. I have edited it in notepad and deleted the contents of the file, saved it. rebooted. checked to make sure windows wrote the default one, still 3194. I have used microsoft fixit to put a default hosts file in etc. again 3194. I have added 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to hosts file, I have removed 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com from hosts file. still 3194. I have clicked update, error 3001, everywhere it says to click restore to solve that problem, so i click restore, 3194. I shift click browse to my ipsw, again 3194. I have put my phone into DFU recovery mode and still 3194. I have used tiny umbrella to put it in Recovery mode, still 3194.

so how will solve this problem?

and would upgrading to 5.0.1 normally (by itunes) and then jailbreaking will harm the process? because - and from what I read - that custom ipsw is used by who are panic of loosing their unlock, will I DON'T. my iPhone is already unlocked!

Ponderous
Jan 29, 2012, 11:13 PM
Trying to restore my 4s to stock. Having issues with iTunes cloud music and wanted to troubleshoot without the JB. When I plug into iTunes and select restore I get the error "Unable to restore your device"

Any idea why? IPhone 4s with 5.0.1 jailbroken with absinthe v.3

Thanks in advance.

doctortrojan
Jan 31, 2012, 03:31 AM
I tried this and instead of getting validated by apple it now won't connect. i am a doctor and need my cell phone to return calls. i don't understand what to do i tried using red snow and it gives me an error. what should i do please help me if you can.

sincerely
a friend in need

P.S. i can donate to your charity redsnow or ultraslow or whoever can help me with this would really like to have my phone back and now i regret trying to upgrade from jailbroken 4.0.1 version which i had been using since i got the phone nearly 2 years ago :( i always seem to ruin my phone or lose my phone usually drop it in water this time i guess i electronically ruined it...maybe there is hope ....

Ponderous
Jan 31, 2012, 06:34 AM
I tried this and instead of getting validated by apple it now won't connect. i am a doctor and need my cell phone to return calls. i don't understand what to do i tried using red snow and it gives me an error. what should i do please help me if you can.

sincerely
a friend in need

P.S. i can donate to your charity redsnow or ultraslow or whoever can help me with this would really like to have my phone back and now i regret trying to upgrade from jailbroken 4.0.1 version which i had been using since i got the phone nearly 2 years ago :( i always seem to ruin my phone or lose my phone usually drop it in water this time i guess i electronically ruined it...maybe there is hope ....

What do you mean it won't connect? Use tiny umbrella to kick it out of the recovery loop. That's where mine gets stuck. I still can't restore to factory. It keeps giving me "unable to restore device. Error 21". Not sure where to go from here. Thankfully tiny umbrella kicks it out of recovery mode and I still have my awesome jailbroke 4s. Just wish I could restore and then rejailbreak if I wanted to.

RaNdOm
Feb 6, 2012, 11:23 AM
I've been trying to restore my phone (iPhone 4S iOS 5.0.1) for a couple of hours now and I think I finally got it to work, but it was a pain. I don't know what the final combination was to get it to restore back to factory. I was getting errors: 21, 11, 1600 and can't connect to apple server before I finally got it working. I also tried setting it into recovery mode and DFU mode. I used TinyUmbrella in multiple iterations and something finally worked, but I'm not sure what it was. Is there an update to getting the phone to restore to factory after Absinthe Jailbreak?

drikusj
Feb 15, 2012, 02:25 AM
I've been trying to restore my Iphone 4 (5.0.1) for some time now the first problem that i've received is a 3194 error in Itunes when trying to restore. I've change the host file to point to apple servers, restart my computer, and still getting the 3194 error. After that I used tinyumbrella to save my SHSH files so the file that it saved is "iphone 4 5.0.1" I've tried restoring my iphone with tinyumbrella open with the start TSS server and now i'm receiving a error 11 from itunes!!

Any help please??

floridasteal
Feb 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
I've been trying to restore my Iphone 4 (5.0.1) for some time now the first problem that i've received is a 3194 error in Itunes when trying to restore. I've change the host file to point to apple servers, restart my computer, and still getting the 3194 error. After that I used tinyumbrella to save my SHSH files so the file that it saved is "iphone 4 5.0.1" I've tried restoring my iphone with tinyumbrella open with the start TSS server and now i'm receiving a error 11 from itunes!!

Any help please??
open tinyumbrella uncheck set hosts to cydia on exit, close tinyumbrella restore

burningbright
Mar 6, 2012, 07:50 AM
Hello, I recently bought an iPhone 3G and (unknown to me at the time) it was already jailbroken.

