Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesheleys

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Hello,

I just updated my AppleTV to version 2.3 and when I try to get it to recognize my Dish Network Remote I can get through the first option, setting up the "Up" button, but then on the next buttons I get a "AppleTV has already learned this function" message. Any ideas how to get past this?

Thanks

thesheleys

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
I was able to get this to work. I had to program the AUX button on the Dish Network Remote to a DVD player and then setup the AppleTV. Works great.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
More details on this, i tried this last night and got through all the buttons but when i finished they didnt perform the correct actions.

thesheleys

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
What I did was I programmed the AUX key on the remote to run a DVD player, the manual tells you how to setup the button, using the codes in the back of the Dish Network Manual. I just randomly picked one. I think it was a Panasonic DVD player. Then once the AUX key was set to run that DVD player I went to the AppleTV to setup the buttons and everything worked great.

Hope that helps.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
What I did was I programmed the AUX key on the remote to run a DVD player, the manual tells you how to setup the button, using the codes in the back of the Dish Network Manual. I just randomly picked one. I think it was a Panasonic DVD player. Then once the AUX key was set to run that DVD player I went to the AppleTV to setup the buttons and everything worked great.

Hope that helps.

Sorry to ressurect the old thread, but is it possible to just program the ATV to work on the DVD button, or do you have to use the AUX?

gt1948

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Dish remote

Sorry to ressurect the old thread, but is it possible to just program the ATV to work on the DVD button, or do you have to use the AUX?

Were you able to get ATV to work on your Dish remote? How did you set it up?

Thanks

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Were you able to get ATV to work on your Dish remote? How did you set it up?

Thanks

I did, actually. And though I said "DVD button" on the above post, the button I was actually thinking of is the VCR button. I just went into the ATV's settings > Remotes section and followed the directions to set up the navigation buttons and the playback controls. It worked like a charm and has full functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.