PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think of Firmware 2.3?

BoulderBum
Nov 19, 2008, 11:54 PM
Since it's silly not to have a thread about Apple TV's new firmware in the Apple TV forum (sorry, mods, it really is), I thought I'd ask what everyone thinks about thinks about the new firmware?

I especially dig capability to stream to my Airport Express. I have an Airport Express in my kitchen/living room where we like to listen to music, and up to now, I've had to leave my computer running all day to make sure I support the ability to bring up music on a whim.

The thing I don't like is that when I adjust the volume of the Airport Express via the "Remote" app, it adjusts the volume on the Apple TV, too. I wish they were seperate. I want different volume levels for the different rooms.

skrutzen
Nov 20, 2008, 12:11 AM
I thinks it's a pile of crap. I can no longer play any audio from my Handbrake rips. No more 5.1 audio. None of the other updates did this.

BoulderBum
Nov 20, 2008, 01:54 AM
That sucks.

I wonder why they broke compatibility. :confused:

albarran9
Nov 20, 2008, 01:58 AM
it kills boxee too. which means I cant watch hulu or any other internet tv show/movie or audio. :mad::eek:

BoulderBum
Nov 20, 2008, 02:11 AM
I actually tried to warn about that here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=603212, but the thread got locked and buried.

Thanks for bringing it back up so people know.

Volante
Nov 20, 2008, 02:33 AM
Broken audio sux, fixed subtitle support rox. :rolleyes:

Michael CM1
Nov 20, 2008, 02:43 AM
It's a neat update, but still not what I expected. The playlists actually work, but I haven't checked to see if they keep playing movies like the ones in iTunes do. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no organization to them. I have my TV shows in order in playlists by episode, and Apple TV doesn't give a flying flip about that. THIS is the kind of stuff that's annoying as hell since iTunes has done it since, um, 2001?

The bug where ATV tells me that a file format is invalid within 10 minutes of playing the same exact file is still there. It often involves some sort of restart of the computer it's synced to. It could be a PowerPC thing, but I'm not sure.

For the person who complained about the non-working HandBrake rips, I didn't have that problem (any more than before as I just mentioned above). The Simpsons Movie, which I just did yesterday, worked fine. Dolby Digital and all. Might've been a bad rip or you may have encountered a bug.

Dear Apple: Just make the stinkin' OS/UI work like iTunes. That's what we want. iTunes on a TV. Geez.

Tweeksy
Nov 20, 2008, 02:56 AM
The bug where ATV tells me that a file format is invalid within 10 minutes of playing the same exact file is still there. It often involves some sort of restart of the computer it's synced to. It could be a PowerPC thing, but I'm not sure.

If it's the same problem I've seen a few times, it's really just an inappropriate error message, it says this on my ATV (file format invalid) if the network connection is broken for any reason, like turning the pc off, the wireless router off etc. Sometimes I just have to restart iTunes (to be fair newer versions of ATV firmware and iTunes seem to be reducing that problem!

fivepoint
Nov 20, 2008, 09:29 AM
I thinks it's a pile of crap. I can no longer play any audio from my Handbrake rips. No more 5.1 audio. None of the other updates did this.

Has anyone been able to verify this? Is skrutzen the ONLY one with this problem? There's no way I'm updating if this is even a possibility. :(

hitekalex
Nov 20, 2008, 09:36 AM
Has anyone been able to verify this? Is skrutzen the ONLY one with this problem? There's no way I'm updating if this is even a possibility. :(

There are a lot of users reporting the same problem. So far, I have seen only 1 user reporting his rips still working with AC3. So yeah, I'd say a show stopper.

davidwarren
Nov 20, 2008, 09:38 AM
glad I didn't upgrade yet.

dynaflash
Nov 20, 2008, 09:42 AM
I can't update to test til this afternoon, when you say it won't play audio, do you mean it won't play the dd 5.1 and reverts to the aac dpl2 track ? or it doesn't play audio at all ?

slapppy
Nov 20, 2008, 09:43 AM
It's a neat update, but still not what I expected. The playlists actually work, but I haven't checked to see if they keep playing movies like the ones in iTunes do. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no organization to them. I have my TV shows in order in playlists by episode, and Apple TV doesn't give a flying flip about that. THIS is the kind of stuff that's annoying as hell since iTunes has done it since, um, 2001?

For the person who complained about the non-working HandBrake rips, I didn't have that problem (any more than before as I just mentioned above). The Simpsons Movie, which I just did yesterday, worked fine. Dolby Digital and all. Might've been a bad rip or you may have encountered a bug.