I would very much like to make it run the latest official firmware it is capable of running. I tried the procedure in the first post but iTunes refuses to complete the restoration due to 'Error 1015'.

What can I do?

Help much appreciated.

cvsisi
Apr 10, 2012, 08:10 AM
Hello, I recently bought an iPhone 3G and (unknown to me at the time) it was already jailbroken.

I would very much like to make it run the latest official firmware it is capable of running. I tried the procedure in the first post but iTunes refuses to complete the restoration due to 'Error 1015'.

What can I do?

Help much appreciated.

You need to restore it using a custom restore file (see below) , which is what I need. Unfortunately the hotfile that was sharing the file has been removed - does any have this file that they could share? I'm without a phone until I can get this! Help please??!!

iPhone3G_4.2.1_8C148_Custom.iPhoneRock.Com.ipsw

K3it4r0
Apr 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
I have a problem restoring my iPhone 4. Now is jailbroken with 5.0.1, and I want to restore it with the same firmware (in case I want to jailbreak it again). I put it in DFU mode with redsnow (last version) , installed tiny umbrella, save SHSH, start TSS server and I get all the time error 1600(with both the option "set host to cydia" check and uncheck), or sometimes other random error. Any suggestion?

fastrack151
May 15, 2012, 02:06 AM
A few time i have been seeking to go returning to not being jailbroken, and in the last, mature the apple company iphones you could quickly, but i keep in mind i had a jailbroken the apple company iphone and i went to recover it and it very much got trapped and i had to offer it trapped. now im jailbroken again, but im having a problem with edge/3G and i want to go to the apple company to see if they can fix it or just provide a new one, but i know if they see it being jailbroken they probably won't help me.

rezzo
Jun 1, 2012, 08:31 PM
Always I have had the same question...

the iTunes (and the iCloud) backups keep * all * included files/paths used by Cydia and applications/tweaks right?

The question is more than anything, if I ever want to remove the jb and don't want to lose my apps settings and savegames.

imDanielWood
Jun 1, 2012, 09:50 PM
I'm using an iPhone 4S on 5.1.1 jail broken with absinthe 2.0.2.

Is it nessessary to put my phone into DFU mode during a factory restore? Or can I just restore it the usual way?

Also say if I have paid for apps since the jailbreak, how would I back them up without storing any of the jailbreak data? So I can safely restore them after a restore? Because I've heard just using the backup tool in iTunes saves jailbreak data, which is useless... ?

iClive
Jun 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
Good questions, to which I'd also like to learn the answers...

keke007
Jun 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
Hi friends,

This post was a life saver!!! I attempted to jailbreak my iPhone 3G with QuickPwn and got stuck in a continuous loop of restarts that didn't work. This post got me back to normal. I will attempt to jailbreak later now that I know I have this option. Thank for share!

Have fun!

hackthatphone
Aug 31, 2012, 08:31 AM
I can't believe there's a thread for how to click the restore button in itunes.

I also can't believe people still use quickpwn.

clunc
Sep 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
Hi All,

Monday the 24th I start a new job in which they are providing cell phone. It will be a Verizon iPhone (probably 4s), so I want to give my wife my Sprint 4s to use with her number. I'm currently jailbroken and thought it would be easy to just wipe and restore, and reactivate on our existing Sprint account with her number. However, Sprint tells me a jailbroken iPhone, once restored to factory settings, won't connect to the network on a different line. I'm obviously a little puzzled by this. I'm not sure sprint customer service guy knows what he's talking about, but I'm not knowledgable enough to just let it go and proceed with my plan without being sure. My wife doesn't want to change her number. Is it possible to do what I want to do? And if so, is it as simple as I think it will be? Will I have to take it in to a Sprint store to get the line swapped? Or can I do it on their website?

Zach Vega
Sep 29, 2012, 10:23 AM
I needed to update to iOS 6, and the only JB thing I use is SBSettings.

Maxwell1122
Oct 3, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hello, can anybody give me step by step instructions on how to upgrade from Jailbroken 5.1.1 to Un Jailbroken iOS6. My ipad is currently jailbroken and I want it running on iOS6. Thanks!

iClive
Oct 5, 2012, 12:05 AM
Hello, can anybody give me step by step instructions on how to upgrade from Jailbroken 5.1.1 to Un Jailbroken iOS6. My ipad is currently jailbroken and I want it running on iOS6. Thanks!

