Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
I just did the upgrade and now none of my rips with 5.1 audio play. The free HD TV shows play fine. None of my other content does. I'm pretty annoyed right now.

thecrunge

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Oxnard,CA
Same here, I was just about to watch a movie when I found out about the software update. After it updated, I went to go start the movie and then nothing. No sound. I had to downgrade back the original factory settings (2.0). This is really disappointing to say the least.:mad:

ppoulos

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
What To Do About 2.3 Update Break in 5.1 Audio

Yes I also noticed the 2.3 update break 5.1 audio. The audio break occurs in any third party processed video, including video produced by Visual Hub or by Handbrake. The 5.1 audio works ONLY on iTunes bought video.

What was even more frustrating is that my Apple TV upgraded to version 2.3 with out me agreeing to it. I left in the morning to go to work, then in the evening the upgrade was complete without my saying so. This is the first time that the upgrade occurred automatically!

I am back to using Apple TV version 2.02. Has anybody figured out what was changed, or more specifically, how to go back to version 2.2 rather than 2.3?

uva25

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
Yes I also noticed the 2.3 update break 5.1 audio. The audio break occurs in any third party processed video, including video produced by Visual Hub or by Handbrake. The 5.1 audio works ONLY on iTunes bought video.

What was even more frustrating is that my Apple TV upgraded to version 2.3 with out me agreeing to it. I left in the morning to go to work, then in the evening the upgrade was complete without my saying so. This is the first time that the upgrade occurred automatically!

I am back to using Apple TV version 2.02. Has anybody figured out what was changed, or more specifically, how to go back to version 2.2 rather than 2.3?
I think you are overstating the issue. I have found no issues since the update. From what I have read, it depends on how things were ripped. If you chose to rip with two tracks so it would work on both Apple TV and on the computer, it still seems to work.

ppoulos

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
Yes I just noted that my problem is that my video files ONLY have AC3 tracks, not both AC3 and stereo ACC tracks. So if I re-encode all my video files (a minor pain in the neck) I can get over the problem - bummer :mad:

So all the video files will get larger - I don't see the reason why Apple did this change!

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
If you think you are saving a ton of space by leaving out the AAC track, you are mistaken. The AAC track is pretty small compared to the AC3 or video tracks. There is a reason that the HB AppleTV preset included both -- it is identical to the way Apple encoded the AppleTV intro video.

Lesson learned.

EDIT: Here's a document on the Apple website dated March 11, 2008 that states exactly what must be present for an encoded file to play AC3 on the AppleTV. Thanks to the user who posted it on the Handbrake forums.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA25199

thecrunge

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Oxnard,CA
My solution for AC3 only dilemma

Just out of curiosity, I took one of my converted movies (a 720p/AC3 .mov file which was created using visualhub) that after the update won't play audio, opened it in QuickTime, took a 6 second AAC formatted clip of silence, added it to the movie, then saved it as a movie. Guess what? It works, automatically selecting the AC3 track for playback, even though the AAC clip is for all intents and purposes useless. I hope this helps!

moralneeeick

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
Shocker!

I have a great deal of custom 5.1 video which now does not work, why have Apple done this? Does anyone know how to revert to 2.2?

SomeTechGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
So how should I be ripping my DVD collection via Handbrake? Do I need to add a second audio track that's not 5.1? In the current version of Handbrake, it does say that the codecs are AAC + AC3 Audio. Does that mean it's already encoding both tracks automatically?

Bickity

macrumors member
May 25, 2007
So how should I be ripping my DVD collection via Handbrake? Do I need to add a second audio track that's not 5.1? In the current version of Handbrake, it does say that the codecs are AAC + AC3 Audio. Does that mean it's already encoding both tracks automatically?

Just stick to the standard AppleTV preset in Handbrake and you are fine.

Nimiety

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
I finally upgraded last night and can confirm:
- any file encoded by handbrake with the AAC+AC3 profile works fine
- any file encoded by visualhub with the 5.1+2.0 profile works fine
- any file encoded with only a 2.0 / AAC track also works fine
- any file encoded with only a 5.1 / AC3 track has no audio
- the extension of the file (.mov or .m4v) has no impact on whether it works or not
- the fix for AC3 only files (copying and pasting an AAC clip into the show/movie in Quicktime) works and the AAC clip can be even just 1/10 of a second

Cheers,
N.....

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I finally upgraded last night and can confirm:
- any file encoded by handbrake with the AAC+AC3 profile works fine
- any file encoded by visualhub with the 5.1+2.0 profile works fine
- any file encoded with only a 2.0 / AAC track also works fine
- any file encoded with only a 5.1 / AC3 track has no audio
- the extension of the file (.mov or .m4v) has no impact on whether it works or not
- the fix for AC3 only files (copying and pasting an AAC clip into the show/movie in Quicktime) works and the AAC clip can be even just 1/10 of a second

Cheers,
N.....

I've noticed that several movies that I added the AAC track and saved have serious playback issues. Either the video stutters or gets stuck while the audio continues. Then the video starts up again at the point where the sound is playing. I think adding the blank audio and saving it to a .mov file screws it up somehow. I reverted ATV to 2.2 ( took 10 min thanks to caveman excellent tip ) and the converted file still stutters or jams up at the same point. About 90 of the 100 files I changed are all having playback issues.

Anyone else experience this?

Thomss

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2008
I have 420 Movies all with AAC+AC3 not had a problem playing back any them so far. (not played all of them, but test a lot of them out)

Even the 720P movies that I have (about 40 of them) all play back smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.