Dear Apple: Just make the stinkin' OS/UI work like iTunes. That's what we want. iTunes on a TV. Geez.

You sure about that? Perhaps it's just playing your standard 2 channels if you did the HB presets, which includes the other audio channel.

dynaflash
Nov 20, 2008, 09:43 AM
The Simpsons Movie, which I just did yesterday, worked fine. Dolby Digital and all. Might've been a bad rip or you may have encountered a bug.

What version of HB did you use for the rip that worked ? Was it 0.9.2 or was it one of the developer snapshots ?

dynaflash
Nov 20, 2008, 09:48 AM
will verify in a few hours myself, but here is a report on the hb forums that says it worked.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7734#p43191

spice weasel
Nov 20, 2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the link, Dyna. I upgraded last night but didn't get a chance to play around with it. Then I found out this morning that a lot of people are having problems with 5.1.

I know almost nothing about this stuff, but I wonder if it could be an issue with which track is AAC and which is AC-3 passthrough?

dynaflash
Nov 20, 2008, 10:00 AM
I know almost nothing about this stuff, but I wonder if it could be an issue with which track is AAC and which is AC-3 passthrough?

In 0.9.2 HB always does the aac track as "Stereo" and enables it.
AC3 is "Surround" and is disabled.

This exactly matches the Intro movie for the atv. Which we have confirmed is unchanged for 2.3.

We are getting other reports at HB that its working fine.

Possibly the failed encodes were done with only the AC3 track, and the user omitted the aac track that the HB ATV preset uses ?

That worked in atv 2.2 but may not with 2.3.

spice weasel
Nov 20, 2008, 10:20 AM
For those not following the discussion on the HB forums, it seems that the problem only affects people who encoded their movies with 5.1 and no AAC track. If you have both, it should work fine. Phew! (although my heart goes out to all who might have to re-do their collections.)

dynaflash
Nov 20, 2008, 10:24 AM
Seems confirmed (will try it out myself anyway in a while) but this user is quite familiar with HB and the atv. http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7734#p43191

zedsdead
Nov 20, 2008, 10:26 AM
There are no problems with 5.1 with mine movies and music dvd's, and I always have both 5.1 and AAC so I agree with the above poster.

On the other side, I am not happy so far with 2.3. It is hard to believe, but the menu system has gotten even more laggy and sluggish. Really pathetic.

As much as I want new features, Apple needs to stabilize the ATV. It's performance is really bad. I miss 1.1.

skrutzen
Nov 20, 2008, 10:35 AM
That's the problem for me. I only included the AC3 track in my rips. I never felt the need to add the AAC track as well. Oh well, guess I'm re-ripping my movies.

jaw04005
Nov 20, 2008, 10:38 AM
On the other side, I am not happy so far with 2.3. It is hard to believe, but the menu system has gotten even more laggy and sluggish. Really pathetic.

As much as I want new features, Apple needs to stabilize the ATV. It's performance is really bad. I miss 1.1.

I had this problem after the 2.2 update. Do a factory restore and then download the 2.3 update (clean).

2.3 is the fastest (in terms of performance) update yet for me.

kiranmk2
Nov 20, 2008, 06:05 PM
2.2 has been really sluggish for a couple of days and I found it locked up (would not power up from the remote) the last two times. The remote became extremely sluggish (I had to wait for a few seconds after each push). After the 2.3 update this carried on. On 2.2 my Harmony and the apple remote happily coexisted, but in 2.3 I had to unpair one of them (the apple one) and now the menu has sped back up. Let's hope it stays this fast.

slapppy
Nov 20, 2008, 06:14 PM
That's the problem for me. I only included the AC3 track in my rips. I never felt the need to add the AAC track as well. Oh well, guess I'm re-ripping my movies.

You might as well wait a bit. I read at the HB forums that an upcoming new version of HB is just around the corner.

themanfromvlad
Nov 20, 2008, 11:24 PM
2.2 was unstable, installed 2.3 last night and it kept freezing and crashing. I did a Factory restore and updated all over again, and all is well. I will say that after I did the restore my Apple TV was back at Firmware 1.1 for awhile, and I really enjoyed navigating it.