1. Connect your iPad to a Mac (or PC if you have to :D)

2. In itunes, backup the iPad

3. Now click on the Restore button

4. itunes should automatically update to IOS6 but if it doesnt, go to Settings->General->Software Update and do it from there

sandsrai
Oct 6, 2012, 04:35 PM
The answer is yes.

+ Turn iPhone off.
Image (http://i34.tinypic.com/3128lkw.jpg)

Image (http://i37.tinypic.com/2iuxaj5.jpg)

Image (http://i34.tinypic.com/2ly4l09.jpg)

Image (http://i34.tinypic.com/10nzw3l.jpg)

Image (http://i35.tinypic.com/j8388x.jpg)

MY PROBLEM

my iphone is in recovery mode
i connected with itunes
my itunes detects my iphone
name :iphone
capacity: N/A
available: N/A
version : N/A

i restore then (restore and update) comes i clicked it
(itunes is restoring software in this iphone) appears

preparing iphone for restore
waiting for iphone
in iphone the loading screen appears
restoring iphone software
verifying iphone software
verifying iphone restore
in iphone screen software loading is 75% now

dang! "the iphone ' sands iphone'could not be restored.An unknown error occured"

thats it finished again my iphone is in recovery mode still itunes detects it bt same thing happens when i restore it

can u help me plz

nerak99
Oct 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
@Sandsrai.
As the amusing battle between jail breakers and Apples carries on. Much of this issue arises from Apple's view of the way that their hardware should be used and good luck to them really. History shows that they are into a never ending battle.

Meanwhile the merely curious can end up with phones that are temporarily disabled.

In your case, it is likely to be some kind of signing issue. This is where Apple are no longer signing the version of iOS that you are trying to restore to.

On your Itunes computer it is worth checking that there is not a redirect in your hosts file for gs.apple.com. (Look for a file called hosts in a folder called etc). If there is such a line, take a backup of the file and delete the line that refers to gs.apple.com.

Put your phone into restore mode (Picture of USB and msg to plug said USB into iTunes) and try to get iTunes to restore to factory settings. This is rather like doing DFU mode but let go of power button as soon as screen goes black and let go of home button when iTunes tells you it has detected a phone in recovery mode. The let iTunes have a go at a restore.

If this does not work then Apple publish how to remove dodgy prior ipsw files from iTunes. This may solve the signing problem as iTunes will be able to push the absolute latest version on to your phone which (obviously) Apple are still signing.

It is worth retrying the restore and if it fails, follow up the error code (end tag in the url when you click on "more info") on the Apple site.

Restoring my phone took me through 3194, then 1604, then -1 and finally success.

The only reason I jailbroke it in the first place was to have a go at using siri, which, IMHO unreasonably, you cannot get from the App store for the model of iPhone I have. It is this kind of consumer bullying which gets people to support jailbreaking in the first place. Siri, BTW again IMHO, is over rated.

kevin14433
Dec 13, 2012, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the guideline. I followed it and it works. But now I am having another problem that I am not able to send or receive any application from other phones or to other phones. What I should do now and how can I sort out this problem.

Regards

ipos
Feb 5, 2013, 05:05 AM
btw, i can't seems to update my ipad from 5.1.1 to 6.1

http://i.imgur.com/3WoUxmu.png

keep getting this msg.
anyone has a solution?

Futhark
Feb 5, 2013, 08:56 AM
Always I have had the same question...

the iTunes (and the iCloud) backups keep * all * included files/paths used by Cydia and applications/tweaks right?

The question is more than anything, if I ever want to remove the jb and don't want to lose my apps settings and savegames.

This is the thing preventing me doing the latest Jailbreak. I remember Jailbreaking a few years back and everything was up and running perfectly (or so i'd thought) so backed up my phone as usual over iCloud but after a while i found apps were crashing loads and my phone in general became unstable so i decided to go back to the official firmware (I can't remember now what version) but when it came time to restore my data from my iCloud backup i couldn't do it :confused: I can't remember exactly now what happened but i just know i had to start my phone as if it was a new phone again which was extremely annoying.

Is this likely to happen again?

