Hi

Do you think when i would have a G4 with 1.33 GHz
some DDR RAM

OS 10.2 (Quartz extreme)
Radeon 8500

and the updated Virtual PC for 10.2

Can I than have a chance to emulate Games Like FIFA 2002
or others ? (Counter Strike)

Games Like UT or Q3 i dont neeed to emulate they are on the Mac but the games wich are not i want to play ...

:)

Or must I waait till G5

what do you think guy ?

kiwi_the_iwik
Jun 6, 2002, 08:06 AM
...Fat chance.

Until Connectix finally integrate some form of DirectX driver into VPC so that we can use our wonderfully powerful graphics cards, instead of currently only producing the graphics via software emulation, we have only 2 hopes -

No hope, and Bob Hope.

Better still, wait for the games to come out on the Mac anyway.

Backtothemac
Jun 6, 2002, 08:15 AM
The answer there is no. The reason is because VPC doesn't have any emulated 3D graphics support. Nor will it anytime in the near future. If you really want to play PC titles that bad, then go pick up a cheap PC from Hell or Screwway. I am not attacking you for this. In fact I have considered it, but that is the only way to play PC titles in your house. VPC will not be able to do it.

Elan0204
Jun 9, 2002, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know if the games from the Command and Conquer series will work in VPC? More specifically, I'm interested in playing Red Alert 2 and the Yuri's Revenge Expansion. Both games only require 2MB of VRAM and NO hardware acceleration is necessary. Has anyone ever tried this out?

ericb88
Jun 9, 2002, 08:51 PM
pick up a dirt cheap pc for like 200 bucks.

Elan0204
Jun 9, 2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by ericb88
pick up a dirt cheap pc for like 200 bucks.

I have a PC, that is why I own the game. When I go back to college in the fall the only computer I will be able to bring with me is the tibook I plan to buy before I go. If anyone would like to make a helpful response I'd really appreciate it.

LethalWolfe
Jun 10, 2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Elan0204
Does anyone know if the games from the Command and Conquer series will work in VPC? More specifically, I'm interested in playing Red Alert 2 and the Yuri's Revenge Expansion. Both games only require 2MB of VRAM and NO hardware acceleration is necessary. Has anyone ever tried this out?

As long as it's 2-D I don't see why you'd have a problem. C&C, WC, and SC aren't very gfx heavy.

Lethal

kiwi_the_iwik
Jun 10, 2002, 06:27 AM
If there's no hardware acceleration, I can't see a problem. Get a demo download first, before you fork out some dosh on the real game - just to check if the specs are suitable.

I've been quite taken with Cossacks: European Wars - I can play it on my G4 Cube at home (albeit slowly). I run Win 98 in VPC 5, but haven't optimised it for the Mac (i.e. running in OS9 rather than OSX is faster, as is streamlining the extensions). Some threads in this forum may be able to help you with the dynamics of speeding up VPC 5.

Otherwise, you have a few other options:

1. Petition the game manufacturers to port the game to the Mac
2. Buy a Wintel Laptop (ugh!)
3. Abstain from gaming and join a monastery
4. Buy the TiBook and play Medal of Honour instead

Good luck!:D

Falleron
Jun 10, 2002, 07:23 AM
Tiberium Sun is playable on VPC 5 (under OSX). I think its better than Red Alert 2! Those Lightning generators are absolute *******.

jadam
Jun 10, 2002, 12:15 PM
well... Counter-Strike does have software acceleration so... maybe, just maybe hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

i want to talk to connectix, and ask for a job their to reroute x86 OpenGL --> OS X OpenGL, that way, we could play hardware accelerated opengl games :)

macmunch
Jun 23, 2002, 05:12 AM
Try this it would be funny !