Anyone else notice that Apple took away a feature? Clicking the "up" button twice while watching a video no longer gives you the show info!

skrutzen
Nov 21, 2008, 01:31 AM
You might as well wait a bit. I read at the HB forums that an upcoming new version of HB is just around the corner.
Do you happen to know what it is they're going to include in the new version? I've started re-ripping my movies but haven't started encoding any of them yet. Will it be worth it to wait? I think the current version is a good one.

markfc
Nov 21, 2008, 03:42 AM
23 is a great update, still plays 5.1 from hb encoded movies. :-)

Tweeksy
Nov 21, 2008, 04:32 AM
Do you happen to know what it is they're going to include in the new version? I've started re-ripping my movies but haven't started encoding any of them yet. Will it be worth it to wait? I think the current version is a good one.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/roadmap

Check it out (93% complete) if you look at the tickets, you can see the changes, including Blu-ray support.

If anyone is capable of completing the last two tickets, I can send you some red-bull :)

Michael CM1
Nov 21, 2008, 04:37 AM
What version of HB did you use for the rip that worked ? Was it 0.9.2 or was it one of the developer snapshots ?

I used 0.9.2. I didn't know what a developer snapshot was until a few hours ago when I downloaded one. I'm having trouble with that rip of The Simpsons Movie. About 5 minutes in, the video freezes, goes to B&W, and then the sound starts over at the beginning with the Fox music. If you skip forward a couple of minutes, everything else is fine. But I'm downloading all sorts of apps to try to get this to work (VLC, FairMount).

I also encoded the files with both the stereo and surround tracks.

If someone above was asking about if I was sure about using Dolby Digital, I just know that before I had the DD output off on the ATV. After I turned that on, the sound was a lot better and the "DD" logo came up on my receiver. It's not Blu-ray Disc-quality sound, but it's an improvement over stereo.

NightStorm
Nov 21, 2008, 07:22 AM
I used 0.9.2. I didn't know what a developer snapshot was until a few hours ago when I downloaded one. I'm having trouble with that rip of The Simpsons Movie. About 5 minutes in, the video freezes, goes to B&W, and then the sound starts over at the beginning with the Fox music. If you skip forward a couple of minutes, everything else is fine. But I'm downloading all sorts of apps to try to get this to work (VLC, FairMount).

I also encoded the files with both the stereo and surround tracks.

If someone above was asking about if I was sure about using Dolby Digital, I just know that before I had the DD output off on the ATV. After I turned that on, the sound was a lot better and the "DD" logo came up on my receiver. It's not Blu-ray Disc-quality sound, but it's an improvement over stereo.
If I remember this disc, you need to choose the other long title for it to encode properly (there are two long titles... one is the exact length of the movie). You're running into some of the fun protection Fox tried to use on this disc.

Diveflo
Nov 21, 2008, 08:36 AM
Did any one else notice this:
I have two different audio tracks in my mp4 movies. One of the audio tracks is disabled so I can change it in iTunes. Pre 2.3 the ATV played the audio track I set in the options (prefered language...). Now it only playes the enabled track.
If I enable the second audio track again I can't play the movie in iTunes because it will play both audio tracks at once...

/workaround found:
to play the second "undetermined" audio track: hold play and choose audio:"off".

Volante
Nov 21, 2008, 09:05 AM
Anyone know if handbrake will have DTS to AC3 transcoding, or if it's planned?

dynaflash
Nov 21, 2008, 09:43 AM
If anyone is capable of completing the last two tickets, I can send you some red-bull :)

Hehe, just havent updated the trac yet ;)

fivepoint
Nov 21, 2008, 10:01 AM
Downloaded it last night... everything seems snappier, I couldn't get my Dish Network remote to work right with it, all of my movies still work (AC3 and AAC tracks through AppleTV preset in Handbrake).

Tweeksy
Nov 24, 2008, 06:46 AM
Hehe, just havent updated the trac yet ;)

We close then? is it just in final testing or something?

Has anyone tried Blu-ray encoding with it that you know of? excited about how well that will work with the ATV!

Cordeiro
Nov 24, 2008, 07:00 AM

Before you start re-ripping:
Do the following:
record a non-sound clip with 5 or 6 seconds.
Then open your movie(mv4) that has only the ac3 track and add this track and then save again the file.
That it will add the aac 'mark' that ATV(2.3) needs to decode AC3 tracks.
5min maximum per movie and your problem is solved. You can do that with Quick time pro ( search help in quick time to see how to add a sound track...)

Cheers.
Júlio

Tweeksy
Nov 24, 2008, 01:23 PM
We close then? is it just in final testing or something?

Has anyone tried Blu-ray encoding with it that you know of? excited about how well that will work with the ATV!