Beeray
Feb 5, 2013, 02:04 PM
This is the thing preventing me doing the latest Jailbreak. I remember Jailbreaking a few years back and everything was up and running perfectly (or so i'd thought) so backed up my phone as usual over iCloud but after a while i found apps were crashing loads and my phone in general became unstable so i decided to go back to the official firmware (I can't remember now what version) but when it came time to restore my data from my iCloud backup i couldn't do it :confused: I can't remember exactly now what happened but i just know i had to start my phone as if it was a new phone again which was extremely annoying.

Is this likely to happen again?

I don't know if it will happen again, but all you need to do is restore it from a different computer. Worked for me.

iDevicePro
Feb 5, 2013, 11:23 PM
hey guys, please like: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Idevicepro/303033436486796# or head to this website: http://tomorrow-tech.webs.com for all your latest iOS news and info. :apple:

II BISTRO II
Feb 6, 2013, 12:58 PM
tried to restore today (iphone 5, 6.1 jailbroken) and got an error message through itunes (3014 if i remember properly)

i put my phone into safemode through activator (had safemode set to triple press home button) and went to restore again and it worked

hope this helps someone who runs into the same issue

andrewnguyener
Feb 9, 2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the guide. It worked perfectly on my iPhone 5. It got messed up today and this saved my life.

Maschil
Feb 13, 2013, 02:39 PM
alright guys... im at the wonder "waiting for iphone" part.... just wondering how long should i wait before i conclude i need to do something else....

progress bar doesnt appear to be doing anything.... thanks

I have put the phone in Dfu mode and have gotten error "9" as well

alterian
Feb 23, 2013, 06:12 PM
Im getting error -1 anyone have experience with that one?

lazybump91
Feb 27, 2013, 05:48 AM
Error 21 occurred when restoring iPad :confused:

Brandon0448
Mar 5, 2013, 10:37 PM
Error 21 occurred when restoring iPad :confused:

Try putting your iPad into DFU mode while it is plugged into your computer. Hold power and home button for about 10 seconds. Then let go of the power button while still holding the home button until your computer detects the device. Then restore your iPad.

ipadbaser813
Mar 20, 2013, 11:09 PM
Won't let me restore back up of my ipad due to it being locked. Can't unlock due to it being stuck in boot lock Smh hmmmm. Help...

Brandon0448
Mar 22, 2013, 10:58 PM
Won't let me restore back up of my ipad due to it being locked. Can't unlock due to it being stuck in boot lock Smh hmmmm. Help...

Have you tried putting it into DFU mode?

pman219
Mar 28, 2013, 12:49 PM
I have searched.
And am not 100% certain I've found the answer, so please don't flame me.

Having GPS issues so I want to take my phone in.
Running 6.1.2 jailbroken (obviously)

#1- I don't want them updating to 6.1.3
#2- I don't want them seeing I'm jailbroken bc they won't touch it.

I have my blobs.
So, can I restore to 6.1.2 without the JB
go have it looked at,
then re-jailbreak ?

And a side note, I'm sure that if I get a replacement, it will be running 6.1.3 correct ?

TYIA

clockworkorange
Mar 31, 2013, 03:39 AM
I have searched.
And am not 100% certain I've found the answer, so please don't flame me.

Having GPS issues so I want to take my phone in.
Running 6.1.2 jailbroken (obviously)

#1- I don't want them updating to 6.1.3
#2- I don't want them seeing I'm jailbroken bc they won't touch it.

I have my blobs.
So, can I restore to 6.1.2 without the JB
go have it looked at,
then re-jailbreak ?

And a side note, I'm sure that if I get a replacement, it will be running 6.1.3 correct ?

TYIA

#1: they will most likely ask you to update your firmware to make sure it's not a hardware issue.
# 2: they WILL touch your phone, and will either deny service should they see its jailbroken (and may blacklist your devices' warranty), or ask that you remove the jailbreak, update to the latest firmware and come back.

- blobs at the moment are useless, we're hoping someone finds a way to make them useful again, in the meantime all we can do is save them. So, No, you won't be able to downgrade (unless you have an iPhone 4 or below).

It's not so likely they have updated their stock, they probably still have 6.1.2 on their stock, better hurry though, the weekend is almost over and you may just be too late.

khenryashley
Apr 7, 2013, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=rezzo;14948391]

the iTunes (and the iCloud) backups keep * all * included files/paths used by Cydia and applications/tweaks

My daughter is having my iPad in about 6 weeks but she doesn't want it with the jailbreak.
I had some time on my hands today and i thought i would run my ipad without the jailbreak for the next few weeks so I restored to factory settings then restored it to the backup I did prior to the restore.
I presume from the statement above that the files/paths used by Cydia have been put back onto my iPad.