Guys I just tryed on a G4/500 OS9 with Virtual PC 4 emulating FIFA 2001 its function very well /16MB ATI RAGE

So i think there is no problem with newer Power Macs
ant a Geforce4 TI

:)

kiwi_the_iwik
Jun 23, 2002, 05:20 AM
Virtual PC does not use the graphics boards in your Mac to speed up emulation. Until Connectix addresses this problem, many games will remain unplayable - and therefore remain in the realm of the PC users...:(

voyagerd
Jun 30, 2002, 07:24 PM
Any game that doesn't require a lot of 3D acceleration works on Virtual PC. I use it to play Roller Coaster Tycoon and Star Trek Armada. Armada gets about 1 or two frames per second though. But it's still fun. Anyone know which is the best windows os for games?

jadam
Jul 2, 2002, 10:04 PM
lol, 1 or 2 fps??? have you ever seen 1 or 2 fps??? thats 60frames per minute... really... thats VERY UNPLAYABLE... you probally mean like 10-20fps.

job
Jul 3, 2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by jadam
lol, 1 or 2 fps??? have you ever seen 1 or 2 fps??? thats 60frames per minute... really... thats VERY UNPLAYABLE... you probally mean like 10-20fps.

Think 1-2 FPS = Slide-Show.... :D :p

sparkleytone
Jul 3, 2002, 04:54 AM
cs sux now anyways. all the good players left the game to the hackers. the only way it stays around is for the LAN competition.

mac15
Jul 3, 2002, 06:34 AM
if you can get a copy of realpc, then you can have 3d graphix, thats is if you have a spare pci slot for a voodoo graphix card
it sure beats buying a PC though :)

kiwi_the_iwik
Jul 3, 2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by mac15
if you can get a copy of realpc, then you can have 3d graphix, thats is if you have a spare pci slot for a voodoo graphix card
it sure beats buying a PC though :)

It's a shame that FWB haven't upgraded Real PC. It was really geared to gaming - could you imagine if it was carbonised, with nVidia and ATI support? It would be a jem.

I've already mentioned it in another post, but no-one replied with an explanation:

A while ago, some software developers created a way to use Microsoft's latest DirectX drivers to co-habitate with the Mac, and use it's graphics cards - a big boost for companies who port games to the Mac. If Connectix utilised that method, then wouldn't that work?

Here's hopin'... :)

AlphaTech
Jul 3, 2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by voyagerd
Anyone know which is the best windows os for games?

The one right behind the computer, in just the right spot to kick the heXPee box out of... :D

I have win2k installed on my game peecee, and it works for all current games, and even some of the older ones. I refuse to 'upgrade' to heXPee for a few reasons. Not the least of them the cost. I don't see the need to pay $200 to go to a slightly newer perversion of windblows. IF they offered a $20 'upgrade' I might consider it.

If you are buying a game system, from someplace like AlienWare, get them to toss 2k onto it. Do everything you can to avoid heXPee, ESPECIALLY the 'home' version. If you don't give m$ the info they require to register the home perversion, after 30 days, you have an expensive door stop.

Just another example of how m$ is an evil empire.

guv
Jul 3, 2002, 05:32 PM
[i] Anyone know which is the best windows os for games? [/B]

id say win 98. mainly because win2k donset hav OpenGL support, which as far as me and my computer studies class need to plan Quake3 over the LAN in our school! plus win2k gives us less access privilages so we have trouble with it, and hate it, and im the only mac user out of 13 guys! its a bastard since theyr newer computers and more prowerful which would be better for our games for quake, half life, etc, if we cud accutuly use them...

also, n1 read thethread bout how a 1.5Ghz G4 is just as powerful as a 2.36Ghz P4... then how cum almost all software asks for the same specs for mac and pc??

maynard.
Jul 3, 2002, 05:50 PM
Is it possible to use map editors under VPC (UT, Q3, RTCW, MOHAA, and in the future maybe UT2003)?

AlphaTech
Jul 3, 2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by guv
id say win 98. mainly because win2k donset hav OpenGL support,

*********... I am using OpenGL under win2k. :p

AlphaTech
Jul 3, 2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by maynard.
Is it possible to use map editors under VPC (UT, Q3, RTCW, MOHAA, and in the future maybe UT2003)?

Who knows, unless you get the peecee version of the games, and put them under the VPC part of your Mac.

Personally, I wouldn't use VPC, period, for anything.

job
Jul 3, 2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech

Who knows, unless you get the peecee version of the games, and put them under the VPC part of your Mac.

Personally, I wouldn't use VPC, period, for anything.

