Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Re: PowerMac Edu Prices?

Originally posted by Macrumors
bulk pricing

Bummer. I was hoping for just edu pricing in general. If I ate a lot, would that help?

-p

heuer007

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2003
DAMN, if edu pricing for single purchases went down Id actually consider buying one.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by TranceClubMusic
EDU Prices for Individuals need to be much higher - like 20%

Yes, apple needs to raise education prices because...wait a minute. Dell and the PC lot also offer great price cuts.

Why offer price cuts? A) A mac user now is usually a future mac user b)I'm sure they get some type of goverment tax break for educational sales. c) Universities are more and more going to PCs because they are cheap. Dell already gives large discounts to universities that sign exclusive agreements with them. D) today's students are tomorrows businessmen. People who've used a mac would more likely base their business around a mac platform.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I think he meant DISCOUNTS need to be higher. As in 20 % off. That would be cool. Like the Student Dev program, but you can buy more than 1 computer at the discount.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
oh the joy, finally payment for hours of corrections on my english papers!

Having a mom College prof DOES pay off :\

Too bad she ont get a g5 anyway :(

Away with the PHD

Realy though, any actual significance?

ionas

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
non us pm g5 edu prices?

1. while i welcome this - why do you think this has happend?

2. what about prices for UK, France, Germany and so on?

5thorseman

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2003
Bristol England
EDU Discounts

I don't remember what the prices used to be, so I can't tell if there have been price drops, but my Higher Education discount nets me a G5 1.6Ghz for £1,205 ($2,282) and a dual 1.8 for £1,633 ($3,089). The exchange rate used here is from xe.com, about $1.8/£1. Now looking at the american Apple Store prices.....

Even with the largest discount (14%) an undergraduate can obtain for a single computer for themselves in the UK the standard non-edu prices in the US are $600 cheaper. I don't know about you, but this just seems wrong to me. Seems a bit too extreme actually, I might be mistaken

ionas

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
dont forget to add the tax

prices in us stores are without tax as far as i know.

still apple doesnt get that ppl can actually compare USD to GBP to EUR...
just everyone can - apple has to fix the prices somehow to be at least almost the same in us compared to outside of the us

AVON

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Bulk Prices

Bulk prices are restricted to education institutions only correct?

These would be even lower than those students and faculty individually could get.

Is it possible Apple is trying to off load some stock... like something else was coming?

I'm probably being optimistic... I'm in the market for a G5-RevB

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
yeah we had that before ...european prices are very strange

i made a comparisation in excel where i calculated for 22 apple products(including ipod displays etc.) the price in dollar without tax
and then made the average
at the exchange rate of today 1euro = 1,28 dollar
prices here are 22.1% higher without tax

a few examples:
iMac 15": 14% more expensive
Powermac Dp 1.8: 17,5%
eMac without Superdrive: 20%
iPod 15 GB: 24%
all Powerbooks and TFT Screens: 27-28%

im gonna make the same comparisation later with all edu prices

AVON

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
Europe pricing

^Apple isn't completely to blame for the price differences.

My girlfriend is from the Basque area in Spain, specifically Gernika. Everything electronic is more expensive really. It was cheaper for me to buy and ship her an Epson printer from the USA than it was to purchase there (i think it was about 70 euros difference).

Europe has a different tax structure, and i'm sure some import duties that get put on top these types of things.

aquafina

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2003
NC
Yes, the prices in the US Apple store...

are before any taxes are added (both retail and online).

So if you are comparing, add another 6%-9% to the price (depending on the state you live in). Also, online purchasers must pay shipping, so add another $20-$75 depending on where you live and how quickly you want the goods.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
EDU prices are 24,9 percent higher than edu prices in the US. (without tax)

the edu prices of the 12" powerbooks and 17"screens are over 34% higher

@AVON
there aren't any import duties for computer as far as i know but i will ask my father who works at logistic coporation...he calculates how much importers have to pay ...

most apple computers are made in ireland: no taxes for importing into the EU... if there are any import duties on computer parts from taiwan/asia etc. they are 1-3% these duties don't add up to 28 % for powerbooks

electronics aren't more expansive on general... some things are cheaper others more expensive ...

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Sometimes depends on the ineptitude of the college store. The one where I work will often stick the wrong price tag on things/in their computers. You can wind up (as one student) getting a brand new G4 iBook for $799 (whoops) or in my case, getting iLife for $19.99.

michaelal

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2003
Spokane, WA
Prices for MACs need to be much lower across the board, not just educational prices. Apple's arrogance in this matter has cost them dearly over the years. I love the new G5s, but the fact that they are so expensive and until recently have no kept up in speed really bites me!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Originally posted by michaelal
Prices for MACs need to be much lower across the board, not just educational prices. Apple's arrogance in this matter has cost them dearly over the years. I love the new G5s, but the fact that they are so expensive and until recently have no kept up in speed really bites me!

There are three main reasons why Apple prices their Macs the way they do. Number 1 is that Apple likes high profit margins and needs them to survive. Number 2 is all the hardware and software included with a Mac that you won't find (as easily) in a PC. Number 3, and perhaps the most important, is that all these packages of hardware, software, and profit margin are priced into the Mac from the beginning, whereas on PCs such things are usually extras that aren't included in the base price of the computer.

dougmckee

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
variability in edu pricing across stores

Personally, I think the edu pricing is pretty good considering it's nearly impossible to find actual discounts from anywhere else! I would much rather have ~10% off (e.g., $2699 vs. $2999 for dual 2-Ghz) than a free bottom-of-the-line printer and a little extra memory!

But what's really interesting is that the individual campus stores seem to have some flexibility in pricing -- right now the UCLA store is offering dual 1.8's for $1999! That's a solid 20% off and would be tempting if I hadn't been holding out for the rev B's since MWSF.... sigh....

Doug

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
hmmm... could apple be trying to encourage the use of G5s in more cluster computers? Cluster computers that educational instutitions buy in ... wait for it ... BULK?

AVON

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2003
All the macs I've bought lately have a made in Taiwan sticker on them...

But I'm not a tax expert. All I know is what I see really. I have a Nikon CoolPix camera that I bought here in the states, paid $220 for it... saw it in a show in Bilbao for $280 (and this was before the super strong euro of present)

But yeah, toys are too expensive.

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
UCLA does discount Mac prices rather nicely.
I believe that they discount the price themselfs, i.e subsedize it for their students. There aren't many universities that do the same.

sprocklingcat

macrumors member
May 4, 2002
KS
The prices at the Campus Reseller that I work for has discounts between 250-300 per G5 and then $100+ if it is purchased with a display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.