When I get my new iPad in a few weeks and I do a restore from my old iPad (this one) will these files be put on the new iPad.
If so will this validate the warranty if I have a problem with the iPad.
What is the solution if this is the case.
Thanks

clockworkorange
Apr 9, 2013, 01:09 AM
[QUOTE=rezzo;14948391]

*Snip*

Your new iPad will install the file paths and anything that was backed up, you won't be able to access them unless you are jailbroken.

They'll show up as "Other" in iTunes.

bigalow
Apr 9, 2013, 11:02 AM
I've read many threads on this site and other sites about restoring/upgrading my iPhone4 to 6.1.2 but I am still having issues getting my phone restored. I would greatly appreciate some help from anyone willing to offer. If this is not the proper place for my questions, please kindly point me to the proper location.

Background:
Iphone 4
Version: 6.1 (10B144)
Carrier: AT&T 14.0
Model: MC536LL/A
Modem Firmware: 04.12.05

--Cydia has stored and I have fetched..
iPhone3,1 (xxxxx number) remote blobs:
6.1.2, 6.1, 6.0.1,

--I used redsn0w 0.9.15b3 to stitch the locally saved 6.1.2 shsh files. I used the downloaded ipsw: iPhone3,1_6.1.2_10B146_Restore.ipsw

--I have edited my host file several different ways - with and without commenting out the different IP gs.apple.com addresses. Currently I have the file set to:
#74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

--Used TinyUmbrella-6.12.00 to start TSS server

--I then place my phone in PWNed DFU mode and alt/option + restore iphone in iTunes (11.0.2). At this point itunes begins the restore process but always stalls then ends in the error message:
"The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1601)."

note: I have tried leaving the Redsn0w both running and shut down after placing the phone in PWNed DFU mode.

--If I attempt a similar process without placing the phone in DFU mode 1st (alt/option + restore iphone in iTunes (11.0.2)), I get this result:
"The iPhone "(name) iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (11)." After this process, the iphone has the image on the screen where a usb cable points at the itunes icon.

I feel like I am missing/overlooking something simple. Again, I would greatly appreciate some help from anyone willing to offer. Thanks in advance!

bigalow
Apr 9, 2013, 08:45 PM
oh, my god. this phone is so ugly, but it is so popular in the world. almost all my friends have one. they all say it is good quality, lowest price in the world. but I think it is ugly, why so many people like it? can you explain it to me? see: http://www.ibuygou.com/p-original_xiaomi_mi2s_3g_android_4_1_quad_core_1_7ghz_2gb_ram_16gb_rom_4_3_inch_capacitive_touchscree n_gps_wifi-4648-usd.html?utm_source=onemorething.nl&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=wcm
what does your post have anything to do with the thread subject?

anyone have any suggestions for my post above? thanks

alifaizan
Apr 19, 2013, 08:16 AM
Thank you for this wonderful contribution I really appreciate it :)

Daniela.s
Apr 24, 2013, 02:51 AM
Great thank you

rusty2006
Apr 27, 2013, 01:54 PM
I just attempted to jailbreak my ipad 1 (ios 5.1.1) and it failed the first few times but i kept trying. finally it went through all the steps and worked, i put it on charge and then cydia was gone. How can i fix this? i tried to rejailbreak it but it says it is jailbroken and cant do anything else.

Shockwave78
May 18, 2013, 11:52 AM
So after going through many pages i am still unclear if i can do a clean install of 6.1.2

In the past I just had to change the host file so it did not point to apple, press ctrl and just pick the firmware i wanted to re install.

Still work this way?

Simplicated
May 18, 2013, 12:04 PM
So after going through many pages i am still unclear if i can do a clean install of 6.1.2

In the past I just had to change the host file so it did not point to apple, press ctrl and just pick the firmware i wanted to re install.

Still work this way?

Only works for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4.

Shockwave78
May 18, 2013, 12:05 PM

So you can no longer restore at all back to an older version of iOS on newer devices?

So your pretty much screwed if you ever have to restore then..

avontcu
Jun 3, 2013, 12:04 AM

So, once I click that "restore" button and the device starts being restored - will my iphone be now blank? If it will be blank then how do I get everything back in the device if it is blank.

keepaheadback
Jun 3, 2013, 09:55 PM

Still work this way?