As far as I know it was once (sic) possible for you to run UnrealEd through VPC. I have this now outdated link to an old Unreal Tournament website that had step by step instructions on how to strip down VPC to run UED. However, http://www.planetunreal.com/macosx/ does not seem to work anymore :(

madamimadam
Jul 3, 2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by guv

also, n1 read thethread bout how a 1.5Ghz G4 is just as powerful as a 2.36Ghz P4... then how cum almost all software asks for the same specs for mac and pc??

Since when???? I have never seen it... Mac has always had less requirements and that is FAR more showing now

guv
Jul 4, 2002, 05:56 PM
since always! hav u accctuly noticed? or just comparing photoshop and clarisworks 4??

ne game that has good graphix has the same spec as far as i hav noticed. and i hav actuly noticed! mayb diff for real sofware tho!

and other guy who uses opengl under win2k.... where and how????

job
Jul 4, 2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by guv
and other guy who uses opengl under win2k.... where and how????

That would be AlphaTech and I think he could answer that question far better than I could. :D

AlphaTech
Jul 5, 2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by hitman

That would be AlphaTech and I think he could answer that question far better than I could. :D

I ignore people that cannot be bothered to take the time to fully type words in their postings. :p

For that other biatch, here is some info from ATI's site about the w2k drivers for their Radeon [8500] cards (pc)...

Windows 2000 Display Drivers
Recommended Driver - CATALYST™ 02.1
Driver Build 5.13.01.6094
7.72-020524M-004273C
Posted June 13, 2002

This is a fully released and supported display driver for Windows 2000. DirectX 8.1 and OpenGL support are included.

job
Jul 5, 2002, 12:09 AM
I ignore people that cannot be bothered to take the time to fully type words in their postings. :p

I guess than means you ignore a good 50% of the forum members. :D :D

AlphaTech
Jul 5, 2002, 12:12 AM
Did you say something???? :eek: :eek: :eek: lol.... :D

At least MOST of them try to make it work, missing occasional letters is one thing, but that biatch doesn't even make an effort.

I see your lips moving, but nothing worth hearing is coming out. :eek: :eek: :D

job
Jul 5, 2002, 12:15 AM
I see your lips moving, but nothing worth hearing is coming out. :eek: :eek: :D

Should'nt it be : "....but nothing worth listening to is coming out?" :D :D Just pulling your leg man. :p :D

coolocity
Jul 5, 2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by guv

The processor requirements are the same for most MAC / PC games, but that seems to be changing as well. War3 requires a little more. I think that the reason they put those on is because those are the bare minimums you can get away with. And uhm.. please learn how to spell come.. Internet lingo is getting a little scary now, isn't it?

AlphaTech
Jul 5, 2002, 10:39 AM
hitman, did you say something??? :eek: :eek: :D

job
Jul 5, 2002, 10:40 AM
hitman, did you say something??? :eek: :eek: :D

I guess not. :D :D

AlphaTech
Jul 5, 2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by hitman

I guess not. :D :D

At least you can take it in stride, unlike some of the 'users' here... One that comes to mind right away is mymemory... That bubba cannot take a joke. :rolleyes:

job
Jul 5, 2002, 10:49 AM
I'm just going with the flow....:D

There has been a lot of serious discussion in the community forums and some people around here do need to lighten up a bit. :rolleyes: Especially in all those quasi-political threads. Come on people, an online tech forum is really no place for that. Lets talk geek! :D :D

kiwi_the_iwik
Jul 6, 2002, 02:49 AM
Well - bless your heart, hitman! It should be said that a conversation should not include the topics of Politics and Religion. And it was Billy Connolly who once said - "...The actual desire to be a Politician should ban you for life from ever being one. Don't vote - it encourages them!"

(Slightly off-topic!)

Geek is shiek... (...to a point)

Anyhow, getting back to the point at hand - c'mon all of you techhies out there, answer me THIS...

No-one's yet explained to me why Connectix can't use the new PC-compatible DirectX drivers for Macintosh's graphics cards, if only to offload some work from their CPU's to speed up their emulation processes.

Common sense, eh?

You'd think...