Ah, you weren't kidding about not updating trac, just seen 0.93 is out! How many Red-Bulls did it take? :)

Cave Man
Nov 24, 2008, 01:27 PM

Umm - yeah. See my thread entitled "Blu-Ray to Apple TV".

crotalus99
Nov 25, 2008, 12:57 PM

I like the organization I have with the iTunes. I hate the way that it becomes just one huge line of episodes on atv. I installed Boxee a couple weeks ago and it does a beautiful job with the TV shows. You get a large icon of the show and then when you click it breaks them into seasons and then episodes. It's the way Apple should have done it.

Movies are not as nice though if you have lots. I still use the regular atv menu for those.

NightStorm
Nov 25, 2008, 01:15 PM
Maybe it's just me... but I swear streaming HD is working much better. Pre-2.3, I would get a A/V sync issues, especially in the first couple minutes of the stream. Now they all play back very smoothly -- both iTunes-purchased HD shows and the one HD encode I made myself.

mallbritton
Nov 25, 2008, 07:17 PM
Maybe it's just me... but I swear streaming HD is working much better. Pre-2.3, I would get a A/V sync issues, especially in the first couple minutes of the stream. Now they all play back very smoothly -- both iTunes-purchased HD shows and the one HD encode I made myself.

It's not just you (isn't that what we all long to hear?). I was watching a streaming HD video last night and it was almost as smooth as a SD video I had encoded myself. This is the single best new feature of the 2.3 updates, I think.

Regards,
Michael

wwooden
Nov 26, 2008, 12:13 PM
I decided to update my AppleTV from 2.2 to 2.3 last night. I was having problems connecting to boxee and my AppleTV would freeze all the time so I figured this might help.

All my movies still play with "Dolby Digital" displayed on my receiver so that is really all I worried about. I'm sure an update will come out for boxee to work with 2.3 so I'll reinstall when that happens. I need to give the update a couple more days to see if it solves my connection issues; my unit loses all its network info every other day it seems.

studlybw
Nov 26, 2008, 02:13 PM
It adds features but it will also create chapter markers that are incompatible with MetaX. If you're tagging your movies and you rewrite the chapter markers MetaX will strip the chapter markers away and leave you with nothing.
Just a warning. You might want to wait before doing much conversion with the new Handbrake.

NightStorm
Nov 26, 2008, 02:23 PM
It adds features but it will also create chapter markers that are incompatible with MetaX. If you're tagging your movies and you rewrite the chapter markers MetaX will strip the chapter markers away and leave you with nothing.
Just a warning. You might want to wait before doing much conversion with the new Handbrake.

Not true, just uncheck the checkbox on the chapters tab in MetaX and it won't touch the chapters.

And what does this have to do with the release of AppleTV 2.3?

Deadlyheadmen
Nov 26, 2008, 03:53 PM
I dont know why they removed the 5.1 . It was fine from 2.0 all the way to 2.2. Why remove it now all of a sudden. I dont see the point of using both aac and ace when i encode. Thanks apple for making yet another thing a pain in the arse

NightStorm
Nov 26, 2008, 04:12 PM
I dont know why they removed the 5.1 . It was fine from 2.0 all the way to 2.2. Why remove it now all of a sudden. I dont see the point of using both aac and ace when i encode. Thanks apple for making yet another thing a pain in the arse
The point being to ensure compatibility since Apple only has an obligation to maintain compatibility with content they provide and the support information they post regarding their products.

(And before you or anyone else thinks I'm an "Apple Fanboy" I should point out that everyday I want to hit my iMac with a baseball bat and run it over with my car because it likes to randomly freeze ever since upgrading to 10.5.)

studlybw
Nov 27, 2008, 11:40 AM
Not true, just uncheck the checkbox on the chapters tab in MetaX and it won't touch the chapters.

And what does this have to do with the release of AppleTV 2.3?

Ha! Absolutely nothing. I upgraded Handbrake and got so worked up about the loss of a few movies that I forgot it was the ATV upgrade and not Handbrake. I'm an idiot!

k21975
Nov 27, 2008, 01:46 PM
I just noticed that my HD movies now have an 'HD' icon next to them. Is this a 2.3 feature or has it been there? I remember TV shows having HD next to them, but not movies. Does this possibly indicate that Apple will be selling HD movies soon?

Cave Man
Nov 27, 2008, 02:00 PM
No, it's in 2.2 as well.

Joesinla
Nov 28, 2008, 07:06 PM
I had the worst problem with my wifi password, ATV kept forgetting my wifi password. Tryed everything, new unit even. Must be my internet setup then? noooope, re setup everything, still kept forgetting my password. This new update has fixed this issue, now i don't have to keep entering my password with the stupid remote.