46clems
Jun 30, 2013, 11:28 AM
I have read a few websites and forums trying find the answer to this and most of it is way over my head so I am hoping someone here can help by keeping it simple.

Out of the blue my jailbroken iPhone 3gs begun repeatedly restarting itself until the battery was exhausted. I connected it to my macbook to charge it and accidentally updated it! I go nowhere following online instructions to re-jailbreak it, which left me trapped me on the "activation" screen. So today I got it properly unlocked/jailbroken again and all of my contacts and notes are gone (I expected this, but its frustrating!).

If I connect it iTunes again and sync it with the last back up I have will I get all my info back or is it a dead loss?

My settings are:
Version 4.1 (8B117)
Modem Firmware 06.15.00

and I am unsure which version it was running before I got it jailbroken today. Any SIMPLE instructions would be very much appreciated. :)

iAlphard
Jul 1, 2013, 11:29 AM
I have a question. If i decide to jailbreak my iphone 5 with 6.1.2 and then something in the system went wrong so i want to restore to 6.1.2 and retry to jailbreak it, is it possible to do that? or if you restore the phone it will definitely update to 6.1.3?

krysis419
Aug 28, 2013, 09:52 AM
hi i am new here and i have little knowledge with iphone 3gs cuz i recently had one. I want to restore to update my iphone from 4.1 to 6.1.3 using itunes automatic restoe from apple.....because i have tried diffeent methods to restore but i keep getting errors.....so i want to know if the automatic update from apple will work smoothly.....

TriJetHero
Aug 28, 2013, 11:48 AM
hi i am new here and i have little knowledge with iphone 3gs cuz i recently had one. I want to restore to update my iphone from 4.1 to 6.1.3 using itunes automatic restoe from apple.....because i have tried diffeent methods to restore but i keep getting errors.....so i want to know if the automatic update from apple will work smoothly.....

Is your phone carrier locked?
what is your current BaseBand ( Radio portion of the firmware) you can find it under settings/general/info at the bottom modversion

If it goes smooth depends on the curremt setup

Zeke5720
Sep 17, 2013, 03:42 PM
First off I have NO clue what I am doing. I have a iphone 5 that is jailbroke and would like to upgrade to the new os. I do not care about loosing any or all data on the phone. Any advice on how to go about update to the new os tomarrow?

Once again I have no tech skills. My friend jailbroke my phone but is no longer lives in the area.

TriJetHero
Sep 17, 2013, 11:58 PM
First off I have NO clue what I am doing. I have a iphone 5 that is jailbroke and would like to upgrade to the new os. I do not care about loosing any or all data on the phone. Any advice on how to go about update to the new os tomarrow?

Once again I have no tech skills. My friend jailbroke my phone but is no longer lives in the area.

Just hit restore in itunes

daemon.
Sep 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
Always handy to have a thread like this bookmarked just in case you ever have a brain dead moment lol. :apple:

emkfr
Sep 27, 2013, 06:29 AM
Guys, Is there a trick to update my iPhone 4 currently on iOS 5.0.1 (non-jailbreak) to iOS 6 ?

I know that Apple isn't signing anymore iOS 6 but maybe if I JB my iOS 5, maybe it becomes possible ?

(I do not have shsh blobs for iOS 6)

TriJetHero
Sep 27, 2013, 03:29 PM
Guys, Is there a trick to update my iPhone 4 currently on iOS 5.0.1 (non-jailbreak) to iOS 6 ?

I know that Apple isn't signing anymore iOS 6 but maybe if I JB my iOS 5, maybe it becomes possible ?

(I do not have shsh blobs for iOS 6)

No upgrade without blobs

utvn
Oct 11, 2013, 02:52 PM
I feel like Apple is controlling us in everything. Everything has to be on Itune.

exc
Oct 27, 2013, 01:39 AM
I have an iPad 5.1.1 jailbroken for a while now, and accidentally tried to update it without unjailbreaking. Needless to say, i'm screwed. I've tried using Tiny Umbrella and redsn0w to try to get out of the loop and to restore to 5.1.1, but no luck. I do have saved blobs on cydia for 5.1.1 as well as 6.0 i think, and some earlier versions as far as what redsn0w tell me anyways. DFU mode attempted, no luck restoring from that. Do I have any other options?

