Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Hmmm

I've been kinda suspicious of these drives since reading about some firmware/streaming/Journaling problems. Also reading about a couple of failures, and that's alot of data to lose if someone doesn't have backups.

Glad you did.

Also, seeing them on sale today on the web for $136 with free shipping makes me think many retailers are trying to get rid of current inventory, and waiting for new drives with updated firmware.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I almost got a 1.5TB Segate drive for my iMac 2 months ago, then I thought about exactly what happened to you, so I got the 1TB drive - figured that one had the "bugs" worked out.

Glad I did that now. Even if it is almost full just 2 months later. ;)

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
you guys are not alone-in fact drobo and OWC have basically told their customers not to use the drives in their enclosures as they are causing issues.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Well, major bummer. One of my 1.5 TB Seagate drives just failed. Under 1 month, so it's back for a replacement.

Have I ever mentioned how important backups are? ;)

Seagates been having serious issues with their drives lately. I just built a system with a 1TB drive and it crapped out in less than 5 days (PC couldn't see it all). They replaced it with a refurbished drive because it didn't die until 31 days after I bought it from newegg.

The replacement drive keeps killing my Master Boot Partition. I finally have it sort of stable but I'll give it time.

Do a search for the 1.5T drives and you'll see the issue is pretty widespread.

Seagate used to be the premium drive company, but after seeing all the issues, I'm going to start looking elsewhere. Western Digital used to be the cheap versions, I'm starting to think WD is actually producing better stuff.

senorfrog97

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Austin
Yep. Stay away from those drives - they're bad news. I almost jumped on a couple when I saw them going for a GREAT price - well guess I know why the price was so great...

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Seagates been having serious issues with their drives lately. I just built a system with a 1TB drive and it crapped out in less than 5 days (PC couldn't see it all). They replaced it with a refurbished drive because it didn't die until 31 days after I bought it from newegg.

The replacement drive keeps killing my Master Boot Partition. I finally have it sort of stable but I'll give it time.

Do a search for the 1.5T drives and you'll see the issue is pretty widespread.

Seagate used to be the premium drive company, but after seeing all the issues, I'm going to start looking elsewhere. Western Digital used to be the cheap versions, I'm starting to think WD is actually producing better stuff.

I have been using a 160GB WD Passport External HD.
It is amazing and works wonders; never had a problem with it.
Now I think I'm going to get a 1TB WD Desktop External HD since I ran out of space.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Seagate's support is terrible too. I've had 2 or 3 messages from their support saying they'll get the firmware to me quickly, and still I've received nothing. They even had the stupidity of upgrading their ticketing system during the fiasco - so they deleted everyone's support requests and account details. Even contacting them several times since then has failed to get me the new firmware.

Mine is being collected by courier, the online shop I bought it from is giving me a full refund.

I won't be buying seagate products again.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I wanted to get one of these drives and, after learning about the issues, had to content myself with buying a 1TB disk again, which is not ideal.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Always get a backup. Even if it's costly.
The pain of learning the hard way is not worth it! Especially as the 1TB hard drives are coming down in price now. Have had Seagate drives go down, and Maxtor, WD and Lacie external drives all fail in the past. For Macs, the use of a Time Capsule with an external drive or an internal one in a caddy bolted on is v. worthwhile. Usually, for that amount of data, it's taken a long time to curate/create

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.