;)

jadam
Jul 6, 2002, 10:17 AM
actually, now that i think about it... What connectix would have to do is talk to Nvidia/ATI. Nvidia/ATI could make Drivers for the Video Card for whatever OS is running under VPC. and, instead of trying to emulate the Video Card, those internal Drivers could talk to the Real Nvidia/ATI drivers under OSX, and that would be using HLE, which would help out a lot, and allow for 3D. Now, i dunno about DirectX, But OpenGL is certainly feasible. Counter-Strike uses it also :P

kiwi_the_iwik
Jul 6, 2002, 10:29 AM
Well, a big deal was made recently about some software boffins creating DirectX drivers for the Mac - thus theoretically helping out software companies to quickly port over PC software to the Mac without too much code modifications.

If Connectix were to incorporate these DirectX drivers into VPC's next incarnation, then perhaps our graphics cards can take the heat from the CPU in graphics-intensive operations - namely GAMES!

Well? Sound Feasible? Some responses please....:confused:

LimeiBook86
Jul 24, 2002, 11:36 PM
Well I spoke to Connectix at the Macworld Expo (NY 2002)

They said that Virtual PC is not recomended for games...

Their latest up date is like 5.0.4 I think...

I think they might make a new version around the release of Jaguar :)

Besides i wanna play PC games better also!

job
Jul 25, 2002, 01:23 AM
If you look around the forums there is a thread called "the world's greatest hack" which details running PC games in VPC with full GPU support. Whew, that's enough acronyms for one sentence. :D :p

xApple
Feb 27, 2006, 05:19 PM
Damit, it's like 4 years later and the situation still hasn't changed... and no mac drivers have been adapted... Mircosoft isn't doing a good job... not very astonishing...

Wouldn't it be possible to use come kind of Linux Windows-Emulator and make it run on Mac OS X tru X11 ?

Soulstorm
Feb 27, 2006, 05:54 PM
Damit, it's like 4 years later and the situation still hasn't changed... and no mac drivers have been adapted... Mircosoft isn't doing a good job... not very astonishing...

Wouldn't it be possible to use come kind of Linux Windows-Emulator and make it run on Mac OS X tru X11 ?
Wih the coming of macintels you won't be needing any windows emulator anymore.

Not to mention that Windows will run on Virtual PC (IF it will get ported to OS X x86) flawlessly because it won't need to emulate any processor routines.

macmunch
Feb 27, 2006, 06:19 PM
I look forword to that too ... playing via VPC without emulating ...

By the way I got a mail today "Reply to your Post". I thought what post ?

and than post from 2002 :) Was funny to see ...

madamimadam
Feb 27, 2006, 06:51 PM
Wih the coming of macintels you won't be needing any windows emulator anymore.

Not to mention that Windows will run on Virtual PC (IF it will get ported to OS X x86) flawlessly because it won't need to emulate any processor routines.

Funny this has come up because I'm playing with QEMU on Intel at the moment. A few bugs but as long as you read the instructions it works well

Patmian212
Feb 27, 2006, 06:53 PM
How about WINE on a G4?

madamimadam
Feb 27, 2006, 07:00 PM
How about WINE on a G4?

Biggest problem with WINE is that it isn't compatible with most "worthwhile" apps. If the developers cared, they could make all their apps compatible but they really don't.

Great if you want to use Notepad though ;)

Patmian212
Feb 27, 2006, 07:03 PM
Biggest problem with WINE is that it isn't compatible with most "worthwhile" apps. If the developers cared, they could make all their apps compatible but they really don't.

Great if you want to use Notepad though ;)
So there are no games compatible with wine? What else might work for older games apart from VPC?

ijimk
Feb 27, 2006, 07:13 PM
Do you all think VPC 7 with windows 2000 would run some games like Icewind Dale 2 (required proc 350 mhz recommended 500mhz) and Baldurs gate 2? I am installing on machine in my sig...

madamimadam
Feb 27, 2006, 07:42 PM
So there are no games compatible with wine? What else might work for older games apart from VPC?

I wouldn't say "no games" but you'd want to borrow a copy to test before paying hard earned cash for it.

QEMU is the only other thing I know.... the version for Mac OS X called Q ( Link (http://www.kberg.ch/q/) ) makes use of OpenGL and CoreAudio