TriJetHero
Oct 27, 2013, 02:01 AM
I have an iPad 5.1.1 jailbroken for a while now, and accidentally tried to update it without unjailbreaking. Needless to say, i'm screwed. I've tried using Tiny Umbrella and redsn0w to try to get out of the loop and to restore to 5.1.1, but no luck. I do have saved blobs on cydia for 5.1.1 as well as 6.0 i think, and some earlier versions as far as what redsn0w tell me anyways. DFU mode attempted, no luck restoring from that. Do I have any other options?

Which ipad?

Did you try a hard reset?

On an ipad2 a re-restore from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 is possible with valid blobs and if you did not use an OTA to get to 5.1.1

Use redsn0w, go to Extras/even more/restore and follow instructions.

You'll need to download the 5.1.1 IPSW for that.

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=25156

exc
Oct 27, 2013, 11:36 AM
Which ipad?

Did you try a hard reset?

On an ipad2 a re-restore from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 is possible with valid blobs and if you did not use an OTA to get to 5.1.1

Use redsn0w, go to Extras/even more/restore and follow instructions.

You'll need to download the 5.1.1 IPSW for that.

http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=25156

Hardsetting put me back into recovery.

It's an iPad 3, and I can't remember if I used iTunes or OTA, but I'm leaning towards iTunes. No luck with redsn0w though, it tells me I don't have the blob, but querying cydia through redsnow shows:

iPhone3,1 4237220468014 remote blobs:
4.3.5, 4.3.3, 4.2b3, 4.2.1, 4.1

Do I have the wrong version of 5.1.1? I got the wifi version 5.1.1, which is what I have, but there are AT&T and some other versions. I got my iPad 3 in the apple store canada and it's most definitely not a 3g model...

Should I be using some iPhone 3 firmware or something?

EDIT: Ok...looks like i only have 6.0.1, though I was jailbroken on 5.1.1...i thought cydia automatically saved blobs.

Restoring to iOS 6+ is impossible on A5 right? Am I completely screwed?

TriJetHero
Oct 28, 2013, 08:17 AM
Hardsetting put me back into recovery.

It's an iPad 3, and I can't remember if I used iTunes or OTA, but I'm leaning towards iTunes. No luck with redsn0w though, it tells me I don't have the blob, but querying cydia through redsnow shows:

Do I have the wrong version of 5.1.1? I got the wifi version 5.1.1, which is what I have, but there are AT&T and some other versions. I got my iPad 3 in the apple store canada and it's most definitely not a 3g model...

Should I be using some iPhone 3 firmware or something?

EDIT: Ok...looks like i only have 6.0.1, though I was jailbroken on 5.1.1...i thought cydia automatically saved blobs.

Restoring to iOS 6+ is impossible on A5 right? Am I completely screwed?

Unfortunately Cydia auto-saved 6.0-6.1.2 blobs are invalid.

http://www.saurik.com/id/15

Unless you save the manually direct from Apple with redsn0w, iFaith or TU you are SOL.

rogerveredu
Nov 6, 2013, 11:31 AM
Hi,
I jailbreak my iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 with spirit after reset it worked fine for few minutes and then went off. it is now completely off, I tried to use above instructions but no luck. When I am restoring it with itunes it is giving this error" The iPhone couldn't be restored, the device is not eligible for buildup"****************PkuSSH
Please help I am stuck with this phone.
Regards

Exactly the same thing happened to me last night - I tried to reset my settings via the phone and it stopped booting up. After a terrible nights sleep dreaming about bricked iPhones and lost $$$ I found this guide.

So...

Firstly (as an aside) resetting your data and settings on the phone will not remove the jailbreak - you would have needed to perform a system restore via iTunes (on the summary tab in iTunes click Restore). But your phone is now bricked so you can't get this far.

All you have to do is you follow the instructions in the first post of this thread and you can restore your phone.

Jamesroy
Nov 10, 2013, 09:31 PM
I have a jailbroken iPhone 5. My new gold, 64gb 5s is being delivered tomorrow. My computer has been busted for weeks so my phone is my primary "computer." I need to transfer all my vids, pics, etc. Whats the best way to do that? (I have access to a friends iTunes to backup, etc.) Do I just backup in iTunes, plug in new 5s, and restore from backup? Or backup, plug in new 5s, setup as new device, then restore from backup. I don't want to drag needless jailbrake files over, or screw up the new phone. Any help?

worldbrain
Apr 3, 2014, 12:53 AM
So even if I jailbreak the phone successfully, at a later stage I can just restore the phone? Would this also mean that a complete restore would make the phone network locked again?

Thanks

....can you log into a wireless router connection with internet?